What size speakers?

I believe 6x9 in the rear seat area and 4x10 in the dash pad. Be careful of putting too large of a speaker in the rear seat, too big a magnet and you have broken glass from your rear window shattering.

I believe 6x9 in the rear seat area and 4x10 in the dash pad. Be careful of putting too large of a speaker in the rear seat, too big a magnet and you have broken glass from your rear window shattering.

Thanks Dave, I certainly don't want a broken back window, I'll see what I can find at a reasonable price if not, it can wait, I have bigger fish to fry

Nick

There is an adapter plate to put two smaller speakers in the space of the 4x10. I have never used it though

I figure while I have the dash and backseat out I might as well replace the speakers, What size will fit in the stock locations?

Nick

FYI there is a guy over at FBBO that makes a mount so you can put two 3.5" or better modern speakers in the front location ... lot's of possibilities. Yes as others have said 6 x 9's in back.

FYI there is a guy over at FBBO that makes a mount so you can put two 3.5" or better modern speakers in the front location ... lot's of possibilities. Yes as others have said 6 x 9's in back.
I am wanting to go this route as well. So the one for a B body fits our C bodies as well?

I am wanting to go this route as well. So the one for a B body fits our C bodies as well?

He has 3 models and perhaps one would work and one may even have one specifically been for a C body .. I'm sorry i have CRS but I'll see if I can find the info for you and you can talk to him directly.

He has 3 models and perhaps one would work and one may even have one specifically been for a C body .. I'm sorry i have CRS but I'll see if I can find the info for you and you can talk to him directly.

Here is the link: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?15647-Dual-3-5-quot-dash-speaker-bracket

Super nice guy who will answer if you PM him. Unfortunately doesn't appear he has a specific C body but I'd bet one will fit if you measure you original speaker / mounting holes and send him dimensions he could tell you and who knows may have one for C bodies by now. Maybe have to drill new holes in the brackets? His name is Jerry handle is '74 Sport

These brackets are water-jetted from 0.080” sheet aluminum and require no further finishing. They fit in the same location and use the mounting screws from the original speaker. In the following photo the style on the left fits early A-bodies ('64-'66), the middle one fits later A-bodies ('67-'76) and early B-bodies ('64-'70), and the one on the right fits later B-bodies and all E-bodies ('71-'74).
5483514154_62b6afb570.jpg

5483514154_62b6afb570.jpg

Thanks, Tallhair! I am a member on that board so I went on there and searched around. His name is 74Sport, and I sent him a message. He doesn't list one for the C bodies, but we'll see what we can come up with. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

EDIT- It appears we posted at the sime time. Thanks again!

Thanks, Tallhair! I am a member on that board so I went on there and searched around. His name is 74Sport, and I sent him a message. He doesn't list one for the C bodies, but we'll see what we can come up with. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

EDIT- It appears we posted at the sime time. Thanks again!

Welcome brother .. good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Why would one want two teeny speakers instaed of one hi quality 3-way 6X9?

Audiophiles will tell you that the 6 x 9 will not sound as good as the small speakers.

I can't tell the difference and I think the bass is better in the 6 x 9.

I also have issues with the word "audiophile". It sounds like you should be registered with the authorities.

I'm going deaf so it's all a moot point to me. They could be tin cans on a taut string for all I care.

I also have issues with the word "audiophile". It sounds like you should be registered with the authorities.

Now thats funny.... :laughing4:.... Someone tells me they are an "audiophile" and I take a step back and feel like I need to protect something.

I checked my 69 parts book and it shows Cbody plymouth & dodge's use a dash speaker part #2820615, and Chrysler uses #2884303. Not sure what the difference is. A, B and Imperial showed different part numbers also.

I replaced the original rear speaker with an aftermarket 3 way 6 X 9 in the rear of my 300. Had to modify the brackets a little to keep the larger magnet out of harms way. It sure did make my OEM mono radio sound much better.

I also got a MP3 adapter to play my mp3 player through the cars original radio, acts just like a radio station. I love it.

Why would one want two teeny speakers instaed of one hi quality 3-way 6X9?
Like Polara71 said, it has to do with stereo separation. Although with them being just inches apart, I'm not sure how much of that "separation" you actually get, but at least the channels are split. I'm going to have 6x9's in back, and possibly a small sub enclosure in the trunk, so bass isn't going to be a problem anyway. Now my teeny 45A alternator keeping up with even a small amp, that's a problem!:skeptical:

You need the two little speakers, not so much for your ears but, because the left and right output channels of the deck have to be connected to something. With most decks, you can't connect both output channels to one speaker or you'll fry the output IC's in the deck.:)

Back