Tool tips

I haven’t seen a post on unique uses of tools, so I’m starting one.

Screwdrivers have this specific shape for a reason:

B6419F70-C81E-4E77-AEC3-007424057A9A.jpeg

Maybe not a tip, but more of a "How did I get along without this?" This screwdriver has turned out to be really handy. It's not something you use all the time, but it works great when you need it.

It's an impact Philips screwdriver. It turns 12 degrees when you smack the end with a hammer. Perfect for removing stuck trim screws. Impact drivers have been around for years, but this is a lot easier to work with. Comes in a larger size (#3 tip) too.

Amazon product ASIN B003BI8HHQ

61a86ihs6WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71ngMh+PoqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had hoped this thread would catch on.... Let's see if we can get this going..

Fun with pool noodles!

If you are over 5' tall, you've probably almost scalped yourself on the hood safety catch.

GKHAdws.jpg

A hunk of pool noodle does the trick...

JNcSREy.jpg

And storage is easy... I just toss it in front of the radiator so it's always there when I need it. This one has been riding around in there for a few years now.

joRq6ia.jpg

Another pool noodle on my ancient floor jack. Keeps the handle from banging the car. Note red lug nut holder.

K7nZ2Bx.jpg

You guys opened a whole new world for me with pool noodles. I thought they were just for having American Gladiator style fights with your friends in the pool!

I actually used them to stabilize my outboard motor hydraulic steering rams when trailering my bass boat.

I had to change the left rear axle studs on the 300L. It's a long story, the front left was already converted to right hand, and I really needed to either change the front back to left hand or the left rear to right hand. I really wanted to have lefts and rights, but I didn't want 3 rights and 1 left.... Easy to get right hand studs and lug nuts, and easier to change the rears, so that made the decision for me.

Here's the tip... I have a broken air chisel bit that I rounded the end a little with a grinder.

aoPJaku.jpg

Then I slipped a piece of 1/2 rubber tubing over the end.

LJhZM5R.jpg

And while I didn't take a pic of actually knocking them out... The rubber tubing slips over the stud. A couple seconds with the air chisel gets the stud out nice and clean AND reusable!

KvJwyAT.jpg

Taking the stud replacement a little farther.

I found a $10 tool that makes installing the new ones a little easier. Normally, a lug nut turned around and some washers will do the job, but this really worked well.

It's basically a collar with a tapered hole on one side and a bearing on the other.

j6yFFyV.jpg

7TWj7Ho.jpg

3199bTG.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B0B7DPDGKZ

I noted a little "catch" on one of the studs as I threaded on a new lug nut and got out my rethreader to clean it up. I bought this set a few years ago and I don't know how I got through life until then. Everyone should have a set of these in their box. These are better for this task than a die because these are made to clean up rather than cut a thread.

7qLb6LD.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00DTEFSWYSpeaking of lug nuts. I bought a new set because these were worn. That's something to watch for.
qntOAam.jpg

And since we're changing tires, here's something I learned from my Dad. He was hurt in a fork lift accident many years ago, so lifting a tire would mean a lot of pain. I didn't think about it or I would have taken a picture while I did it.

What's great is this works when you have jacked the car up just enough to get the wheel off. The hardest place to lift a tire is when it's near the floor.

You slide your breaker bar under the tire and use it as a lever to lit the tire. Kind of like this (except imagine the tire is off the ground and the bar is under it) A big screwdriver also works well.

RtkDbyP.jpg

This is one I figured out today... You need to pound the wheel covers on, but using a rubber mallet might leave dents and your hands already hurt enough that you dont want to use just your hands.

Place the rubber mallet like shown and then hit the head with your hand. This worked really slick for me.

VrjZIk4.jpg

Taking the stud replacement a little farther.

I found a $10 tool that makes installing the new ones a little easier. Normally, a lug nut turned around and some washers will do the job, but this really worked well.

It's basically a collar with a tapered hole on one side and a bearing on the other.

View attachment 602839
View attachment 602840
View attachment 602841

Amazon product ASIN B0B7DPDGKZ
The lug nuts on my Ford Super Duty trucks have a similar design that doesn’t gall the aluminum rim.

And since we're changing tires, here's something I learned from my Dad. He was hurt in a fork lift accident many years ago, so lifting a tire would mean a lot of pain. I didn't think about it or I would have taken a picture while I did it.

What's great is this works when you have jacked the car up just enough to get the wheel off. The hardest place to lift a tire is when it's near the floor.

You slide your breaker bar under the tire and use it as a lever to lit the tire. Kind of like this (except imagine the tire is off the ground and the bar is under it) A big screwdriver also works well.

View attachment 602846

This is one I figured out today... You need to pound the wheel covers on, but using a rubber mallet might leave dents and your hands already hurt enough that you dont want to use just your hands.

Place the rubber mallet like shown and then hit the head with your hand. This worked really slick for me.

View attachment 602847
Regarding the rubber mallet - yes.
The lever for heavier wheels is a good idea. I think that I am going to have to do something different to remove the wheels on my RV (I need to check and probably replace the brakes - it’s got over 55k miles on it).

I'd love to see this thread get some more posts... Surely a bunch of youse guys have some good tips.

Here's a couple...

I recently had to do a radiator swap. The trans line was dripping and I grabbed a foam ear plug. I rolled it between my fingers, like you do before you insert it in your ear, and stuck it in the line. After a few seconds, it swelled up and nicely plugged the line and stopped the drip. The bright green helps you see it while putting it back together too.

53hcimD.jpg

And speaking of swapping radiators.... I had the correct size radiator for my '65 sitting on the shelf. Problem is it came out of a early 70's A body. There were already extra holes drilled to put it in an early A body, and that made sure it fit, but the kicker was the lower hose is 1 1/2" diameter for the small block while the big block in my car has a 1 3/4" diameter. Years ago, I had this same problem and came up with this solution... and with a little searching, found the hose again and it works out great. One end is 1 1/2" and the other is 1 3/4". It's a little long, and does rub in a couple spots so a couple pieces of old hose in the proper spots solves that.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBHFF263?impressionRank=1

nAdbEsw.jpg

If you are draining a radiator and as usual find the fluid just runs everywhere but into the bucket you can use a big piece of aluminum foil to fold and make a nice form fitting catchment panel/funnel and get the fluid to run nice and clean into your pail.

Since we're talking about draining anti-freeze, it can be a real mess to remove a heater core. If you take the hoses off, there is still quite a bit of anti-freeze in the core that will spill all over anything that you don't want anti-freeze on (like the carpet).

What I do is empty my little shop-vac and remove the filter. I put the hose over one of the hose nipples sticking out of the firewall and it sucks the anti-freeze out. Most of the time it will seal well enough to the firewall, but if it doesn't, a little duct tape around the nozzle and nipple will take care of it.

Short handle round point shovel for installing tires.
Line up tire, insert tip of shovel under tire, press down , push tire over studs, install lug nuts.

Back