When (what year) did front sway bar link change from fixed to removable bushing?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This photo shows 2 links. One appears to be welded (spot welded?) so that it basically can't be taken apart to change the bushing. That was on my '67 Monaco.

The second link shows a bolt holding it together so the bushing can be changed out. Did this happen after '67? I'd like to narrow down what year these parts came from, the stub this came from.

Unless it's not a matter of which year, but maybe its a Dodge vs Chrysler thing?

339.jpg

The spot welds were drilled out to change bushings. Some of the Moog replacement kits came with a bolt together housing for the bushing retainer. To the best of my knowledge all of the C-Body platforms had spot welded retainers. Yours was serviced at some point which is why it has a bolt in it.

Dave

No - these are 2 sway bars from 2 different cars. The one with the bolt came from a stub that I know not from what car (Dodge or Chrysler) or what year it was. Unless you're saying they all were welded, even into the 1969-7x time frame? And the one with the bolt was aftermarket? (I was assuming it was original to the stub).

(Might there be an illustration in the various Chrysler parts books of the front sway bar to determine IF the bolt-together item is really a factory part?)

This photo shows 2 links. One appears to be welded (spot welded?) so that it basically can't be taken apart to change the bushing. That was on my '67 Monaco.

The second link shows a bolt holding it together so the bushing can be changed out. Did this happen after '67? I'd like to narrow down what year these parts came from, the stub this came from.

Unless it's not a matter of which year, but maybe its a Dodge vs Chrysler thing?

View attachment 667067
The top one is factree equipment.
Bottom one is a parts store replacement.
As mentioned, all factory ones were spot welded.

Can one buy one of these aftermarket links somewhere today?

That bar with the links with bolts also had a split-rubber bushing at the ends that bolt to the strut rod. My original bar (with the welded links) had a non-split end bushing.

And while I'm here - Is there supposed to be any tension / force on the bar as the car sits? Because I took my bar off and there was no force on it.

Last edited:
The production line sway bars were made wherein the original bushings were molded in place on the bar and then the hangers and then the two piece retainers on each side were welded to retain the bushings firmly and that set up was more durable than the replacement parts that Chrysler provided as a service package wherein the bushing was a two piece part (because it is not possible to install a single hole bushing over the original pretty thick sway bar and have it fit tightly to best control sway).

When the original bushing was pretty worn out then Chrysler provided a service package in which an original bushing was cut in half and the two holders for the sway bar in the center of the bar were also two piece such that the top piece was mated to the lower retainer with a bolt to hold everything back in place again. The replacement set up, however, was not as sturdy as the original set up and required maintenance more often, but it did the job reasonably well. Chrysler provided the replacement package as a factory part number. I still have a couple of those nos packages. That is because that methodology was initialized back in the early 60's and some of my forward look cars still need those replacement packages over time/miles.

This explanation is pretty much what @MoPar~Man is saying above but just said a little differently.

Last edited:
Mid 1972 Chrysler switched to the serviceable style.

3402949 - Bracket/Mount/Rod
3402897 - Retainer Strap
2269709 - Bushing (same as earlier)

Alan

The 1973 Chrysler parts book pictures the different set-up.

This looks like the right part for my 66 fury that had one welded and one bolted. I found someone with oem parts, but so expensive I made my own for much less. But if you need to stay original, this is right. Large rubber washers for the upper end, and the split square for the bar....right. I did another thread with my homemade unit since money is an object.

Back