VIN Numbers

All pre-1968 were on the door post, between the hinges. From the 1968MY on, it is on the driver side dash, against the windshield...another Federal requirement.

So if he got a car and used all the numbered parts on his own how is that a rebody? Your simply using those parts, and panels and they happen to include the numbers you need.

The original poster needs to look at this car and verify that the tag is/isn't on the door post between the hinges where it should be on a 67 and not just painted over.

Alan

Not the isue here but if he gets a vin number just say you bought the car from NY. I think anything prior late 70s NY lost all records and titles in a fire or something like that. I bought a car from florida (67 coronet) with a bad title and I registered it in NY and they allowed it to be registered with a pencil copy (rubbing the pencil over the vin raised numbers) then when I moved the car to MD they actully issued me a title as they contacted NY to see there was no title on those years cars. I had the same issue on my 68 300 here in TX. I had to get them to understand the car didnt have a title, after a few minutes the woman here in tx made me a title. But atleast I had a vin number.

Yeah it could be painted over. It's about center in the door jamb opening on the hinge side if it's there. They were a brushed steel so it could be painted.

Something I've always wondered about, if you were able to get a title through the DMV or through a title service on an abandon car, what would happen if someone showed up with the original title in the future? Which is the legal title? I bought a car in the 1980's with no title and then acquired a title through a service in Alabama. The prospect of the original title showing up always haunted me.

Something I've always wondered about, if you were able to get a title through the DMV or through a title service on an abandon car, what would happen if someone showed up with the original title in the future? Which is the legal title? I bought a car in the 1980's with no title and then acquired a title through a service in Alabama. The prospect of the original title showing up always haunted me.

I would think the DMV would check current registration, or check the "hot" list before issueing a title. Or, for a fee, you can verify it yourself if you know the last state of registration.

Alabama does not issue titles on vehicles before 1972. But requires a bill of sale and it helps to have a copy of the past registration in the selling owners name.
I bought the Admiral from a seller in Conn, another no title state. I took the bill of sale, and sellers registration to the license bureau here in Alabama. They checked ownership and transferred ownership to me on the spot.
( I had to have the vehicle present for inspection and verification of the VIN). I even registered an original 1969 Bama tag to it.

I would think the DMV would check current registration, or check the "hot" list before issueing a title. Or, for a fee, you can verify it yourself if you know the last state of registration.

Alabama does not issue titles on vehicles before 1972. But requires a bill of sale and it helps to have a copy of the past registration in the selling owners name.
I bought the Admiral from a seller in Conn, another no title state. I took the bill of sale, and sellers registration to the license bureau here in Alabama. They checked ownership and transferred ownership to me on the spot.
( I had to have the vehicle present for inspection and verification of the VIN). I even registered an original 1969 Bama tag to it.

Without a VIN or plates what are they going to check?
We're not talking about a missing title, the car apears to be missing its VIN tag.

Alan

Here in Finland we need to always punch the VIN code to frame, they do not approve or even check the original VIN tag, which is not punched. And they will check it every year in the inspection even the car would have beeen imported 20 years ago.

Last autumn my friend had our B250 inspected and they could not find the VIN in the frame (behind right front wheel, just punched vertically...) and they rejected the car :)

Without a VIN or plates what are they going to check?
We're not talking about a missing title, the car apears to be missing its VIN tag.

Alan

If he were to locate a salvage car and transferred the tags, then they would need to be verified before transferring ownership. Likely the donor car could be had with a title or bill of sale. once the tags are transferred the donor car ceases to exist.

If he were to locate a salvage car and transferred the tags, then they would need to be verified before transferring ownership. Likely the donor car could be had with a title or bill of sale. once the tags are transferred the donor car ceases to exist.

Yes and illegal in 50 states.

Alan

If the fender tag from the Donor is used, the SON of the donor car will be on it, which won't match the numbers on the body.
And the problem as above, it is illegal in all 50 states.

Yes and illegal in 50 states.

Alan

I challenge anyone to find an official in the State of New Jersey of either the DMV or law enforcement to actually look past the registration and any visible VIN in confirming that the car is legal. I could probably take the VIN plate off of any 1967 through 1970 Chrysler product with four doors and put it on another Chrysler product of the same year with four doors and and they would never know or even care unless they were looking for a stolen car. IMO, the legality of "re-bodying" is really only an ethical question for the collector and show car community.

If the fender tag from the Donor is used, the SON of the donor car will be on it, which won't match the numbers on the body.
And the problem as above, it is illegal in all 50 states.

So is drinking and driving..... what's worse.
Are you sure there are numbers stamped into the body of a 67.... such as is the case with 68-later cars...? And it would take a savvy inspector to even know that on a car that is likely older then him.

The option is to part out or scrap a very nice car. As long as no miss-representation is intended, no harm is done.

You can NOT tag or title a car or truck that does not have a VIN, it's that plain and simple. And no car or truck was built without a vehicle number that was built by a vehicle manufacturer. Even a true homebuilt car requires a VIN to be assigned to it by the state in which the builder builds the car, before it can be legally driven on public roads.

In the case of the Chrysler convertible in question, it was found in the basement of a house, complete but minus the VIN tag and fender tag. This sounds pretty damn suspicious to me. Why was it there in the first place? From the cheesy '90s wheels, it's been off the road for what I'd guess to be 20 - 25 years. People have recovered stolen vehicles after 40 years. Believe me, if this ends up being a stolen vehicle, the owner it was stolen from (or his insurance company, if they paid out on it) will get immediate possession of it, no matter what the current "owner" has in it or how long he has had it. You don't just "swap numbers" from one vehicle to another, even it that "swapped part" has those numbers on it - that does NOT make that vehicle suddenly the titled vehicle that the numbers were acquired from.

And what value would a 2015 homebuilt Chrysler newport Conv have? Unless the guy keeps the car and never resells it. Honesty. What are his options? ?

His options are to get a state-assigned VIN and a title for it. Or, he can get the numbers off a wrecked '67 Chrysler convertible and attach those to the car, risking jail time and more for as long as that car exists. There is a reason that the VIN and fender tags just happen to be missing, and I do not think they are as innocent as the former owner somehow "forgetting" to reattach them, or misplacing them.

A car with a state-assigned VIN really does not lose the value you think it does. Years ago, I had a car that ended up requiring me to get a state-assigned VIN (a hot rod assembled from over a dozen vehicles). It was titled as a homebuilt car, versus a 1936 Chevy. No problems selling that car at all.

Back