VIN Numbers

bigred

Reaction score
Help needed, I saved a 1967 Newport Convertible from the crusher last week, it had been painted a couple years back and the VIN plates both door pillar and under hood plate were taken off the car and not reinstalled. My question is, is there another area on the car that has the VIN number on it. Thanks in advance.

He said the under hood plate was removed.... Not sure when they started stamping the body. On a 70 they are on top of the cowl and under the weatherstrip at the trunk lid, but 1967....:eusa_think:

There should be a partial VIN stamped on the radiator support, on the driver's side. I believe there is one on my '66 Coronet in that spot, IIRC, so I'd figure your '67 would be in that same area. I've looked through both my '66 and '67 FSMs and can't find that info in those.

There should be a partial VIN stamped on the radiator support, on the driver's side. I believe there is one on my '66 Coronet in that spot, IIRC, so I'd figure your '67 would be in that same area. I've looked through both my '66 and '67 FSMs and can't find that info in those.

Wrong, that is the SO number and not related to the VIN

up to 67 - Assembly Plant/Date Code/Shipping Order (SO)
68 - Assembly Plant/Year/Car Line/SO Number
69 - Assembly Plant/Year/Last 6 of VIN

It takes the Broadcast sheet to tie a VIN to a shell in 67

Alan

w/o checking my memory (possibly wrong) it's not the VIN number on the rad support prior to 69 .. it's the shipping order number which was also on the fender tag (in this case gone).

The SO number may also be on the body behind the rear bumper on a 67 B body .. no idea on a C body

Not necessarily. You can take the car to whomever is your State titling authority and they can assign you a State-issued vehicle ID number. It will look absolutely NOTHING like an original Chrysler VIN, but it will be a perfectly LEGALLY assigned VIN for your car. Assuming by Marietta, you are in Georgia. You will likely have a title issued to it along with the state-assigned VIN, even though a car that old in GA is not required to have a title. It will likely be called a 2014 homebuilt, or something along those lines.

Check your PM...

Last edited:
Ok thanks for all the replies now does anyone have a response of what my next move should be, I hate to part this thing out its a pretty nice car

DSCN2019.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2021.jpg

Right no title or VIN number it was painted about 6 years ago and the number plates were taken off and not reinstalled

Don't part the damn thing! Read your PM and get a hold of the Georgia Motor Vehicle Division. Tell them how you got the car and ask how you can get the car registered an legal for the road.

patrick66 I will call them tomorrow to see what my options are, I have heard of this before, there is an inspection process and I have heard the state can be very picky and expensive, its kind of like getting a salvage car retitled

needs a little floor work and rear drivers quarter but its not to bad def too god to waste

Patrick appears to be offering some help that may help you get it back on the road. I'd follow that approach and see where it leads. My .02.

Hi nice Port,thanks for saving it...anyway of finding out who painted it or the previous owner.The plates could be laying in a draw somewhere, I would also look for a build sheet or the certicard those would have the vin # on it.Oh and welcome to the forum from the Island of Long.....John

Back