What/How Would You Value a C-Body ?

greasemonkeyman

Reaction score
Here's a topic a lot of people have questional opinions about......How much is my car worth? Now there are some of you that will go "by the book" and I find that somewhat questionable,because prices fluctuate not only by condition and options,but by where your located.Different parts of the country dictate what a vehicle is worth too.Then there's also the question of whether I should sell it like it is or fix it up and will I get more money for it.I'd say that if your gonna fix it up and then try to sell it for a profit,this can be done,provided you invest your own time and labor into getting the car cleaned up,restored,repaired,or whatever condition that's needed for it to become presentable for sale.If your gonna bring your car down to the local mechanic to have simple little things such as change a spark plug or replace a trunk weatherseal,then your paying money for unnecessary labor,and that will bring down whatever profits your planning on making.Also,take into consideration that asking price and selling price don't always equal up. I've seen it so many times(especially at car shows),when you talk to the owner of a car and they are totally unaware of how to do anything on their car except put gas in the tank and wash it.The idea of getting into the "Old Car" hobby,is to learn about your vehicle and enjoy it too.So,what do you think some C-Bodies are actually worth?

The words C-Body and profit just don't mix.

If you're in the C-Body world to make a profit.....you'll be broke quick.

Everyone here is usually $$$ upside down on day one of ownership of a C-Body....much less doing any maintenance or repairs.

All of us here on FCBO are in the C-Body world because of the love for the C-Bodies. I don't think anybody is here to make a profit.....except for the lurkers/flippers or the people that strip the C-Body powertrain's for the A's, B's, & E's.

Well said. I totally agree...there's little profit to be made in the c body world. I drive one because I love driving it and don't care what it might or might not be worth, not one iota.

In monetary terms we all know that extremely nice, turn-key C bodies, regardless if slab, fusey or formal, can be had for @ $5000 or less (with coupes being on the higher end- more likely to fetch higher money). Convertibles and wagons are the only C bodies that can be had for @ $10 k or higher (for really fine examples). Of course aberrations to this trend occur for the "right" buyer or specialty cars.

As mentioned these cars are about the love and about the last remaining "cheap" way to get into the hobby- A,B, E and forward look cars are stupid-expensive now-a-days.

Yup, I'm not ever going to sell any of my cars so I could care less what they are worth now or in the future.

What keeps these cars from getting "stupid expensive" is the fact that a very small minority (when compared to the other groups) desire them. Don't know if it'll stay that way in the future though.

Yea, indeed...neglected to realize that. They are on safari here paying big dollars to find something worthy of hauling back to the old world.

Its unbelievable how they are flying off the shelves and heading east. You can see what left here, when a good one shows you find yourself in a bidding war with five other people, four of which arent in North America.

when a good one shows you find yourself in a bidding war with five other people, four of which arent in North America.
The C-body guys hold out.
The "car" guys sell out.
I don't look at my cars and think about how much they are worth.
I always kept my eye on the Corvette market when I had them.
Thank gawd I bailed.

Yup, I'm not ever going to sell any of my cars so I could care less what they are worth now or in the future.

One thing life has taught me Bob is ..... NEVER say NEVER. lol.

C bodys are not a investment quality car. The value in them, ((IMHO), is the pleasure they bring to us. Jazebelle brings a much higher level of, (pleasure), value to us then my brothers 68 Hemi Charger brings to him. We added 10K miles to Jazebelles odometer last year..... My brothers Charger ........ Maybe 10-15 miles.

I'll never realize a monitary return on my money invested in the 300 ....... But I will continue to invest and upgrade her. The return is the many hours of enjoyment out on the road.

That being said, i's still comforting to know that your investment is somewhat safe if the time comes to sell a C body. I kind of think that if I could get somewhere close to 75/80% of the cash investment in my car then thats an acceptable return.

What keeps these cars from getting "stupid expensive" is the fact that a very small minority (when compared to the other groups) desire them.

This is where the A, B and E bodies were in the late 70's early 80's. In 1982 a buddy of mine picked up a 1970 Cuda 440 6 all original with 40k on the OD for less than $1200. Same year I got my 1970 R/T Challenger vert with factory air for $2000. Nobody wanted those cars back then. Everyone wanted an SS Fire-chicken or such nonsense to be like Reynolds. Now they all want to be like Kowalskie, Jake and Ellwood.

I think time will tell and the value can only go up from here, so get while the getting's good and cheap.

I never did either Stan.....you know that already. You have also seen whats been happening

I never did either Stan.....you know that already. You have also seen whats been happening
The holdouts join FCBO and stay active.
We're circling the wagons and it will all be for nought eventually.
How active is the Hupmobile Forum?

That being said, i's still comforting to know that your investment is somewhat safe if the time comes to sell a C body. I kind of think that if I could get somewhere close to 75/80% of the cash investment in my car then thats an acceptable return.

Yep. I'm not in this for the money, but I don't want to be too upside down in case something happens and I want to get rid of my car. I like it. I really like it. But it's a car, and I try to make sure that I own it, not the other way around.

I always kept my eye on the Corvette market when I had them.
Thank gawd I bailed.

Interesting. When you owned a Vette, did you really love the car? I have two modern era cars in my stable, the 2003 I find myself looking at its value quite often. I like the car, but it doesn't really "do it" for me. My 2014 is my favorite car ever and values rarely cross my mind on that car.

And obviously I don't care about the value of my 65 polara.......that ceiling was busted long ago.

In reference to "future value" of not only C bodys, but all collector cars.

No one seems to be taking into concideration regulation. The signs of the times show a huge new set of restrictions on the use of our collector cars. I suspect that due to the greenhouse effect on the earth there will be some dramatic new rules towards the use of fossel fuels headed our way. It just can't be ignored anymore.

It's only a matter of time before the gasoline we need to operate these old V8's will not be avaliable, or will cost way to much.

The collector car buyer is dramaticly changing also. The folks who grew up with the 60's -70's vehicles are becoming less and less and I'm not seeing a big surge in collectable 80's & 90's cars. The car culture took a downhill slide during that period. Few 30 plus year olds really relate to 60's -70's vehicles beyond hearing the storys and legends.

I really don't see a big increase in future collector vehicle values. Except for museum quality vehicles, which will be the only use for old cars in 20-30 years.

Get your dream car soon and drive the wheels off it ....... The writings on the wall.

Back