The Saga of the Ugly Duckling

I've enjoyed reading about you bringing this car back to life! It reminds me of my first Mopar, also 20 years ago. It was nearly identical- same color green 68 NYer 4-dr sedan, I even put HP manifolds and 2.5" pipes back to the muffler then 2.25" out the back. I also thought it was the ugliest car I'd ever seen but I ended up loving it and it turned me into a C-Body guy. That car is long gone but my 440 survives in my current '68 300. :)

Keep up the great work! It's great seeing your kids help out, too!

I've enjoyed reading about you bringing this car back to life! It reminds me of my first Mopar, also 20 years ago. It was nearly identical- same color green 68 NYer 4-dr sedan, I even put HP manifolds and 2.5" pipes back to the muffler then 2.25" out the back. I also thought it was the ugliest car I'd ever seen but I ended up loving it and it turned me into a C-Body guy. That car is long gone but my 440 survives in my current '68 300. :)

Keep up the great work! It's great seeing your kids help out, too!
Thanks!

It's been sometime since I've updated this thread. Last fall my AC clutch failed which rather suddenly made me realize that the compressor wasn't any good. She eat the belts off lickety split. Fortunately I was only about 5 miles from home and I managed to make it back. This was bad timing because I had hope to take my 85 yr old father for a ride the next day before he headed back to TX, ugh.

Anyway this caused me to put her in the garage. One thing lead to another and I ended up pulling the top end of the motor apart so that I could remove two busted exhaust manifold studs. Once I had the heads removed I took them into work where one of the welders welded a nut to the studs and backed them out for me. I took this opportunity to blast and paint the intake manifold (sorry I don't have any pictures handy right now). I also used this chance to install the oil pressure and water temp senders for the aftermarket gauges I picked up. For the oil sender I had to put a 4" pipe nipple in to get it up where it would clear everything. Not the way I wanted to do it, but it worked.
IMG_6547.JPG

The engine looked clean inside so I was pleased with that. I've had it all put back together for some time now, but I hadn't fired up. Today I fired it up and bleed the coolant.

After all of this I think that I want to switch over RV-2 to a Sanden system. In one of the other threads I see that most everything can purchased rather reasonably. I guess the trickiest part will be the hoses. I'd sure like to see some pictures of how some other guys ran the hoses. I'm scratching my head a bit trying to figure out how everything will be routed. Here's a thread talking about the swap. Who has upgraded from RV-2 to Sanden? If anyone is willing to offer up some pictures I'd be grateful.

I've also had a pesky little electrical problem show up. I hooked up the battery; crawled into start it and realized I didn't have the key. When I got the key and got back in I suddenly had no power, as in the dome and nothing else was working. I checked power form the battery to the firewall and all was good. Today when I went to check the power under the dash I had power. I don't mind working on electrical problems, but intermittent problems can drive you absolutely nuts. I don't like issues like this so I'm going to have to try to duplicate the problem so that I can find it. I noticed that someone previously had taped up the wires under the dash so I'm wondering what I will find there.:( I'm pretty sure it was before the splice in the wiring because as I said nothing had power.

I'll try to get a picture of the engine with the painted intake on it posted up.

Back