What/How Would You Value a C-Body ?

Interesting. When you owned a Vette, did you really love the car?
I tried to.
Thought I was at the time.
For about 3 months....

I was just a little man-child. Gawd shoot me!

My 2014 is my favorite car ever and values rarely cross my mind on that car
Put that quote in your bookmarks and click on it next year.

You just paid for the privilage of being the current caretaker of a piece of history.
My charitable contribution.
More satisfying than buying Girl Scout Cookies or Fund Raiser candy bars.

I tried to.
Thought I was at the time.
For about 3 months....

I was just a little man-child. Gawd shoot me!

Put that quote in your bookmarks and click on it next year.

My charitable contribution.
More satisfying than buying Girl Scout Cookies or Fund Raiser candy bars.

I know we are getting off topic, but that's pretty normal around here. I just like picking others brains about their cars. So did you basically buy the Vette on a whim? I have always loved every year of the GT500 and when the new engine was released in 2013, I was really hooked and at a place financially that I could finally do it. There isn't one thing I dislike about the car. I guess things could change, like you say, but for now my knees still go weak every time I open the garage door. I have that same passion for my 65 Polara even though it's not in my possession. I find myself thinking about that car daily. The 2003 Cobra and the A body Mopar are more.....meh.....to me. I enjoy them, but if I had to lose a couple cars to a shop fire I know which ones I hope are sitting outside that day. For what it's worth, I have nothing against any make or model car. If someone likes Vettes so be it.....even if I don't understand the fascination. My best friends are all Chevy guys.

I know we are getting off topic, but that's pretty normal around here. I just like picking others brains about their cars. So did you basically buy the Vette on a whim?
Try and stay with me on this. It's complicated.
I bought it using the excuse that I wanted one all my life.
Looking back, it was on a whim.
I was at an all-time low on what I thought would do it.
Not once. Twice.
It came and went.......

Try and stay with me on this. It's complicated.
I bought it using the excuse that I wanted one all my life.
Looking back, it was on a whim.
I was at an all-time low on what I thought would do it.
Not once. Twice.
It came and went.......

Well, at least you found the proper cars to fill that void now.

I know exactly how much mine is worth. If someone wants to walk up and go home with it it will take $35,000 as it sits. There is a price for everything. Just a matter of if someone wants to pay it or not! LOL.

I know exactly how much mine is worth. If someone wants to walk up and go home with it it will take $35,000 as it sits. There is a price for everything. Just a matter of if someone wants to pay it or not! LOL.
How much you have invested and how much it's worth are to completely different things.
I have see C bodys with 35K invested ....... but have never seen a 35K C body yet.

Last July, at Carlisle there was a fellow who was lusting after Jazebelle. When he asked if she was for sale I said .... NO.
He came back at least twice, every day and asked again ..... How much ...? I finally told him 35K and never saw him again.

How much you have invested and how much it's worth are to completely different things.
I have see C bodys with 35K invested ....... but have never seen a 35K C body yet.

Last July, at Carlisle there was a fellow who was lusting after Jazebelle. When he asked if she was for sale I said .... NO.
He came back at least twice, every day and asked again ..... How much ...? I finally told him 35K and never saw him again.

I have a total of about $3,500 in it right now. But if someone wanted to buy it that is the price and it will keep going up as I put more in it. Kinda the same logic as what you did. Make it more than anyone will pay and they will walk away and you don't have to worry with them coming back asking again.

My cars have way more value to me than what their market value is. I have what I have because i lust after those cars most of all. In my opinion, they are the nicest originals that exist. Deep pockets would have to be prepared to dig deep in both pockets and even then, my passion would kick in and i would decline

Worth every penny too!

How about this as a perspective, all of us have the perfect build for their car in their head, you can spend years and bucket loads of money and never achieve it. But one day a car almost exactly like you want pops up, wouldn't you be willing to buy it for every nickel you could afford? I would expect most of us would.

I am looking for that guy with the money that "needs" to own my car until then I will continue to upgrade, change and drive it as often as I can.

Buying a car built will always cost less than building it your self, just most are only able to throw a few hundred $$$ at a time and not drop 15 plus G's at once. And Dare I say if money wasn't an object, Many of us would be owning the more popular models. Don't lie and say it aint true

All I know is I will get every penny back on my investment with no problem, that is if I ever sell it.

Alan

How about this as a perspective, all of us have the perfect build for their car in their head, you can spend years and bucket loads of money and never achieve it. But one day a car almost exactly like you want pops up, wouldn't you be willing to buy it for every nickel you could afford? I would expect most of us would.

I am looking for that guy with the money that "needs" to own my car until then I will continue to upgrade, change and drive it as often as I can.

Buying a car built will always cost less than building it your self, just most are only able to throw a few hundred $$$ at a time and not drop 15 plus G's at once. And Dare I say if money wasn't an object, Many of us would be owning the more popular models. Don't lie and say it aint true

I agree with a lot of that, but the last part isn't so true for myself. For what I have put into my polara so far, I could have a nice B body. Something about cookie cutters and such.....

Here's what I don't get.....So your out there looking for something a little different and come across a C-Body because you like the styling.Then you purchase the car for around $3K. You get the idea that your gonna restore it or hot rod it or whatever it takes to bring it back to it's glory again. So,assuming your going to perform most of the work on the car yourself,like mechanicals,paint,interior,suspension,etc.,then how do you get in over your head? What is a excellent condition C-Body in a coupe or convertible worth? Sorry guys,I have nothing against 4 doors but the market has rarely been kind to four doors of any make/model. If your painting the car yourself or at least prepping it for paint,then how much is a nice paint job going to run you? $3K ? As for engine,if your tearing it down and sending it out to get rebuilt a few more grand,and a couple more grand on an interior.Most things can be done by your average home mechanic,it's just that some would rather pay for it to be done,which is where people get in over their head.I think that if you start off with a good solid car,then chances are your costs can be cut considerably.Maybe finding one isn't that easy,but isn't that why they're commanding the higher prices.If I decide to send my car out for every repair it needed,then of course I'd be in over my head.Most people got involved in old cars as a hobby because they are interested in them,so why not take the time and do most of the work yourself? Granted there are some things that we may not be capable of doing at home,like rechroming a bumper,but for the most part,almost everything else can be done at home and it surely will keep you from getting in over your head

When you stop scouring Craigslist nationally, eBay, kijiji, and Old Car Trader, you've got what you want.
Vodka hasn't posted a For Sale ad in a long time. No more Imperials for sale being tracked 4X a day.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
And Dare I say if money wasn't an object, Many of us would be owning the more popular models. Don't lie and say it aint true

Honestly, if money were no object I'd probably be driving a McLaren. If money were still the object and I had a few buckets to throw around, I'd probably own a few SRT Magnums. And if I only had one bucket full,well It'd prolly be a Henry J, I always wanted one of those.

I'm in to the C because it's the wifes car and it isn't going anywhere so I may as well do it the way I want it if I'm going to have to keep it and drive it.

As for value, they'll never go up. Don't mistake what I 'm saying here, the price will in fact go up. Value, that's another story it's partially related to price.

When you stop scouring Craigslist nationally, eBay, kijiji, and Old Car Trader, you've got what you want.
Vodka hasn't posted a For Sale ad in a long time. No more Imperials for sale being tracked 4X a day.

Less exposure, less desire, less money. It's been said before, we are our own worst enemy when it comes to finding and buying what we like for the price we are willing to pay. If we talk it up some lurker thinks it's an easy flip, then raises the price and we all ***** about it. Rinse and repeat...

What is it that we want? High "value", desirable cars, or a cool, inexpensive (by comparison) hobby, with cars we couldn't get rid of if we wanted to? If I had the money, I would still be hard pressed to find the 72 Challenger Ralley that hasn't been molested ten times and re-paneled with Chinese metal. I value the originality that can still be found in the C bodies, and the skills I'm learning to do the work, and there will be no value I can place on the finished product, because as I drive it, I know I've touched every nut and bolt on it. You can't just buy that kind of value with 35k, you need to earn it.

Say, what's happened to Vodka, there hasn't been an update in 6 days....

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It was a joke referencing the incredible amount of mousechit.I personally would have Napalmed that car before touching it.

I am working on my convertible because I like the big barge. It is also the only thing I have of my fathers that was worth a damn, he passed in 97. No we weren't close, he wasn't close to any of his eleven children. I also get the feeling I am in a simpler time, back in the late sixties, if just for a little while. I am also not going to give up when I have spilled real blood while working on it. Value, smalue.

Back