1962 Transmission Filter

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
1962 Imperial, going through it to get it ready for the road. Dropped the tranny pan and it has a normal cloth type filter in it. Trying to find one listed for it seems impossible.

After some reading it seems they originally came with just a filter screen and had an inline filter on the cooler line. I do have a filter on the cooler.

So what filter fits on the transmission so I can get one, and gasket?

20240729_211459.jpg

20240729_211724.jpg

20240729_211746.jpg

They don't need a gasket, and they do need to have two holes for fluid pickup like the one you show. The 1966 and newer have just one pickup hole, that won't work for your 1962.

I would brush off the dark spots and keep using the filter you have. I like them better than the screens.

Here ya go!
I'm sure they sell good gaskets too. Make sure the bolt holes are flat. Tap them flat with a small headed hammer over a block of wood as needed.

Last edited:
Dex III is now under "Multi-Makes" terminology, just read the back of the container to see that the basic application is for GM vehicles. Also in ACDelco as "Type III". Pure DINO oil, no synthetics, as Dex VI.

CBODY67

1962 Imperial, going through it to get it ready for the road. Dropped the tranny pan and it has a normal cloth type filter in it. Trying to find one listed for it seems impossible.

After some reading it seems they originally came with just a filter screen and had an inline filter on the cooler line. I do have a filter on the cooler.

So what filter fits on the transmission so I can get one, and gasket?

View attachment 675195

View attachment 675196

View attachment 675197
Go to your parts store and tell them you want a WIX 58658 filter. Otherwise they will more than likely give you the wrong filter with one hole. I just dealt with this same issue last week.

Hello'
Dextron is the successor to the original type A fluid. Type F will provide slightly firmer shifts (if you are sensitive) and slightly longer clutch life not that it matters for most of our cars. All of the Mopar Type series fluids (7176, III, IV, etc.) are higher grade to full synthetic and are compatible, but also pretty expensive and overkill except perhaps where you are using your old beast to tow.
The inline filter on the early '60's cars was little more than a magnet. If you have a 727 with a screen, get a real filter that retrofits.
The above info is from a host of old guys in Detroit who worked in the Chrylser transmission lab, MoPar service training center, etc.
Mark

Back