Wrong windshield gasket?

darth_linux

Reaction score
Hi all. Working on my '66 Newport 2 door. Recently the brightwork at the top of the windshield blew off of the car while driving on the freeway. Come to find out that it was glued on, and the glue failed. I can't find any clips present to hold the trim in place, hence the glue.

I sourced a replacement from one of our forum members, but am finding that the new piece doesn't fit quite right and I'm starting to wonder if someone used the wrong windshield gasket/seal when the windshield itself was replaced (no idea when that happened). Pictures below will show the gaps at either end of the brightwork, and then the seal itself, which seems to have something of a lip that can be lifted up, for no reason that I can ascertain.

Do I have the wrong windshield gasket/seal?

Was I sold the wrong brightwork trim?

TIA!

IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3791.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3795.jpeg

IMG_3796.jpeg

looks like the gasket is inside out? All wrong for sure anyway.

the different body styles used different windshields and chrome, so that could be why the upper piece is short...might be convert or later fasttop? that corner is strange...i'm thinking inside out too

I'd say it might be in backwards too. At the very least it's not in right or it's the wrong one. That corner is funky.

I think discrete use of some weatherstrip adhesive and chrome/aluminum HVAC tape might be the solution that avoids removing the windshield and starting over from scratch.

This really needs to be corrected. Didn't you say you had water getting into the car? I used this brand gaskets for my Barracuda, front and rear, and they were good.

Precision Product WBL D657 Detail Page

It's not that hard to pull the windshield and replace the seal. It doesn't look like it was glued or sealed when it was installed, so that will make the job easier.

1722961396568.png

I thought with that lump it might have been backwards but my wagon has a bulge there too...maybe gasket for a body style that's narrower at the top and
KIMG0371.jpg
they stretched the hell out of it to fit?

I ended up getting a new piece of windshield molding from a 67. Everything says that 65 through 68 are identical for the two-door hardtop, but the piece I have now has about 3/8” gap on either side. I filled this gap with some HVAC aluminum tape and called it good for now. Not the solution I wanted, but it’s the solution that I employed.

I used a generous amount of adhesive since there were no clips to be found, and the metal tape at the corners will hopefully hold it all together enough that it doesn’t “blow off” again.

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

As others have said, the gasket looks backward - but that was my 2nd thought.
My 1st thought was that it looks like a backglass gasket that's in backward - but that wouldn't fit around the windshield?
And that peelable 'flap' - I don't recognize that from a C-body, not on the outside, anyway.

If it were me, I'd remove everything, incl the windshield, and figure out what's what, get the right trim, get clips (they are avail new) and put everything to correct.
I'm a believer that there's more than 1 way to 'do it right', but I would not leave this situation in its current state.
Losing trim at highway speed could be dangerous to other vehicles or motorcyclists.

If it helps, I probably have a set of windshield trim I could sell you, and I would verify fitment before I'd send it. (not to sway you, but your car is too nice to roll around with this problem)

Here are pics of my 65 fury's gasket. It's been in there since before 1992, I'm confident it's an original. (except it should be cracked!!!)
1723595512611.png

1723595762182.png

As others have said, the gasket looks backward - but that was my 2nd thought.
My 1st thought was that it looks like a backglass gasket that's in backward - but that wouldn't fit around the windshield?
And that peelable 'flap' - I don't recognize that from a C-body, not on the outside, anyway.

If it were me, I'd remove everything, incl the windshield, and figure out what's what, get the right trim, get clips (they are avail new) and put everything to correct.
I'm a believer that there's more than 1 way to 'do it right', but I would not leave this situation in its current state.
Losing trim at highway speed could be dangerous to other vehicles or motorcyclists.

If it helps, I probably have a set of windshield trim I could sell you, and I would verify fitment before I'd send it. (not to sway you, but your car is too nice to roll around with this problem)

Here are pics of my 65 fury's gasket. It's been in there since before 1992, I'm confident it's an original. (except it should be cracked!!!)
View attachment 677209
View attachment 677210
Did you see in Post #7 how his windshield gasket looked just like mine? I'm curious about why there seems to be a variance in gasket "appearance." What I DO know for sure is that my windshield was replaced at some point, probably the gasket too, and it's either a different design than original, or put in backwards as you and others have suggested.

I will probably get to removing the windshield next spring after I find an assistant with experience. I am not willing to risk breaking the glass due to my inexperience. Currently the trim is well secured with half a tube of E6000 and HVAC aluminum tape at either end/corner.

Yes, I saw post 7. I think his has the same problem as yours.

Look at how much gasket is exposed beyond the trim on his and yours, vs how wide my bare gasket is.
Look at how flat mine is at the top corner - no outward bulges. A mostly-square inside corner.

Again, I cannot attest mine is correct, but it's what has been in there since 92-93 when I bought the car. And it clearly wasn't new at that time, either, because the windshield had quite a few cracks in it way back then. Nobody puts a new gasket on a broken windsheild.

I hope the reproduction gaskets are correct, as my 68 Fury is needing a new windshield, but is awaiting a new gasket first (via Summit, from the vendor Big_John linked to) and I sure hope their design is correct. And I hope it isn't out-of-production at this point. Should've bought one several years ago when I first saw them. (we should never assume repro parts will always be available)

I think that gasket is inside out. Or at a minimum a terrible aftermarket piece. I don't have any experience with aftermarket Chrysler stuff but I have had many GM and the quality variations are off the charts. With poor being more common.

If I have a bad window with a good rubber I save and reuse the rubber. If the window expensive or rubber is bad I don't mess with it I cut the flange off with a razor knife.

I'm done with cheap or no name rubber was having good results with Steele Rubber.

See attached Pic. I believe this to be a factory install. Note it has the same cast in dot as @fury fan in upper passenger side and a definitive miter and bevel with a 1/4" bevel face.

Pull some measurements across windshield.
You can confirm your car matches correct measurements and maybe determine if you have trim from another model.

20240927_181329.jpg

20240927_181348.jpg

20240927_181359.jpg

I think that gasket is inside out. Or at a minimum a terrible aftermarket piece. I don't have any experience with aftermarket Chrysler stuff but I have had many GM and the quality variations are off the charts. With poor being more common.

If I have a bad window with a good rubber I save and reuse the rubber. If the window expensive or rubber is bad I don't mess with it I cut the flange off with a razor knife.

I'm done with cheap or no name rubber was having good results with Steele Rubber.

See attached Pic. I believe this to be a factory install. Note it has the same cast in dot as @fury fan in upper passenger side and a definitive miter and bevel with a 1/4" bevel face.

Pull some measurements across windshield.
You can confirm your car matches correct measurements and maybe determine if you have trim from another model.

View attachment 684099

View attachment 684100

View attachment 684101
Thank you for those photos. My gasket also has that round "dot" in the upper passenger side corner. I looked at a bunch of B bodies and 1 C body at a car show back in August, and most gaskets looked more like mine than not. Very few looked "perfect." Most had some weird deformations. Mine having the DOT where it's supposed to be leads me to believe the deformation is function of either age, installation technique, quality, or all 3, not that it's wrong or backwards. What I don't want to do is "fix" something that isn't broken and cause myself more problems that I already have. Given that the windshield is newer, doesn't have any cracks and doesn't leak, I'm not inclined to take it apart and find out if it's right or wrong. I think I got upper trim for a B body, not a C body, explaining why it's about 3/4" too short.

thanks again!

The 'dot' is likely a molding gate, and there would be several around the whole gasket (maybe 4 or 8 of them?) so I don't think you can depend on its presence in that location as any proof. If the gasket is reversed, it might still have a gate in that location when you look at it. BTAIM, though...

Here's the inside of my 65 Fury gasket, it looks to have the corners clipped in all 4 corners locations. I don't know the significance of this, other than it would seem that a factory gasket cannot be used inside-out.
1727654212866.png

And here's hte gasket on my 68 Fury. This was a 1-owner survivor car when I bought it, and I have no reason to believe the gasket was replaced. It does have that flap-edge you mentioned earlier, which I thought was incorrect. I was wrong.

1727654464179.png

Here's a pic of the Steele gasket Big_John linked to. It has the clipped corners same as my 65.
I cannot see these corners on my 68 as the interior roofline trim is in place.
1727654605433.png

Further review of the Steele:
I think the red dots are the bottom corners, and the lime are the uppers.
I base that on the lime in the interior of the pic is too much of a corner to be at teh base of the glass.
The red spot at the right of the pic is more rounded, and looks like it could fit the bottom corner.
Carefully following the red line around, it leads to the other one I marked in red.
That leaves the final corner at LL, which does look like a corner.
Although, none of that really helps for comparing to the car in question.

1727654834808.png

What I can determine from my cars (95% confidence, anyway) is that the 65 and 68 gaskets are different due to that flap (clipped corners is indeterminate).
Comparing OEM part#s would confirm that to 100% confidence if the part#s are different.
But that does not mean they are not interchangeable, a difference in part# only means some detail was changed in form, fit, or function.
The flap in the later gasket would seem to help keep water away from the clips/channel and heading down the outside of the glass. (my speculation)

The aftermarket lists the gasket as fitting 65-68 C-bodies 2 & 4-door hardtops and convertibles.
Coincidentally the same cars that take the #657 windshield.

Steele lists the OEM part# as 2664569.
Here's a site that shows it replaces 2 OEM part#s, which suggests the aftermarket has made it as a will-fit rather than OEM-accurate.

2664569 is hte newer of the 2 part #s, and Darth's car has that flap, and my 68 has that flap.
Surely only 1 supplier is actually making these gaskets, and likely making them to fit the 2664569.
MoparMall may simply been able to determine that it fit the older gasket's application also.

1727655624638.png

Everything in my last post is just trying to connect dots (pun intended).
I have a new gasket from Precision (Big_John's link earlier) and it's due to ship Nov 7 (that date has slipped a few times, but it seems stable for the last few weeks).
When it arrives, we may have some more clues to this situation.

If anyone wants to check their Mopar parts books downloads for 65 thru 68, that would be much appreciated!

Back