What do you do for a living?

Survivability / Lethality Test...typical roadside IED's in Afghanistan.

thanks brother!

Surv_Leth_IED.jpg

My job is managing the medical equipment and program that that fields, maintains, and recycles the equipment used to save servicemen injured in that and other carnage. Otherwise know as Patient Movement Item Program that supports the USAF and DoD worldwide Air Evacuation system.

Last edited:
thanks brother!

Surv_Leth_IED.jpg

My job is managing the medical equipment and program that that fields, maintains, and recycles the equipment used to save servicemen injured in that and other carnage. Otherwise know as Patient Movement Item Program that supports the USAF and DoD worldwide Air Evacuation system.

That's outstanding!

:sFl_america2:

Sure, Hechinger, Rickels, Channel, all the bigger do it yourself stores. BUT who put them out of business, Depot or us, the consumer?

The NEW consumer. You know who they are. The immigrants with the lowest standards of what's acceptable. The old consumer has dissapeared.

< Sent from my tablet >

I have a small, local hardware store around the corner from me. I give them the first crack at my business and only hit Home Depot in the event they don't have what I'm looking for. The service is better and they actually know what they are talking about. Ever try to get helpful information out of someone that works at a Home Depot? The usual answer is, "This is not my department."

At Home Depot I have to assist the employees....
I've taught them how to cut keys, cut window shades to length, thread pipe (when they used to), explain to them what a mortising jig was, and how to tint paint.
MANY, times how to tint paint. Too many times...
Even at the Contractor's counter at Sherwin-Williams, I have to tell them what base to use and how to adjust the formula.

Last edited:
I own a Classic Car restoration business. For the most part I just do the paint & body end of it. I've been in the trade for going on 41 years. I started out working in a body shop in my hometown in NY in 1972. When I moved to Arizona in 1980 I wound up in the fleet repair business. First semi trailer wreck repair and paint then I went to a grocery wholsaler repairing trucks and trailers. After that I spent 21 years fixing wrecked transit busses but when a new company came in they wanted to get rid of us high senority, high pay 5 week vacation guys. The Union negotiated a pretty atractive severance package so since I had been doing restoration work in my shop at home for years I took the money and ran. Best move I've ever made too!

I work for an oil company in the big sand box known as the Athabasca Oil Sands near Fort McMurray, Alberta. Been an Instrumentation Mechanic for the last 35 yrs in all types of industries including oil and gas, petrochemical, pulp and paper, municipal water and wastewater, and manufacturing, now sit in an office 4 days a week watching a bunch of other guys do what I used to do. I commute 400 miles to work every Monday morning in a company chartered Boeing 737 and then home again on Thursday afternoon. Its a pretty decent gig though the travel gets old after a while. My wife and I also run a custom saddle shop that we have owned for the last 18 years catering to the horse industry.

'13 Cascadia? How do you like it?

Well the truck is nice. Little tight on the leg room for my 6'8" frame....but I have found all freight grinders to be that way. The motor is a DD15...nice quiet motor with a lot of power...but the kicker for this truck is they spec'd it with a friggin 6 speed Allison transmission!!:angryfire:

I politely informed them that new cars, and trucks, are going to 8 speed transmissions because there is fuel savings to be had by more gears. SO I then asked why were are going the opposite direction? Hey I'm just a dumb truck driver, what do I know.:dontknow:

Hey I'm just a dumb truck driver, what do I know.:dontknow:
My favorite saying.
I absolutely refused to be assigned to any new tractor that came in with a slushbox. HATED them.
My old comrades still there tell me the entire fleet is changing over from Internationals to Cascadias with automatics.
The kids love them (of course...). The older drivers hate them.

2qdd0ed.jpg

I think Mercedes is giving away Freightliners to crush International's market share. And they have done it. International is teetering on the financial crises fence, now.

But....what do we know.

Last edited:
Back