Thanks Dad!

Sorry for your loss, Dave. it is a Tough thing. My Dad has been gone for almost 4 years now. Thankfully, I have a ton of wonderful memories and i Hope you do as well.

We went through something similar with my Dad in 06 (copd/pacemaker etc). What really connected was your comments about his demeanour being close to the vest. That generation was tough as nails but sometimes to their disadvantage. My condolences.

That generation is special. My Dad turned 18 in '41. Guys that age had a sense of pride and purpose. We baby boomers owe a lot to them.

BigBlock, please feel free to add more stories of Dad.
I like the simple title of this thread and can see it becoming a "Let me tell you 'bout my Dad" kinda thing.

Sorry for your loss, Dave. it is a Tough thing. My Dad has been gone for almost 4 years now. Thankfully, I have a ton of wonderful memories and i Hope you do as well.
Your story makes me glad for the more time I had with my dad. Thanks.

So sorry for your loss Dave. It doesn't matter the age or health, you are never prepared for loosing a parent. Thinking of you in this difficult time.

Deepest Condolences from Sabrina, and me Dave. Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a real trooper! Battled through quite a bit.

Dave,
Sorry for your loss, I know the feeling of him going in for surgery and not coming out. That is the way mine passed back in 1979. Enjoy the wonderful memories you had with him, and tell your children all about him.
Bill

My heart goes out to you Dave. A very difficult time for sure. And kudos to his significant other who probably made his life better in many ways and gave him good advice that probably enhanced the quality of his life and prolonged his stay here as well. You will be in my prayers for some time now. He obviously raised a fine, hard working and intelligent son too from what I have witnessed in your posts. Many reasons to be grateful - so hoping you can focus on those blessings now and heal soon.

Condolences to both here about losing there fathers. Don't know how old Dave's father was but Jame's father was the same age as my father right now. He tells me now and then that I will need to be the one who handles things as he feels his second wife will just fall apart at the seams. So I need to keep my cell phone with me which for the last 10 years I never did.

Fiona and I extend our deepest sympathy to the three of you.

My folks are gone too, Mom in 2012, Dad in 2013.

Like Will said, there is a worldwide family on this forum here for all those at times of loss, on behalf of whom I wish you the best for the future and strength for all the arrangements to come until his affairs have been concluded.

Very sorry to hear this Dave.

And my heartfelt condolences to all here who have experienced a loss.

This is a great "second family" and we welcome these threads to let folks share their memories.

All I can say is that if your Dad's are still on this side of the earth that you cherish the time you have left with him.
Thank you for that comment, lost my mom in Feb this year and my Dad turns 88 this week. This serves as a reminder to go hang out with him.

Dave, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

BigBlock, please feel free to add more stories of Dad.
I like the simple title of this thread and can see it becoming a "Let me tell you 'bout my Dad" kinda thing

My Dad was.born on 12/24/41 right in the living room of my Grandparents house. I could not imagine bringing a child into the world 17 days after Pearl Harbor and the start of our involvement in WW2 coming out of the depression. Kudos to my grandparents, knowing my grandfather he was probably worrying, my grandmother "ahh just another day".
It was always my grandmother's dream to open a store, so most of my dad and his brother time was working there, they lived above and behind, so he would have you believe.
It was a nieghborhood store until the nieghborhood was all bought by the Jones & Laughlin steel corp to expand operations, seeming like stroke of bad luck, they began to look for a new place further into the south hills of Pittsburgh all the while keeping the present store open. The store basically ended up next to a huge industrial construction project and later right outside the 29th Street gate of J & L south side works along with a couple of bars that also did quite well. The building is still there everything around it is gone including the massive open hearth mill.
To say they were busy is a understatement, the store floors were redone by my grandfather when the club moved out and they opened in 1948. I remember helping in 1979-80 when a drunk driver ran into the storefront pulling up tounge and groove floorboards that were literally worn down to 1/4" or less from 3/4" that's how much foot traffic was in that little store. The prosperity of the store allowed them to send each of thier four children to college. My dad went to a couple of schools in West Virginia and ended up landing in Johnson City TN at ETSU where he met my mother and after a few years even after they had graduated the unlikely couple got married. A few years later I was born.

I'll leave this here for now because it takes a while to get this down because I have to leave it now and again.
Feel free to leave a story about your dad especially some of the recent lost heros. Do not feel as if you are highjacking I like the idea.

Guys can pretty much get an idea of thoughts on my Dad through my posts and a couple of my garage pictorials.
We're blessed when we can call him Dad and best friend. Mine passed days shy of his 90th birthday, kicked back in his Lazyboy.

Probably most of the guys read the post I did about my dad on the 20th. Hats off to all the special dads out there who had us grow up to be good fathers to our children.

Back