Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

Yeah, I like you placement estimate better. Its very well documented, too.:)

That first photo also captures the "keep" with a more imposing perspective ala the illustator's view. There may even be a bit better elevation, vs. the Castle, from the park that allows that to happen.

I did not believe the car was on grass, though surely it could have been grass 70 years ago. Plus, yes there is a boat dock on the south side STILL today. Your placement would also logically explain the absense of Windsor-Eton bridge in the illustration.

But I didnt see a trace St. George's chapel in the illustration, so that moved me toward the east, but NOT past the bridge.

I think this is the chapel, the flying buttresses look more like a roofline in the illustration. Also the tower looking element looks like the wing on the chapel in the early picture (the structures in the foreground in this picture start looking more like the illustration).
Windsor4.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Alan

OK, last one for me as OP until next year. The "statue" game. The medal round. Two nominees.

I essentially put this game up - or at least referred to it back in #534, so its been out there for months.

1728576735800.png

1. Where is 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi? City and state?
2. What location? (you cannot get PegMan in here at street level, and you are not likely to get a definitive street level picture from any source). Therefore, name of location/generic aerial of it are fine answers, but location name is a must however.

I believe I was present here when this was taken. I was a summer intern in graduate business school in late spring 1991, and the bosses thought it would be a "treat" to let me go on a "marketing shoot".

Was it "late" (in the program)? Yes. The cars were late, so everything pre-launch was stacked up/compressed.

Did this particular pic make it to the brochure? Dunno for certain. Photoshoot I saw was on a white SSEi, I know who the agency was the company used back then and a bunch of them were around, and the location (topography, "flora and fauna", etc.,) looked familiar me (based on subsequent visits I made there). Possible it was another white SSEi, done somewhere else? Sure. I don't think so but I cannot verify that it is NOT from the shoot I saw in person.

I think this is a very difficult game. Ya gotta stitch together some data and maybe even make educated guesses to come up with something.

Answer Monday morning EDT. See if anybody gets a Walter P. Btw, "dudes" for anybody else who gets it. :poke:

Last edited:
I could just about throw a dart at a map and have something that fits that.

Alan
Although higher degree of difficulty was my objective for this game, i do have "hints" that narrow the possibilities to a manageable set of options.

The difficulty with this one is thinking about connections between elements, hinted and assumed (unstated), that only have relevance as a whole.

I think/hope, anyway. We'll see. :)

I may be taking some Wild guesses with this one, but feel like I might be heading down a path that might lead to a Walter P.

I’ll PM you soon.

I may be taking some Wild guesses with this one, but feel like I might be heading down a path that might lead to a Walter P.

I’ll PM you soon.
yeah, there will very likely be a logical assumption(s), a couple of informed speculations, etc., one has to make to go from "anywhere in the world" to the Bonneville was "probably there".

hope you can "share the ET stage" Monday night with these fine people after graciously accepting your Walter P.:poke:

1728648805280.png

Last edited:
another "winner"!

another player who put it all together with logic, clues, and knowing what it takes sometimes to get a new platform out the door.

Gonna be a crowded stage monday night.:poke:

#663. Walter P. Game Three.

Car was at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, MI.

About 45 miles northwest of GM Headquarters in downtown Detroit. Being private property, none of the digital map tools are able to provide "street view" shots.

I cannot tell from the aerial exactly where this car was. It was near the high speed banked track area, but in fact while we were there it was not being "tested" for engineering purposes (though it was instrumented inside for NVH) on that track.

There was an "administrative" building (it was called that, but there are hundreds of buildings out there) nearby, one of the several "ponds" too ..but I can't identify it from the air (plus its been 33 years).

1728905035187.png
1728905356477.png
1728905568501.png
1728905168608.png

10 minute video below, a little heavy on the corporate speak, but interesting nonetheless to give a sense of what the Proving Ground looks like/does.

Two people, @MrMoparCHP and @SPF Required, reported correct solutions to these last three games.

Drum roll ...statues please. I tried to stump them, and everyone else, with this last game. But alas did not.:) . Seriously, thanks guys - nice work on this last one.

1728905938223.png

I "retire" again til next year as an OP for this game. Hope others get in there whenever they find something interesting.

Maybe we'll name some girls for a bit -- roust the cavedwellers before the holidays .:poke:
1728908495757.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the game. I have zero idea on how to use mapping tools to solve the problem and really don’t want to learn.
I’m enjoying the history and have no problem remaining under my rock. ;^)

And in the event anyone is following this thread, but doesn’t play…. This was my logic behind guessing the Milford Proving Grounds based on you clues.

Sent via PM:

Since you mentioned the bosses suggested you head over to the marketing shoot, I assume you worked for GM. And….. if it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, you would have needed to drive to the photo shoot, instead of fly. You also mentioned the cars were late and stacked up which makes me think the photo shoot was at a location GM already had access too, and possibly a location the cars were already at.

Sooo…. If you worked at GM in Detroit, and you could drive to a location where these cars may have already been stacked up, I am thinking this photo was at the Milford Proving Grounds in Milford MI. I cannot get pegman in there, and from the aerial photo the flora could be similar with plenty of winding roads to get that black top in the background.

I am honored to received such a prestigious award! I’ll put this in the trophy case along side my Dude from a while back.

Thanks again @amazinblue82. Until the next one.
Gracious acceptance. Dignified. Understated. :poke:

Unlike my friend here. I still like her though -- from" Gidget" till now were both senior citizens (she's way older though):)

1728913616690.png

My logic was there was some level of expectation that we could figure it out. Whereas it could have been just about anywhere there could be no expectation to figure that out.

Having been to the Ford Proving Grounds in Romeo Michigan I had an idea what they are like, the GM Proving Grounds just made since.

Alan

My logic was there was some level of expectation that we could figure it out. Whereas it could have been just about anywhere there could be no expectation to figure that out.

Having been to the Ford Proving Grounds in Romeo Michigan I had an idea what they are like, the GM Proving Grounds just made since.

Alan
Yes, I thought there was enough there to take it OUT of the "anywhere in the world" thing ... who's got time/interest in that kinda game. I know I dont.

Example, where's this one? Who da F knows? Thousands of places look like this -- someplace with snow, trees, and some mountains . Gotta have more to go on than that.

1728926832076.png

Yeah, I did kinda wanna take the "google the pic" option off the table and rely more on clues/logic for this last game.

If I had NOT been there when it was done, or worked at the company and been there a lot, I wouldnt have used this Bonneville as OP. Plus, i would likely would NOT have gotten it, or even bothers as a player, without a few hints.

ALways an educated guess, as an OP, as to what could be interesting/fun vs. a tedious time waster.:)

Yes, I thought there was enough there to take it OUT of the "anywhere in the world" thing ... who's got time/interest in that kinda game. I know I dont.

Example, where's this one? Who da F knows? Thousands of places look like this -- someplace with snow, trees, and some mountains . Gotta have more to go on than that.

View attachment 686985

Yeah, I did kinda wanna take the "google the pic" option off the table and rely more on clues/logic for this last game.

If I had NOT been there when it was done, or worked at the company and been there a lot, I wouldnt have used this Bonneville as OP. Plus, i would likely would NOT have gotten it, or even bothers as a player, without a few hints.

ALways an educated guess, as an OP, as to what could be interesting/fun vs. a tedious time waster.:)
The last time you posted an example of a "not findable" people found it.
I agree, this one is a no go.

Alan

The last time you posted an example of a "not findable" people found it.
I agree, this one is a no go.

Alan
I figure if I can't find it, then it can't be done. I have been duly "humbled" by a what a couple other folks found fairly quickly. Turns out "crow" dont taste like chicken.

:thumbsup:

Back