1406 adapter

I've yet to install it. I'm sure it didn't need the 750 cfm, but I ran the 1407 (same carb minus the electric choke) on a 302 and a 460 Ford, so they're adaptable to about any engine. Plus I got a great deal on it from eBay...

I've got one of each of the 1406 and 1411 in use now and they both are only "decent" carbs that after some mods have become "good" and neither of which I would ever buy again. I will hold out for "best" next time.

And when I say adapter I mean the intake manifold adapter..but I am certain you folks already knew that..thanks again

Oh! Baby. . . Oh! Baby! I love your car. Very classy, great color and the white vinyl top just makes it pop. And if I haven't said it before, welcome to FCBO.

I've got one of each of the 1406 and 1411 in use now and they both are only "decent" carbs that after some mods have become "good" and neither of which I would ever buy again. I will hold out for "best" next time.

My experience has always been good with these carbs, but I'm curious, what carb do you consider the "best"?

Well I haven't personally found it yet but my understanding is that the Thunder series is a superior carb. It's truly a case of getting what you pay for and while many swear by the performer series being great right out of the box that's just not the experience I've had with them. There's plenty of chatter easily found on the net about the difficulties with these carbs.

ask ol knebel and some other dudes here that have thrown on EFI

im running an eddie 1405 on a 383 like world + dog

try not to die -

- saylor

Well I haven't personally found it yet but my understanding is that the Thunder series is a superior carb. It's truly a case of getting what you pay for and while many swear by the performer series being great right out of the box that's just not the experience I've had with them. There's plenty of chatter easily found on the net about the difficulties with these carbs.

I agree with @detmatt that the Thunder series which are based on the Carter AVS are superior to the Performer series which ate based on Carter AFB's. I have a Thunder 1806 on one of my 66-300's and it is far more responsive but....it lends itself to more built up engines where the Performer 1406 is more of a stock replacement. 1406's run lean which on a later smog motor is not a bad thing. If money is not a consideration I would get the 1806 if I were in the market.

You will need the adapter if you took a Thermoquad or other such spreadbore carb off that intake. If it looks like this yes..
View attachment 120504

No if it looks like this....
View attachment 120505
Thanks for the info I think I will continue driving the new Yorker with the carb (avs) that came with the car and over the winter get a proper rebuild..I don't want the look of an after market breather on the 440..orginal l look is best. The carb works great except on warm start up she shoots out the black sute but I can live with that..I know when I placed a 1406 on a 74 Road Runner with the 360 the factory breather fit perfectly on the elderbrock carb not sure about the 440..anyways thanks .

1978 NYB , Thanks for the good pic of the throttle and pass gear setup. Just what I was looking for.
Some of the big blocks had the spread bore intake and thremoquad. The big block Thremoquads had bigger primaries than the small block Thremoquad.
My brother put a Elderbrook carb on my Dads 66 Fury and did not setup the throttle + pass gear properly. Now the car is mine!!

1978 NYB , Thanks for the good pic of the throttle and pass gear setup. Just what I was looking for.
Some of the big blocks had the spread bore intake and thremoquad. The big block Thremoquads had bigger primaries than the small block Thremoquad.
My brother put a Elderbrook carb on my Dads 66 Fury and did not setup the throttle + pass gear properly. Now the car is mine!!

I'm glad that the picture sorted things out for you.

Back