Transmission Filter

JohnB

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Newport with a 361. From what I've read so far, all 361's came with a 727 Trans. Will any 727 Filter work, or do I need to figure out what specific flavor of 727 I have?

I have a 1963 Newport with a 361. From what I've read so far, all 361's came with a 727 Trans. Will any 727 Filter work, or do I need to figure out what specific flavor of 727 I have?
Because your trans has a rear pump, you need the filter with the second hole. Basically, you can use a filter for an early trans in a later trans, but not the other way around. The later filter is a little larger.

This is the best pic I could find showing the difference.

1718580739235.png

You MIGHT have abn inline atf filter rather than an internal one. Check the cooler lines for such. Looks kind of like a fuel filter.

CBODY67
I believe 1961 was the last year for that inline filter, but it does make sense to check for an inline filter. You never know...

My '63 Max had the inline filter and the one in the trans pan. If you still have the inline filter take it off. Mine was clogged and the weak point is the converter/front pump seal. At one point, I was on the road, and it was poring out faster than I could put it in!

Back