The toys that made a difference to you...

DSCI0006.jpg

Here's two Nylint Chevrolet pickups from the late 70s that I got from my US relatives and the Buddy L Ford wrecker from the early 60s of a friend's brother who grew up in Philadelphia then.

DSCI0006.jpg

Here's two Nylint Chevrolet pickups from the late 70s that I got from my US relatives and the Buddy L Ford wrecker from the early 60s of a friend's brother who grew up in Philadelphia then.

nice...didnt know Nylint was around in the 70's?

Buddy L...i had one of these (not this actual one) early 60's. got it by drivin my mother nuts with the jingle. "you can trust your car to the man who wears the star...the big bright Texaco star".

funny the stuff that sticks in your head...i still got this 50 year old "earworm" in my head...the beauty of the technical age we live in ensures i will keep it forever.

10153131_1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zxOTDHIBQ

So it is true then. There WAS actually a time when gas station attendants spoke english, wore uniforms, and didn't yack in unintelligible dialects/languages while on a cell phone pumping your gas. Thought that was just an urban myth or legend.

But they still didn't put the dipstick all the way down to sell you a quart of oil. ;)

That Texaco truck reminded me of this Nylint GMC Astro 18 wheeler I got in 1980

DSCI0007.jpg

DSCI0007.jpg

So it is true then. There WAS actually a time when gas station attendants spoke english, wore uniforms, and didn't yack in unintelligible dialects/languages while on a cell phone pumping your gas. Thought that was just an urban myth or legend.

Yup...by the mid sixties it was more of an "idea" than for real where i grew up. not all the guys had uniforms, but they did come buzzin around your car two at time, waving at your kids (like me, in the backseat, with NO seatbelt).

Sorry for the commercial plug before/after first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE25Uzm3jNw

Plus they had toys (this one I didnt get tho...the old man put his foot down on some things and it was this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxus9w13OIs

nice...didnt know Nylint was around in the 70's?

Buddy L...i had one of these (not this actual one) early 60's. got it by drivin my mother nuts with the jingle. "you can trust your car to the man who wears the star...the big bright Texaco star".

funny the stuff that sticks in your head...i still got this 50 year old "earworm" in my head...the beauty of the technical age we live in ensures i will keep it forever.

10153131_1.jpg

I still have my red Texaco truck!!!

I had chance to speak to an esteemed FCBO member about the toys..not the "big boy/girl" kind that weigh a couple of tons..of my youth that helped fan/spark the flames of today's passion for iron and steel.

I had many but one stands out.

HNZw9-u7ppYl9Vf68QvNqw.jpg

"Santa Claus" picked it up at our local A&P supermarket just in time for Christmas 1964. Man oh man. Crusader 101. I dont have many things left from my youth...I still have this toy 50 years later. Me, the beige guy, and my sisters' Barbie dolls took many an adventure.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/23404-1964-crusader-101-by-deluxe-reading

Please post a picture or a reference to the toys of your era that made an impact...the pedal car, the soap box racer, the Hot Wheel set, the pedal/motorized bike, the model car, building kit, train set, push toy, whatever..on you that resonates to the present. Maybe you still have it, like I still have my Crusader 101?
I have some Nylint and Tonka vehicles as well as diecast cars,and of course, Hotwheels.

HPIM5951.jpg

HPIM5952.jpg

HPIM5953.jpg

HPIM5954.jpg

HPIM3094.jpg

HPIM5158.jpg

HPIM4865.jpg

HPIM4863.jpg

HPIM4862.jpg

can you imagine them sellin chemistry kits for kids nowa days....
I got one for xmas in the 50's. Now THERE was a chemistry kit.
I remember spending all my time trying to make a bomb.
Now all kids have to do is go on the internet and they can make nuclear bombs, pressure cooker bombs, fertilizer bombs, suicide bomb vests........
Just a few key words in the search box.
Imagination, curiosity, and motivation has been totally 100% sucked out of our youth in the crucial learning years.

Damn, I forgot all about the chemistry set! That, the Lincoln Logs, and the Spyrograph. Those were all cool things in my childhood. I even had a few 1/24-scale dealer demo cars that dad got me from the local Chevy dealer. He and the owner were good buddies.

Couple more things to add to this dormant thread. one for sure, another I hope.

My sister thinks she located some things from our youth. Story is too long/personal to go into but some of my and my siblings childhood toys wound up in two different places (you can figure it out) along about 1970.

The "I Hope" toy. Our original View-Master and many of the slides may have been found. I will post when I confirm its the Viewer we got in Christmas 1962 and not some later vintage/some other kids' stuff.

For the unfamiliar or the under-age among us, a 3-D viewing "toy" that was actually educational. We had the typical cartoons -- Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Woody Woodpecker -- of the era, but later we got the Gemini Missions, and geology, and ancient Egypt, and you name it. Wonderful learning device.

Put the slide (reel) in the slot on top of viewer, read between the eyepieces in the little window to get description of the scene, look through the eyepieces and see the scene, push down on the lever on the right to advance the slide to the next scene to tell the story. Oh, you needed a light-source from the opposite side to illuminate the slides.

il_570xN.739552349_si5w.jpg

Typical images below...obviously in 2-D here so not quite the "real" experience ... As kids, we thought they were "really in there" as the images were quite vivid. I found a couple online I actually remember from 50 years ago.

Yogi-Bear-02.jpg

2575574159_a50fd28581.jpg

Found this on Ebay. Yes I DEFINITELY remember this reel.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The Find. My recollection is this was birthday gift along about 1965 and last seen about 1970.

The real deal, box and all. The posts were broken but the pieces still there - Super-Glue to the rescue.

Red Guy is missing his name - I don't recall it. Blue guy is the "Blue Bomber" -- "he
don't punch so well no more" as his left jab is a bit soft..but hey he's doing "ok" for 50 years old :icon_cool:

Another "supervised" toy like my Crusader 101 - couldnt leave the house, put it away when done, etc - then I outgrew it while it was still functioning so it survived.

Rockem Sockem 1.jpgRockem Sockem 2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVB2mZP3nI

Rockem Sockem 1.jpg

Rockem Sockem 2.jpg

My brother in SoCal has one of the double lens cameras to take those 3-D view-master pix and all the equipment to mount the little slidez in the wheelz. As a side bar that kid(He's 68 now) also haz one of the old 10"X20" box cameras that you slide the negatives in and out the side and lift the lenz cover off and start counting all while having ah bag over your head.

Damn, I forgot all about the chemistry set! That, the Lincoln Logs, and the Spyrograph. Those were all cool things in my childhood. I even had a few 1/24-scale dealer demo cars that dad got me from the local Chevy dealer. He and the owner were good buddies.

I meant to repost the following a LONG time ago. This thread was going strong when an FCBO technical glitch lost several hours of postings..ALL THREADS .. one evening. Half of the members reposted and half (about 15 posts) didnt get to.

I also had a Spirograph. Circa 1969. Did hundreds of designs. Didnt know it at the time, but I was learning complex mathematics that I didnt really understand until my college years.

KENNERS_SPIROGRAPH_DRAWING_SET_401_BOX_LID.JPG

1967_KENNERS_SPIROGRAPH_DRAWING_SET_401_BOX_LID_BOOKLETS_TRANSPARENT_WHEELS_RINGS_RACKS_PENS_PINS.JPG

spirograph.jpg

Then yes Lincoln Logs. I recall this kit with great clarity circa 1965 or thereabouts. my mother even joined in -- she was a big board game nut (Chutes and Ladders, Game of Life, Mystery Date) but dug the Lincoln Logs.

vkm78_lincolnlogs.png

650_pieces_vintage_lincoln_logs_old_original_style_all_wood_b52c4826.jpg

That Lincoln log set just turned up again when we packed up things to move to the new house plus a Marx steam Train set.

One more...the board games (and the "girl" toys) i just mentioned..in commercials.

Yes, I had sisters and had to endure the torture of Mystery Date, Chatty Cathy, and the EZ Bake Oven (until we set it on fire - nobody hurt but the "oven was toast"),

Seriously, really good family memories with these games (Yahtzee, Barrel of Monkeys, Twister, Sorry, Battleship, Mousetrap, Trouble, Candyland, and a dozen others...), and even some of the "girl" toys with my mom and sisters.

I created new memories with my kids JUST because of that childhood experience..at 28 and 26 my kids recall that stuff fondly..makes the "old man" feel like he did something right along the way. :pumping heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-qKX3jPBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcBl_Eps_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ScEl4ehsE

The Toys

Still have mine, along with all my Hotwheels, Sizzlers, etc. & this cool folding Aquafon!

AQ2.jpg

AQ3.jpg

Last edited:
Loved the Lincoln Logs, we had a great set of them growing up and I sure wish I knew what happened to them. Probably went by way of a garage sale. I also was very fond of the game of "Life", it had cars...

Loved the Lincoln Logs, we had a great set of them growing up and I sure wish I knew what happened to them. Probably went by way of a garage sale. I also was very fond of the game of "Life", it had cars...

thats funny...i liked "Life" for the cars too. plus i would "rock-paper-scissors" my sibs/friends for the race car in "Monoply".

1960-filledcockpit.jpg

Last edited:
Back