Where to get a windshield?

themam2000k

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not posted in a long time. I purchased a 69 Newport Custom Hardtop estate car in 2017 that was saved from the scrapyard by a non car guy neighbor who I bought it from. I’ve stored the car since then and am now starting to get it fired up again. It’s has a HP factory motor and needs a few seals and some freeze plugs. The windshield has cracked somehow over the years and I need a new one. Does anyone have an inexpensive source for a windshield?

Pull one out of a parts car. I have been watching for years in my area. No luck yet. I saved one that is less cracked out of a parts car I had. The coupe hard tops are hard to find. I have found a bunch of sedan windshields.

Pull one out of a parts car. I have been watching for years in my area. No luck yet. I saved one that is less cracked out of a parts car I had. The coupe hard tops are hard to find. I have found a bunch of sedan windshields.

Sorry it’s a 4 door hardtop, is that the same as a coupe? I did not not know there was difference.

These windshields are not hard to get. Go to a smaller auto glass shop, not one of the major chains. Tell them what you need. They'll order it, and install it when it comes in. Or you can install it. Inexpensive? That depends on your definition. Should be under the 500.00$ Mark.

I really don't think that's worth the effort. The time it takes to visit the yards, finally finding one, carefully removing and transporting it, then installing it, only to find it's pitted. If there wasn't a source of new glass, this would be the only recourse, luckily new glass is available.

There's even a Scandinavian company making excellent reproductions for like 1500 bucks or something. The one's you'll find for a reasonable price in the States are what's known as "China glass," not quite as good as the originals, but not terrible either.

I really don't think that's worth the effort. The time it takes to visit the yards, finally finding one, carefully removing and transporting it, then installing it, only to find it's pitted. If there wasn't a source of new glass, this would be the only recourse, luckily new glass is available.

There's even a Scandinavian company making excellent reproductions for like 1500 bucks or something. The one's you'll find for a reasonable price in the States are what's known as "China glass," not quite as good as the originals, but not terrible either.
They are not readily available, hence all the conversation on the site about sourcing new glass. Yes there was a European place that could make them and a thread on the site discussing a potential bulk buy to get some to North America.

If you have a source please share it.

69 B body easy easy C body not so much.

1727541219365.png

They are not readily available, hence all the conversation on the site about sourcing new glass. Yes there was a European place that could make them and a thread on the site discussing a potential bulk buy to get some to North America.

If you have a source please share it.

69 B body easy easy C body not so much.

Have you tried ordering one? I don't really have a "source." I just walked into a smaller family run auto glass shop and asked for a new windshield for my '71 Newport. Three days later it was in.

Have you tried ordering one? I don't really have a "source." I just walked into a smaller family run auto glass shop and asked for a new windshield for my '71 Newport. Three days later it was in.
I have tried ordering from Metro several times and they have never had one available for a hard top 69-73

I have tried ordering from Metro several times and they have never had one available for a hard top 69-73

A lot of places have non existent parts in "inventory." There are other sources. Call some of your local shops. I just googled 1971 Dodge Polara windshield and 1970 Chrysler windshield and found these guys on ebay. I have no experience with them, worth looking into if you really need one. I hope you find one!

Screenshot_20240928-220913.png
Screenshot_20240928-220747.png

Back