Valve cover gaskets

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My valve covers. Used RTV Blue and Fel-pro gaskets to seal them up. That worked great, absolutely no leaks at all the first time. Unfortunately I just had to remove them to get at the heads. Now the damn gasket material will not separate from the RTV and remove off the cover itself. Any sure fire way or tricks to remove the old RTV and gasket from the aluminum with ruining the surface in such a way that it will never seal again?

IMG_4172.jpgIMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

A very thin scrapper, and bunch of time. Only way your going to get it off and cleaned up.

A little trick I have picked up from...??? Anyway you can make life a bit easier on yourself if you wipe down the head and the underside of the valve cover with a thin coat of oil. Then when you install the new gaskets...with RTV on both sides...just tighten them down about half way. Then let the RTV set up for a coupe hours. Once the RTV has set up finish torquing them down. They will seal better, and "should" come off nice and clean next time you need to remove them.

Thanks. I guess it's just gonna take a little bit of patience and time.to deal.with. I really don't want to toss.these out..

YO Gary. Web search: "Real gaskets Tennessee" And search out RB rocker cover gaskets. They're made of solid silicone and a tad more $ then Felpro but they're the last gaskets you'll ever buy for that car no matter how often you R+R 'um. Follow the instructions that are basically put 'um on clean and dry and torque to spec. I bought their 727 gasket and installed it dry and torqued it to 25" lbs on the Batwagon and it never dripped another drop. Do I care that they are red? hell no!!!!!!!! Can't see the dam thingz anyway! I much prefer to not mark my territory, Jer

I installed the basic cork Fel-Pro gasket with no silicon. Not a drop of oil. Same product for the oil pan, with great result. Cheap and a perfect fit.

how about throwing the ugly "mopar performance" valve covers away and instlling original correct versions?

Carsten

YO Gary. Web search: "Real gaskets Tennessee" And search out RB rocker cover gaskets. They're made of solid silicone and a tad more $ then Felpro but they're the last gaskets you'll ever buy for that car no matter how often you R+R 'um. Follow the instructions that are basically put 'um on clean and dry and torque to spec. I bought their 727 gasket and installed it dry and torqued it to 25" lbs on the Batwagon and it never dripped another drop. Do I care that they are red? hell no!!!!!!!! Can't see the dam thingz anyway! I much prefer to not mark my territory, Jer
Thanks Jer, I'll check that out for sure. I thought I saw a thread where you were talking with someone else about these a while ago?

I installed the basic cork Fel-Pro gasket with no silicon. Not a drop of oil. Same product for the oil pan, with great result. Cheap and a perfect fit.
You gotta be kidding me?! NO silicon at all?!?! You torqued them to spec? Damn that's brave. No leaks yet??

What do you have to wash parts in? Our 2 parts washers at work have mineral spirits in them and it softens the rtv and it comes off easier. You could also use a wire brush on a drill. I use a small cup brush 1 or 2 in.

Yeah Gary I did but I have "0" memory of who, why, or when? All I know iz that I really hate to do anything thing twice, even if I have to pop ah few $'s more. Thatz why when I rebuilt the 2.5L TII for the little Scamper Pickup It got a Cometic Head Gasket and all new ARP boltz! Same reason when I did the timing beltz on the 3.5L in the 300M ah while back it got ah new water pump while I waz in there. Now Our Grand Daughter haz ah bullet proof ride that will take her thru' 2 more yearz of High School and 4 more yearz at UNC Wilmington or Duke with just oil and filter changez and maybe ah new set of shoez!

Gary....

I also have the "hated" Mopar Performance valve covers and I use FelPro 1612 high performance gaskets with no RTV and they NEVER leak. They are rubber coated fiber gaskets. Get them from AAP $29.99 (take off 20% if you order on their website) or Jeg's for $22.99. There are 2 different FelPro 1612 gaskets, the one I described is the one you want...the other set is just rubber. I looked up a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440...you are looking for the high performance set...rubber coated fiber gaskets.

375-1612.jpg

Gary....

I also have the "hated" Mopar Performance valve covers and I use FelPro 1612 high performance gaskets with no RTV and they NEVER leak. They are rubber coated fiber gaskets. Get them from AAP $29.99 (take off 20% if you order on their website) or Jeg's for $22.99. There are 2 different FelPro 1612 gaskets, the one I described is the one you want...the other set is just rubber. I looked up a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440...you are looking for the high performance set...rubber coated fiber gaskets.

375-1612.jpg
Those are the ones I use. No leaks and no sealant.

You gotta be kidding me?! NO silicon at all?!?! You torqued them to spec? Damn that's brave. No leaks yet??

I torqued them to spec. OK I did silicon them to the valve covers, but not to the heads.

I will admit I have used a similar product that Jer is explaining with outstanding results on a different car. They have been on that car for 4 years now and the only time it has never leaked in my 31 years of ownership. I personally will go that route if and probably when these leak.

Thanks guys.

BullDog: I'm gonna try some of that CRC to remove the RTV and old gasket material off I guess before I do anything. I really like these valve covers and don't want to damage them. Hopefully I won't have to make a mess of them.

I have a pair of Mopar Performance valve covers on my 360 in my truck. I have never used sealant on them and haven't had any leak problems. I just buy the good quality felpro High performance gaskets.

Back