Well I'm bored...(speakers)

66SportFury

Reaction score
With a big family I have and rarely have any extra for my car. I can't afford to get the drivers rear quarter and truck painted right now. I figured I would put in a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck along with a 10" sub. I have a nice head unit (Pioneer) and a 700 watt Pioneer power amp. My question is,...is PLYE a pretty good brand for subs? They seem to be inexpensive. I'm not looking for an all out system. Just something that sounds pretty good for cruising. I was thinking of going with this inexpensive setup. I already have a 10" sub box.

sub.jpg

pioneer.jpg

Why not dip the car for now, until funds are ready for paint??

I wouldnt waste the $$ on those. If anything invest in a quality pair of 6x9s for the rear deck. I had a set of infinity speakers installed in mine years ago, and was very impressed at the sound quality. The massive trunks allow for a nice deep base with the 6x9s. I actually robbed them from the car, and installed them in my DD ram.

I was thinking about dipping, but don't like the look. Getting back to the speakers, it's funny you mentioned Infinity. I have a 96 Sebring and the under the seat amp stopped working,so the front 6x9's don't work and it's an Infinity system in the Sebring. I removed the front 6x9's from the front doors, but figure they wouldn't sound to good since they are full range speakers. Here's a picture of them. Maybe I'll install them to see how they sound. I might not even need a sub, but it might add better bottom end??

image.jpg

image.jpg

Honestly no they aren't. Also speakers are like engines. Have to be tuned. In the wrong box subs will sound bad. I had memphis audio which is a good value but in a correct box for a 10" and sounded mich more expensive then it was. Just like anything you get what you pay for. Pyle iw like bose now. Went cheap and lost their edge. And the infinity speaker are only one way. But who am I to judge I just run the 2 speakers in my 300 with a fm tuner on the factory am radio. My 440 is the music :)

Well, I went out to the Sebring and removed the rear 6x9's and come to find out they are 2 way. So, I took the fronts and put them in the back and the rears that came out will be going in the Fury. My Sebring is my run around car and it sounds pretty good with just the one ways in it.

image.jpg

The infinity systems in the chrysler vehicles were the premium sound system. They need an amp to power them, to sound good. I had a nightmare with my old '95 dakota infinity system. Each speaker had its own mini amp built into the speaker. I wanted to upgrade, but after installing the new speakers, it sounded like GARBAGE. I tried a couple other set ups, but it never worked right. So back in went the infinitys. I love infinity speakers, they are all I use, but something weird about them from the factory. But hell, maybe they'll work just fine.. Idk.

No pyle isn't any good you are better off waiting until you can buy something better than getting there stuff. If you are looking for good quality at an affordable price ether Pioneer, or kenwood they both make good subs. I use pioneer.

Thanks guys. I'll install the Infinity Coaxial's and see how they sound. Anything is better than nothing.

I was thinking about dipping, but don't like the look.
Since Ross (Stormer) started to get me all abuzz about this dipping thingie, I have started to take a serious look at all the dipped old Nissans and Hondas at the Walmart parking lot.
Damn if they don't all look like chit now !

I hear ya Stan! I'm not liking it either.

Since the subject is speakers. Does anyone know what the proper size box would be for a 10" Sub? Anyone build any here or doesn't it matter on the size and shape?

I'm not a fan of Pioneer speakers. I'd go BostonAccoustics for the money.

Regarding dip, its definitely not for everyone. It's also not intended to be permanent. That's half the fun that you can mess around and change colors for a few hundred bucks.

HOW much?..... :poke:
Well, there's no doubt that it can be an expensive learning curve until you figure it out. Dipping a C Body uses about as much product as two pickup trucks.

One other her thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the dip you see was done by some dipshit (like me) in his driveway with spray cans. It would be like saying that paint looks terrible on cars based on some dude's rattle can job.

Usually the speaker has it on the packaging what cubic box is best. I usually go to my local car audio store and pick up a pre fab'd box. One that's quality made. I prefer a sealed enclosure, to a vented. The sealed hits harder.

I hear ya Stan! I'm not liking it either.

Since the subject is speakers. Does anyone know what the proper size box would be for a 10" Sub? Anyone build any here or doesn't it matter on the size and shape?

This one calls for a small enclosure.

• Size: 10"
  • Max. Music Power (Nominal): 1,200 W (300 W)
  • Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 125 Hz
  • Sensitivity (1 W/1 m): 91 dB
  • Impedance: Single 4 Ohm
  • Mounting Depth: 3-1/8"
  • Cut-Out Dimensions: 9-1/8"
  • 300 Watts Nominal Power
  • Unique Design with just 3" Mounting Depth
  • Small Enclosure Use (0.35 ~ 0.75 Cubic Feet)
  • 1 Year Autosoundswarehouse Warranty
pioneer sub small.jpg

pioneer sub small.jpg

• This one needs a larger enclosure. pioneer sub large.jpg
  • 10" SIngle 4-Ohm Champion Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 1,200 watts
    • RMS: 350 watts
  • Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Composite Seamless Cone
  • Dual-Layer Elastic Polymer Surround
  • 4-Layer Copper voice coil with aluminum former
  • Frequency response: 20-250 Hz
  • Resonance Frequency (Fs): 45 Hz
  • Top-mount depth: 5-1/2"
  • Sensitivity: 93dB
  • 1-year Sonic Electronix Warranty

pioneer sub large.jpg

• This one needs a larger enclosure. View attachment 36821
  • 10" SIngle 4-Ohm Champion Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 1,200 watts
    • RMS: 350 watts
  • Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Composite Seamless Cone
  • Dual-Layer Elastic Polymer Surround
  • 4-Layer Copper voice coil with aluminum former
  • Frequency response: 20-250 Hz
  • Resonance Frequency (Fs): 45 Hz
  • Top-mount depth: 5-1/2"
  • Sensitivity: 93dB
  • 1-year Sonic Electronix Warranty
Thanks for posting this. I'm was going to look at this today at Walmart,..10" SIngle 4-Ohm Champion Series Subwoofer. I found an issue though,.when the car is running there's an alternator whine coming through the speakers. Maybe a bad ground or I need a filter.

You need a box that is the right amout of air for the speaker. Also the whine could be your spark plug wires or coming from the ignition sysyem. Make sure your wires are radio supperssor or something liketthat. Mine whinned even thru the fm modulator until I went with the msd distribitor and 8.5mm wires.

Also make sure if you are running an amp make sure the amp power isn't near the rcas or could get an alt whine. And of coarse if running a amp it should be no less then 8 guage (actully higher, 10, 12, or start a fire with 16). I fixed a guys car after slight wire fire cuz used telephone cord to run a amp!!!! Lol. Just run 8 guage unless running mutiple amps in which run 4 to a dist block and 8 to the amps.

Back