Why are parts stores part # for 1970 300 440 upper radiator hose wrong?

Northcoast300h

Reaction score
I went to 3 parts stores. 1 said they don't make it anymore. 1 gave me Dayco#70592 which doesn't fit and the other said Gates part number is C70592 which looked like the wrong part# so I didn't order it. The only help I found was this picture in another forum with someone that put a 440 in his car and used a Dayco #71281. It looks just like mine.

Before I buy this, I'm wondering is the correct part discontinued? If not, what part # fits? I think the parts stores cross reference is incorrect. Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 12-33-16 Upper radiator hose For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum.png

@david hill and I ran into this issue when fixing my 1970 300 TNT 'vert. I initially ordered a Gates 20630, which was said to listed as compatible for a 440 with A/C and indeed worked very well on Medina, my 1971 T-code Monaco (also with A/C; installation in 2021). Well, it did not fit on the 1970 TNT. What ended up working is a Continental Elite 60664 molded hose that I bought from Rock Auto.

See our problem and solution here, with photos:

Introducing a 1970 300 TNT convertible

Know the factory part number (2863257)
go to the Gates website
Engine Hose
Search for the number.
get results
Automotive Interchange Search
look at pictures
Molded Coolant Hose | Gates Corporation

Alan
Thank you for suggesting this procedure, which is exactly what I do for every Gates hose I need -- but in this case it does not work.

What you did is what I did for Medina back in 2021 (which worked, see here), and for the TNT one and one half year later (which did not work, see here). In both cases, the Gates website gave me the 20630 hose -- same as what comes up using your last link. BUT, in @david hill's and my experiences, the 20630 does NOT work on a TNT with A/C.

David has had a Goodyear 60664 for years on his 300 TNT, and I (now @Ripinator) have had a Continental 60664 for 2 years on my (now his) 1970 300 TNT. Both hoses fit perfectly on two TNTs (1969 300 L-code and 1970 300 U-code), the Goodyear and the Conti look exactly the same, and they both have been reliable -- with many thousands of miles on David's and several thousand miles on mine.

Bottom line: If I were in @Northcoast300h's shoes, I would get the Continental 60664.

Last edited:
Bottom hoses are now pieces of garbage as well in my experience. They don't correctly bend around the oil filter and don't fit or make it dang near impossible to r&r the filter.
Why would you expend energy to change something that worked? Is there some Chevy hose that is 'almost' the same as Mopar bb and that's what we get now?

Bottom hoses are now pieces of garbage as well in my experience. They don't correctly bend around the oil filter and don't fit or make it dang near impossible to r&r the filter.
My own experience has been different, having replaced lower radiator hoses on 6 fusies in the past 6 years. What I got was a good fit and has had zero issue.

PS: as always, check that the lower hose has an anti-collapse spring (or add one).

My own experience has been different, having replaced lower radiator hoses on 6 fusies in the past 6 years. What I got was a good fit and has had zero issue.

PS: as always, check that the lower hose has an anti-collapse spring (or add one).
Then you got my good hoses! =)

Continental took the place of Goodyear. All part numbers stayed the same. The 60664 is the right hose for the at least 69-73 C bodies. In around 72 they added another hose 60621, that will work equally well. It looks different than the 60664 but fits very nicely.

Continental took the place of Goodyear. All part numbers stayed the same. The 60664 is the right hose for the at least 69-73 C bodies. In around 72 they added another hose 60621, that will work equally well. It looks different than the 60664 but fits very nicely.
My memory is Swiss cheese, you retired and can't get stuff anymore, correct?

Both the 60664-upper and 60659-lower are out of stock on RockAuto right now. They do have 1 of the 60621 that I know will work. Somebody grab it.
Now to the subject of the spring in the lower hose. Back in the day, the only reason that spring was in there was for a quick vacuum coolant fill on the car assembly line. Period! I realize things are different today with the high volume water pumps and higher rpm's that people might run on their hotrods. Back then the hoses that went to the auto assembly plants had the spring and the same exact hose that went to the dealers and parts stores did not get them. The engineers that I talked to, said if your hose sucks shut then you have other ptoblems in your cooling system.

Both the 60664-upper and 60659-lower are out of stock on RockAuto right now. They do have 1 of the 60621 that I know will work. Somebody grab it.
FWIW, Summit Racing has plenty of the 60664 and 60659 in stock. This said, the Summit price is much higher than RA's.

I am going through this right now...

Please tell me where to buy an anti-collapse spring - they're very difficult to find listed ANYWHERE!

Thanks guys. Only here on this website would I be able to get this info. I'm trying to be proactive for once in my life. My 22yr old napa upper hose is still good, but its getting that spongy feeling. The lower hose feels OK.

Regards,

Thanks guys. Only here on this website would I be able to get this info. I'm trying to be proactive for once in my life. My 22yr old napa upper hose is still good, but its getting that spongy feeling. The lower hose feels OK.

Regards,
I would do both at the same time. Do it once and be done -- saves you time, and that is worth something.

Anyone have any pictures of hose 60664, 60659 or 60621 on a 440? The 71281 in my original post seems to fit very nicely, however it seems like its pushing down on the heater hose. I can't tell if its tall enough to allow the heater hoses to route underneath. My unknown part # hose barely touches the heater hoses but doesn't push down on them. Thanks.

IMG_E5255.JPG

Back