The toys that made a difference to you...

Thanks Jim 68Cuda...repost back and even better with the links. Passion plus artistry plus imagination plus skill equals what we see here. Nicely done.

:sSig_goodjob:

That's amazing Jim, nice work!

Again, thank you to all that have posted and I hope more neat toys/stories come in.

Since many of you still have a few of your childhood toys and posted pics, I dusted off my Crusader 101 for a posing. Yes, thats still the original box. The old girl is still in pretty good shape, despite 3-4 good years of usage 50 years ago, and here's why.

My Dad used this "toy" as as "tool" to teach me responsibility: the car couldnt got outside in the dirt (it would foul the mechanics), help me put it away in its box (which is why i still have the box), gave me a little dust brush to keep it clean, kept the bigger cousins/neighbor kids with the broken toys from trying to ride it (which would have surely killed it). etc.

Anyway, this car had tons of chrome-plated parts, a very detailed dash with "readable" gauges, a console with floor shifter, tinted glass, visors flipped up/down, "beige guy" was molded wearing a driving jacket and loafers and he's tool around with one hand (my Dad drove that way, so did I when i got old enough).
Getting that giddy feeling..just like Christmas Day 1964:love5:

IMG_6383.jpgIMG_6385.jpgIMG_6386.jpgIMG_6387.jpgIMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6388.jpg

Last edited:
One more...Christmas 1963 I got a Jimmy Jet. The Super 8 home movies from that day still exist and me grinnin' ear to ear opening the box with this thing in it. The photo is taken from the Internet as I honestly don't know what became of this toy.

The little jet in the window was fixed vertically, but the wheel could move it side to side, and was viewed over a backlit, translucent landscape that scrolled under it given the illusion of flight. Hours and hours spent with this one.

I was sure I was gonna be a doctor, lawyer, or a fighter pilot...genetics cruely dealt me a blow as i didnt have un-corrected 20/20 vision and couldnt become a "top gun." Didnt become either of the other two professionals either.

3798500d5f3be80f.jpg

I look back at my stuff and I read the posts here from others.. many of us had/have toys (planes, trains, and automobiles, bikes, and trikes, and push/pull toys, erector sets, etc) conveying speed, imagination, freedom, building, mechanical workings, creativity, etc, Any wonder we still are like that 30-40-50-60 years later?

Are we "born" this way, or did we "learn" it from our environments? Maybe both. Interesting question for quiet contemplation ..who knew the power of FCBO? :icon_surprised:

Wow, that is a rudimentary video game.

yeah, i think that's a good observation..thats a "mechanical" video screen on this toy which was introduced in 1960. Same company that did the Crusader 101..Deluxe Reading.

I forgot it shot rockets..its cooler than I remember. Check it out in operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k9q9aShSzE

Those of you with Hot Wheels probably already know these things...I just learned it (assuming this info is reliable) checking into this thread.

at0825-1969-Pink-Beach-Bomb.jpg

1969 Pink Rear-Loading Volkswagen Beach Bomb prototype. Only one known to exist..reportedly sold for over $70K?

Anyway, here are rest of top ten rare ones according to this source, some worth a few thousand dollars.

http://www.antiquetrader.com/features/top_10_hot_wheels_cars_of_all_time

Thats a cool link with the different Hot Wheels. I remember having a couple of those mavericks of course I'm sure mine were the regular production mighty maverick. I moved a guy when I used to do house hold goods (mover) he was really into those hotwheels taliked all about going out and buying the whole lot of them on their release dates had been doing it for years, i must have packed and moved about 30 3.1 cartons full of those things never opened just cardboard boxes full of brand new hot wheels and his "valuable" ones he was taking in the car with him I guess I can see why now.

Thats a cool link with the different Hot Wheels. I remember having a couple of those mavericks of course I'm sure mine were the regular production mighty maverick. I moved a guy when I used to do house hold goods (mover) he was really into those hotwheels taliked all about going out and buying the whole lot of them on their release dates had been doing it for years, i must have packed and moved about 30 3.1 cartons full of those things never opened just cardboard boxes full of brand new hot wheels and his "valuable" ones he was taking in the car with him I guess I can see why now.

your outfit moved a "crazy" guy with a bunch of Hot Wheels, huh? crazy like a fox. :yes:

at most I had 20-30 of them..none of them "valuable" today as best I can recall. as a "collectible" Hot Wheels are a bigger deal than i ever imagined.

For Christmas 1968, I got a shitpot full of Hot Wheels (first year!) and Matchbox cars (the ones built in England). Well over 200 cars, plus two tire-shaped carriers and lots of Hot Wheels track. Oh, and my Grandma gave me underwear...always the practical one, was she! Of all of those, I have only the dark green Firebird convertible HW, and the 1968 Mercury Parklane station wagon MB car. I do have several of the early cars I've picked up at yard sales and such over the years, but those two are the only ones that I got in 1968 that I still have.

Another cool one I remember was the Evel Knievel motorcycle jump kit. This was a cycle with the Evel "action figure" (broken bones not included!), that you set on a launcher, spun up the rear wheel, then set the cycle off across the room/yard/driveway. Very cool set-up! My little brother had this in the early '70s.

evel%20knievel%20stunt%20cycle.jpg

US cars in Turkey used to be pretty popular as so called Dolmus Taxis Kind of a car pool taxi which usually had a Diesel engine swapped in.

Istanbul_Dolmus_1974-w768.jpg

Istanbul_Dolmus_1974-w768.jpg

In the early '90s, there were '46 - '48 DeSotos still in use as livery cars in Ankara. Occasionally, you could see a Chrysler from that time, too.

We used to build pull trucks out of the stompers. I built the mac daddy of all. I took the electric motor out of an Erector set (the one with clear plastic covering it), hooked it up to a HO train transformer and built a chassis. The only stomper part was the body, and not to scale of course. The only downfall was the wires running to it. A short leash.

We used to build pull trucks out of the stompers. I built the mac daddy of all. I took the electric motor out of an Erector set (the one with clear plastic covering it), hooked it up to a HO train transformer and built a chassis. The only stomper part was the body, and not to scale of course. The only downfall was the wires running to it. A short leash.

once a gearhead always one huh? :icon_smile:

Stompers was intro'd in the 1980's and I was too old by then. Take a peek...like most things its a bigger deal than i thought.

http://www.route21.com/stompers/

Back