The Admiral's getting paint.

why does it have to be "as new", Stan?

We aren't "as new" either. We have creased skin, loose hair and age, too.

We have a life that we lived and for me it is the same for an automobile. It has a history, too and that is why I try to keep patina cars alive, too.

You can restore a car every year but it is original only once

Carsten
Repairing all the things that have deteriorated over the years, to me, is preventing further deterioration which I think of as a crime.
If the hose breaks, replace it with a molded hose, not a flex hose.
If the A. C. is not working, don't remove it. Fix it.
If the heater core is leaking, don't bypass it. Fix it.

While I understand the appeal of patina, I've seen Will's car and it should be painted
because not to would result in further deterioration since it gets a lot of use. In this case, leaving the patina is akin to neglect, actually, not preservation.

Nice, wasnt the original plan to keep the Patina?

No ...... Never an option for me. Others piped in about keeping it as is, but I'm old school. I like a nice shiny finish, As original, which although the Admiral has never been painted, is not. ( Sorry Carsten). I never saw a new 1969 anything on the lot in 69 with primer showing through and surface rust. The admiral has been modified well beyond original by mother nature.

So Will are you painting it in sections at different times?

This time in the shop will result in the entire top and tailgate area being refinished Chris. The top was showing some moderate surface rust and minor pitting. Although I had treated the rust with a convertor it was just a band aid. After the New Orleans event in march it will go back into the shop and, (hopefully), be completed in time for the trip to Michigan in May.

It's not going to happen anytime soon but I want to have my Imp painted. It really needs it and it's not going anywhere.

I'm glad to hear you say that Matt. Your Imp is beautiful as it is. I remember looking at it at Carlisle and imagining what a fresh coat of silver would look like on it.

Last edited:
Ok cool. Just in case you haven't already thought of it make sure they paint the areas around the tailgate the same time. That way when they paint the rest you won't have two different shades next to each other.

Ok cool. Just in case you haven't already thought of it make sure they paint the areas around the tailgate the same time. That way when they paint the rest you won't have two different shades next to each other.

Yep. That's the plan. The entire area between the vertical moldings and up into the top will be refinished The air diverter will provide a good "break" line on the "D" pillars.

Repairing all the things that have deteriorated over the years, to me, is preventing further deterioration which I think of as a crime.
If the hose breaks, replace it with a molded hose, not a flex hose.
If the A. C. is not working, don't remove it. Fix it.
If the heater core is leaking, don't bypass it. Fix it.

While I understand the appeal of patina, I've seen Will's car and it should be painted
because not to would result in further deterioration since it gets a lot of use. In this case, leaving the patina is akin to neglect, actually, not preservation.

I am 100% with Stan here... "patina" on a car that has weak paint and is in weather is begging for rust. Without ever having seen Will's wagon I would like to see thin or broken paint redone. I have never removed any intact systems from any vehicle just because they were broken. Fix it, or at least keep it so it can be fixed... then at least the next guy has a chance to make it right. I hate seeing open A/C components, its the death of the remaining system. Flex hoses have torn the neck out of so many radiators, it is beyond me why so many would want to use them. When forced to I understand, but because of impatience or convenience, I just don't get it.

I'm not a painter, but understand the color matching issues painting in stages could create. I have faith Will has a plan and she will look great when finished. AFAIAC the biggest reason for paint is to preserve metal, looking good is a bonus. UV from being outside will kill a car fast once the paint is weak... and then how do you bring it back?

you can keep original faded paint outside.
Just make sure it is save during the winter time (inside a dry home). Of course you should keep it out of the weather for longer periods anyway.

I usually park the repainted cars outside (as they are damaged due to repaint anyway) and keep the original paint cars out of the environment

you can keep original faded paint outside.
Just make sure it is save during the winter time (inside a dry home). Of course you should keep it out of the weather for longer periods anyway.

I usually park the repainted cars outside (as they are damaged due to repaint anyway) and keep the original paint cars out of the environment

Damn you Carsten....... Damn you

I like shiny cars and I like original paint too. There's a point where faded paint and the so called "patina" gets to the point of where it looks like one of the cars I used to buy to drive in the winter.

I agree

But the line is different for every person.

Some don't like it if there is slightly primer coming through on the upper door from the drivers arm while others have enough if there is only paint left on lower 5 inches of the car.

I've seen examples of cars with clear coated patina when prepared properly actually it is as good as paint in preventing further deterioration. If patina really turns your crank and you do it that way to each his own I guess. In my view if you are going to that expense you may as well just paint the car properly.

I've seen examples of cars with clear coated patina when prepared properly actually it is as good as paint
Wait. Patina comes from aging gracefully.
When you stop, preserve, and showcase that patina, it is no longer patina but merely a different expression of a paint job.

I would NEVER put clearcoat on any original paint.
Because it is not original.

Again I own some original paint cars with thin and worn original paint.
Some of them since 20+ years.
I do drive them to shows and other occasions but have them stored indoors the rest of time. None of them has gotten worse over the years.

Carsten

I've seen examples of cars with clear coated patina when prepared properly actually it is as good as paint in preventing further deterioration. If patina really turns your crank and you do it that way to each his own I guess. In my view if you are going to that expense you may as well just paint the car properly.

Im not against the idea. It preserves the car in a 40 or 50 year old state of as found, not much different than a coat of wax... Is it?

Back