For Sale Very Sought After Forward Look Car - Very Nice Restoration Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roll a new car off the showroom floor and subject it to concourse judging and you will likely be disappointed in the results.
Compaired to what is described as a #1 car by most value guide/judging standards a new car won't make the cut.
Take a new car apart, clean and detail everything, adjust the gaps and buff the paint and you may have a chance.

I'd say most people expect
Roll a new car off the showroom floor and subject it to concourse judging and you will likely be disappointed in the results.
Compaired to what is described as a #1 car by most value guide/judging standards a new car won't make the cut.
Take a new car apart, clean and detail everything, adjust the gaps and buff the paint and you may have a chance.

I agree with Will. A show car is what a #1 car is by the definitions and real life expecatations

Really. In judging, by the MCA for Mustangs, that car would get the full 700 points as that is their Concours class which is exact from factory. They did make a Thorough Bred class for the professionals who did everything with NOS parts and perfect paint. I remember in the early oughts there were heated debates about paint and deductions. Many felt orange peel was bad and that glass smooth surfaces were the best. Actually glass smooth surfaces do make up, many times, for poor painting technique and environment. Perfect conditions will always yield orange peel once the paint flows out and then is forced dried on the paint line. When I have painted I have had only a few bits of debris but when I have cut and buffed I have always left some orange peel.

What you are describing to me is not a #1 car but a show car that you look at much like a Monet or van Gogh.

While we are on the subject what are the groups thoughts on a 58 NY 4door in very rough shape, bondo in several locations missing trim but running and driving 354 Hemi for $2k? Have an opportunity but it will require a complete restoration and a lot of parts scrounging....is it worth it in the end based on it being a 58 NY?
IMG_6375.PNG
IMG_6376.PNG
IMG_6377.PNG
IMG_6379.PNG
IMG_6380.PNG

While we are on the subject what are the groups thoughts on a 58 NY 4door in very rough shape, bondo in several locations missing trim but running and driving 354 Hemi for $2k? Have an opportunity but it will require a complete restoration and a lot of parts scrounging....is it worth it in the end based on it being a 58 NY?
View attachment 112483 View attachment 112484 View attachment 112485 View attachment 112486 View attachment 112487

In a word, no.

4 doors are a huge drop in value and this one, if described properly, has the wrong engine (354s were 1956 only, so the engine has been replaced (it should be a 392) and who knows about the transmission?) In other words, this 58 New Yorker has been messed with, so I wouldn't touch it. Previous body work has been done, with bondo evident so that is probably just the start of the problems that will be uncovered. You would never get your money out because virtually no one wants one in the first place. 2 door hardtops, convertibles and some station wagons may be worthwhile, but they have to be well preserved to start with and untouched originals, like the example that started this thread. One would be much better off buying something already nice if they want a 4 door and they will probably not have to pay much even for a pretty nice one. And this is the less desirable 4 door sedan, not a 4 door hardtop too. Run

in the best case: Buy the 4dr sedan and drive it "as is". Don't throw money in it it is burned immidiatly.

So if you are a great mechanic with too much spare time: Buy a ratty daily Forwardlooker, don't touch the rust and bondo, drive it as long as you can and then get rid off it as a parts car when its falling apart

Or just buy it to appease management that you got her a fin car, but should really wait until you've made more progress on the existing fleet.

I do find it hard to believe you couldn't get your 2k back with an operating car. I would think the functional drive line is worth most of that. I have recovered seats before with a pretty blanket and a stapler... but I doubt that one would ever be worth trying to make right.

2 door hint hint......you;ll always wish you had gotten a 2 door....paitience.....

View attachment 112483 View attachment 112484 View attachment 112485 View attachment 112486 View attachment 112487

Aren't those 57 tail lights?

Aren't those 57 tail lights?

Ya that got me thinking as well...they are broken either way....moving on as Critter says 2DR ....he didn't say what 2DR lol was offered this for similar money.,.
IMG_6383.PNG

Really. In judging, by the MCA for Mustangs, that car would get the full 700 points as that is their Concours class which is exact from factory.

What you are describing to me is not a #1 car but a show car that you look at much like a Monet or van Gogh.

I've been involved with "MCA" judging standards and trust me, they see things through rose colored glasses. My boss, (back in the 90's), bought a 65 "K" code 2+2 restored to MCA standards. The car was assembled using all NOS parts, but not a hint of lube on anything. The pedals hardly worked, everything creaked/squeaked, It was a shiny POS that couldn't even BE driven.
I was around when the first Mustangs were new and they couldn't keep up with production. Quality control took a hit on an already low standard. Bring one of those cars from a time capsule to a MCA judging meet and you might get an honorable mention.

A #1 car is considered a show car, to be viewed only. Once driven it becomes a used car, just like a new one, and is a #2 car.

The pedals hardly worked, everything creaked/squeaked, It was a shiny POS that couldn't even BE driven.

My point exactly, a show car, or for a Mustang the Thorough Bred Class.

I was around when the first Mustangs were new and they couldn't keep up with production. Quality control took a hit on an already low standard. Bring one of those cars from a time capsule to a MCA judging meet and you might get an honorable mention.

From what I know there are a few less than 100 mile Mustangs that are used as a reference for Concours judging. As concours class says "as delivered from the factory" which means warts and all to me. Once you perfect the car it becomes a show car in my book.

I suspect the B and E body fanatics could have many types of number ones, depending on the intent of the restoration: Body-in-White race cars; from the factory before dealer prep (with uninstalled items in the trunk), etc. I think they even reproduce the clear plastic seat covers that were occasionally left on new cars. More inclusive car shows should have a special category for "Unrestored/Survivor" vehicles.

Money pit 4 dr sedan. Bad combo.

while we are talking 58 Chrysler New Yorkers.
here is a totally restored vert from sweden

2825.JPG
2823.JPG
2845.JPG

From what I know there are a few less than 100 mile Mustangs that are used as a reference for Concours judging. As concours class says "as delivered from the factory" which means warts and all to me. Once you perfect the car it becomes a show car in my book.

My book = Opinion. Same thing

A number 1 car in common reference is a show car built to perfection with "correct " parts and markings. Not that the factory built them perfectly.

The car is called Air force blue (code C ) and ermine white roof (code X ) and the trim is Code 33 which is the Silvery Blue and Blue cloth . The seat covers on it are not original trim . If you look you can see they are covers over the original trim . The door panels have the correct cloth and silvery blue type vinyl . I have the paint and trim selector book for 58 Chrysler

I knew you were looking at that, hard not to. Would be nicer if it were a hardtop though. If those were available in those years? Fuselage New Yorkers couldn't be had in sedan trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back