Wilwood Disc upgrade question…

SportFuryman

Reaction score
I’m wanting to upgrade my front drums on my 66 Sport Fury with the front disc kit from Wilwood. I already have a Master Cylinder to use with it and will need a booster also. Can anyone who has done this tell me what else I will need to get parts wise that’s not included with the Wilwood kit? Thank you in advance!

I put them all the way around and they work out amazing. I installed a leed brakes booster/master cylinder/proportioning valve setup for that portion(before anyone gives me crap, its working out amazing and has been on for 2 yrs now). I've installed multiple wilwood kits on my cars and have zero complaints about any of them. The front kit is a very straight forward and easy install but you will have to bend, flare, and route some of your own brake lines PM me if you get the kit and I will go over what I did and send pics. If you decide to go all 4 definitely PM me because the rear is much more tricky and mechanically complicated but I can give tips that will save headaches I went through. Definitely better quality than the other cheaper disc conversion kits but at a slightly higher cost.

IMG_5497.jpeg

IMG_6407.jpeg

I put them all the way around and they work out amazing. I installed a leed brakes booster/master cylinder/proportioning valve setup for that portion(before anyone gives me crap, its working out amazing and has been on for 2 yrs now). I've installed multiple wilwood kits on my cars and have zero complaints about any of them. The front kit is a very straight forward and easy install but you will have to bend, flare, and route some of your own brake lines PM me if you get the kit and I will go over what I did and send pics. If you decide to go all 4 definitely PM me because the rear is much more tricky and mechanically complicated but I can give tips that will save headaches I went through. Definitely better quality than the other cheaper disc conversion kits but at a slightly higher cost.

View attachment 677039

View attachment 677040
Thank you! That’s the kind of info I needed! That looks like a beautiful fury by the way. Would love to see a pic of the whole thing!

Zero personal Wilwood experience, but my biggest concern with their kits, is all the ones I've looked at, had rotors less than an inch thick. Not the hot ticket for an upwards of 5000 lb vehicle in my opinion. Factory 69-73 discs are 1.25 inch thick, 11.75" in diameter as a comparison.

I'd be looking for a factory setup if it was mine. The earlier tandem booster is becoming hard to find tho. Yours being a Sport Fury, it should have a console shift which let's you use the later power booster that would interfere with the column shift linkage.

Kevin

The thickness would just mean less heat capacity. You'd be able to make a few panic stops, but probably not as many as you could with thicker discs.

I have an ssbc setup front and read and it has already saved my life once with a panic stop where the wheels locked and I slid straight as an arrow. On 17" nitto 555g2s as well, some idiot pulled out 20ft infront of me when I came down the road going 45 or 50 something... I'd assume that the wilwood would work just as good?

I've been using factory parts for all my front disc conversions (64 to 72 a, b and c) and glad I can.
The big plus is factory stock replacement disc and calipers instead of fancy disc or adaptors that may not be available later.
The question is will the front-end line up when the steering spindles/knuckles from a different year and or model Mopar are used. So far so good.
Cost averages $300/400 for spindles, calipers, disc, pads, hoses.....

I've been using factory parts for all my front disc conversions (64 to 72 a, b and c) and glad I can.
The big plus is factory stock replacement disc and calipers instead of fancy disc or adaptors that may not be available later.
The question is will the front-end line up when the steering spindles/knuckles from a different year and or model Mopar are used. So far so good.
Cost averages $300/400 for spindles, calipers, disc, pads, hoses.....
Super helpful thanks

Super helpful thanks
See if the stuff from the 78/79 Chrysler Cordoba (11.75 disc/15-inch wheels) will fit. All of it, the whole buffalo.
Including ball joints, they probably fit.
But not the outer tie rod ends. Maybe change both inner AND outer tie rod ends with sleeves?

See if the stuff from the 78/79 Chrysler Cordoba (11.75 disc/15-inch wheels) will fit. All of it, the whole buffalo.
Including ball joints, they probably fit.
But not the outer tie rod ends. Maybe change both inner AND outer tie rod ends with sleeves?
With the exception of the wheels, none of that will fit a C.

Spindles from a 69 to 73 c-body are a bolt in for all 65 to 73 drum brake c-bodies. They use the same balljoints. 73 is the preferred spindle because the rotors are usually less $$. They use a bigger wheel bearing, so they won't work on the pre 73 spindles without some machine shop creativity.

Kevin

With the exception of the wheels, none of that will fit a C.

Spindles from a 69 to 73 c-body are a bolt in for all 65 to 73 drum brake c-bodies. They use the same balljoints. 73 is the preferred spindle because the rotors are usually less $$. They use a bigger wheel bearing, so they won't work on the pre 73 spindles without some machine shop creativity.

Kevin

Is the Sport Fury a Fury or a Grand Fury? With respect to the ball joints?

Is the Sport Fury a Fury or a Grand Fury? With respect to the ball joints?
C-Bodies are all the same from 65 to 73, Dodge Polara, Monaco, Plymouth Fury, Chrysler 300, Newport and New Yorker. Any of those cars equipped with drum brakes, use the same ball joints as a 69 to 73 disc brake cars.

66 to 68 4 piston Budd disc brake cars use a different lower ball joint but the same lower control arm, so if you were wanting to convert that setup to the 69-73 single piston type, you would need the 69-73 spindles with the corresponding lower ball joints.

Kevin

Actual Wilwood hardware stuff is decent. The company on the other hand is above scumbag level. Too much to type for my awful experience with them (I finally threw the letter they sent out), but for anyone that has had to experience any real customer service from them you know what I mean. NEVER again for me. I tore mine out and went with Strange on the race car. If you Google bad Wilwood experience you will find a lot of examples like mine.

C-Bodies are all the same from 65 to 73, Dodge Polara, Monaco, Plymouth Fury, Chrysler 300, Newport and New Yorker. Any of those cars equipped with drum brakes, use the same ball joints as a 69 to 73 disc brake cars.

66 to 68 4 piston Budd disc brake cars use a different lower ball joint but the same lower control arm, so if you were wanting to convert that setup to the 69-73 single piston type, you would need the 69-73 spindles with the corresponding lower ball joints.

Kevin

It looks like the 78/79 Cordoba uses the same ball joints as the 66 drum Fury. Threaded lower and upper joint? But NOT pressed lower?
I used them on 64, 68 New Yorker conversion but no Plymouths.

View attachment 677039

View attachment 677040

Hey Fury! How'd the Leed conversion go? Any problems with the Leed booster bolting up to the firewall? Any challenges with the rod length? Thanks in advance!

Hey Fury! How'd the Leed conversion go? Any problems with the Leed booster bolting up to the firewall? Any challenges with the rod length? Thanks in advance!
I've had no issues with the leed booster to date. I did have to contact them when I installed it to have them send me a different pedal to booster rod that didn't come with the kid(came with the most common 3 lengths of course I needed the 4th option). There was no charge for this rod.

Back