What do you do for a living?

Severely over-educated truck driver and former owner of a bankrupt hardware store.
I can only tell you what not to do....

Don't be so hard on yourself. Getting back up and trying again is what's important. There was a time when all I could think of was being a truck driver. I collected brochures on everything from Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, CCC, White, etc. I'd still love a corvette dash flat top 359 with a 12V92 13 speed, lol.

Retired U.S Army 1976-1996.

Military Contractor at the Army Test Center, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.

Surv_Leth_IED.jpg
So Bob, what's going on in the pic? Looks like utter violence and destruction.

Severely over-educated truck driver and former owner of a bankrupt hardware store.
I can only tell you what not to do....
Curious if big box stores killed it. I try my best to get everything at the locally owned hardware store. I deal with the owner and not some 16 year old when I have questions.

Me, I take ah lot ah naps lately and love 'um! OH, And 72 FURY, Thumbs up on the 12V92 But I'd be willing to race yeah with ah 4 1/4 Cat with ah 2 stick 16 spd! You know I think theirs one oh them swingin' meat hauler outfits down in Texas that still owns a Diamond-T W/ 12V92 That's been told if it's ever even seen on I-10 again it will be confiscated, impounded, and destroyed. Last time I heard of that little Jewel out running the blvd. the Texas Hi-Way Patrol nailed it somewhere headed west just inside the state line and they were forced to ship it back to San Antonio by rail! Where's that roll on the ground holdin' your side's laughin' Icon, Jer

I'm sure the Cat would beat it, especially if it was turned up a bit. The Cat certainly wouldn't spit oil everywhere as well. I just like the sound of a big old V12!

Curious if big box stores killed it. I try my best to get everything at the locally owned hardware store. I deal with the owner and not some 16 year old when I have questions.

I was doing well. Very well. Got a lot of kudos for dragging an old tired store into a community asset again.
Then the first big box opened. Business dropped 50%.
They had mystery shoppers come into my store and check my prices. If I charged a penny, they'd show it free in their next circular. Ruthless. Their plan was to destroy me from day one. They did. Two years later HD put THEM out of business. A lot of bloodshed caused by big cotporate in the early 90's.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I'm a E911 Dispatcher for 25 years for a Sheriff's Department. Was Law Enforcement Certified in Wisconsin after Associate Degree in Police Science. The average Dispatcher works only four years before the stress, work hours etc. get to them. I can see the light at the end of the road (6 years) if nothing happens to my health.

A lot of bloodshed caused by big cotporate in the early 90's.
Its still going on, just intensified! A big race to the bottom for americans. Pay cuts, pay freezes, no benefits, yet corporate is getting million dollar raises and huge benefit packages.

I'd last a year before I snapped. You must be pretty much numb by now.

< Sent from my tablet >

Well the days are getting longer as I get older. You have to remind yourself that everything you say or do is scrutinized by the public,press and management. If that is not enought I'm a local elected Official (City Alderman).

First worked as a deisel mechanic for a local flatbed operation with about 130 trucks, doing everything from complete out of frame overhauls to stretching frames to add axles, doing their fiberglass and painting repairs and installing the vast majority of their Qualcomms (GPS systems).

In '92 I started at an auto body shop and excluding 6 years of farming after my Dad passed away in the late '90s, I have stayed at the same shop doing everything from windshield replacement to complete restorations. The shop is also combined with a sandblasting business, so we do a wide variety of strange projects that most body shops would never consider.

Training as a mechanic, however I mostly did body work some resto and mostly collision at a Mercedes-Benz dealership. Had the intention for body engineering but my talents just didn't lie in this field, really bad dimensional thinkig etc., saw this already during university-entrace diploma.

After the early death of my father I somehow made up my mind to get into a safe not so badly paid job and became a civil servant for the community currently dealing with single parents securing child support; so it's in the social welfare field. I have to say I don't like the decision very much any more but it also leaves some good time for my car hobby which I otherwise wouldn't have.

Last edited:

Ditto with me. Freakin Home Depots and Lowes everywhere.

I was doing well. Very well. Got a lot of kudos for dragging an old tired store into a community asset again.
Then the first big box opened. Business dropped 50%.
They had mystery shoppers come into my store and check my prices. If I charged a penny, they'd show it free in their next circular. Ruthless. Their plan was to destroy me from day one. They did. Two years later HD put THEM out of business. A lot of bloodshed caused by big cotporate in the early 90's.

(Sent using Forum Runner)
Fn Bastards.

Back