66 fury III 2 door hardtop needs a front end

Got one of the transmission lines done and the hole cut in the hood for the air cleaner. I will get the other transmission line done tomorrow, hook up the headlights, mount the electronic ignition and them go for a brief ride down around the block.

Let the engine warm up for to running temp for the first time tonight. Oh she sounds great!

I got the headlights and horns all back on today. After figuring out the ground go them they are all working. I plan on moving my ignition box and will have to crimp some cables.

First the pic and then a funny story.

Last edited:
So we were getting the car all mechanically ready. We added antifreeze last night and I thought the engine got too warm so I shut it down. After talking with my buddy I wasn't allowing the engine to get warm enough to open the thermostat. We started up the car and let it ran. Since we had to remove the heater core there was an added gauge cluster that had an actual temperature reading. I watched the temp go to 207 and then drop fast to 185 when the thermostat opened. Since I bought the car, the fuel gauge never moved. We were checking the transmission fluid levels and I was hearing a weird noise from the rear of the car. The engine quit as we ran out of gas. So the gauge works. 2 seconds after saying, "we are out of gas" I see a poof from the left side of the engine bay and a bunch of hissing. The bottom radiator hose popped off the radiator and started dumping antifreeze. I didn't have the clamp close enough on the feedneck.

Just an interesting night.

Tomorrow the interior will be completed. Except for the glove box. Leaving it open for any possible access we might require. I will be putting some gas in her, filling her up with antifreeze again, getting the hood scoop finalized, and finish bolting down all the body work. We are so close! I will be taking her for a short drive tomorrow!

That sticks about the antifreeze, but seems like you're getting close. Hood looks good. I could never figure out why Chrysler put the engines in these cars off center? Does anyone know why they did this? Was it some type of clearance issues?

Well no ride today. I got a ton accomplished but ran into more issues I have to work through. When running the engine it seems my thermostat is hosed. It was getting upwards of 210 degrees and so we shut it down. I am getting a new thermostat tomorrow. I have also noticed that the gas pedal wasn't decelerating when released that fast. Today the thing wouldn't drop rpms at all when I took my foot off. We trimmed down the tension spring as it was very flimsy and that helped a lot. Just small issues keep popping up. I don't have a picture but the hood scoop is complete. We starTed welding on the remaining pieces tonight.

Hey car ought to look great when you get it done. On your brakes I went through Performance Suspension Technology or P-S-T they advertise on the back of all the hotrod mags. I got a front disk kit form them for about 700 it comes with 4 piston Brimbo calipers and everything to change over to discs from drums. Now I bought the whole kit with booster and master cylinder included. Don't do this. They come with a 7 inch single diaphragm booster and a odd ball master cylinder. Go ahead and get the disc set up from them but then go to The Right Stuff Detailing and buy your booster it is a 8 inch dual diaphragm and I went to Oreilly's and bought a master cylinder for a 73 Charger it bolted right up. You will need to get a proportioning valve from either one of the companies, I suggest an adjustable.
If you want to do rear brakes and kit for a b body will work I found one on Ebay for around 350 and I believe it also came from The Right Stuff Detailing the only issue you will have here is you parking brake cables will be to short and you will either have to build new or fab something for your existing.
As far as the booster issue that 7 inch won't stop these big C bodies the factory used a 11 inch dual diaphragm!!!

Finally!!!!! So I got to take the car out for an illegal but quick spin around the neighborhood. It was good as I got to find some more issues I need to resolve. My speedometer back lights don't work. All the bulbs look like they are fine. Speedo cable is screwed up. I will have to screw with it some more.

As far as the overheating issue a new thermostat did the trick. Also discovered the PO said the parking break didn't work. It works.

I didn't get on the gas too much as I was driving without a plate and front turn signals. When we get it together I will really put the hammer down.

Sounds like fun! Just make sure you have clearance with the air cleaner installed at full throttle. You don't want the linkage to get stuck under the air cleaner and make sure the throttle releases back to idle.

Sounds like fun! Just make sure you have clearance with the air cleaner installed at full throttle. You don't want the linkage to get stuck under the air cleaner and make sure the throttle releases back to idle.

That is what I thought the issue was as well at first but all was clear. The spring itself was just so flimsy. I have been thinking of getting one of the small funnel things to raise up the air cleaner.

The PO of my car did this and that's why I own it now. After getting the entire car redone and then tuned by one of my buddy's he decided to punch it in reverse in his driveway (why I have no idea) and the throttle was jammed under the air cleaner. Well, the rear of the car slammed into a big oak tree and destroyed the bumper, rear drivers quarter, lights and deck lid. He then got scared and put the car into drive and my buddy reached over and shut the ignition off before he hit his house! Again, why he did this in his driveway,..I have no clue! After that he sold the car to me as he was afraid of it. Good for me. Since then it's been fixed and it's ready for paint. It has less than 2000 miles on the new HP drive train.

The PO of my car did this and that's why I own it now. After getting the entire car redone and then tuned by one of my buddy's he decided to punch it in reverse in his driveway (why I have no idea) and the throttle was jammed under the air cleaner. Well, the rear of the car slammed into a big oak tree and destroyed the bumper, rear drivers quarter, lights and deck lid. He then got scared and put the car into drive and my buddy reached over and shut the ignition off before he hit his house! Again, why he did this in his driveway,..I have no clue! After that he sold the car to me as he was afraid of it. Good for me. Since then it's been fixed and it's ready for paint. It has less than 2000 miles on the new HP drive train.

Interesting. I came to own the car because the PO "blacked out" at a stop light and slammed on the gas and hit the back end of a truck.

That sticks about the antifreeze, but seems like you're getting close. Hood looks good. I could never figure out why Chrysler put the engines in these cars off center? Does anyone know why they did this? Was it some type of clearance issues?

I remember asking about that years ago. IIRC, it had to do mostly with providing clearance for the steering shaft & box. It also provided a little more footroom for the driver, especially if he/she had three pedals to play with.

I figured it was for the steering box, but why just these cars, I don't know. Kind of unique!

Last edited:
Well, we had a week off due to some foul weather and no real heating solution in my garage. We were working from a small two burner unit from a propane tank but it just didn't do the trick. I bought a 125K btu forced air heater at TractorSupply and a couple of 40lb Propane tanks. That thing got the garage roasting hot! I got the speedo detached and the passenger door off for the repair. We have a little bit of gap work on both doors, but once I get the dash all straightened we should be close to priming. I keep saying that and my body guy seems to keep dragging it out. I think he wants this project to go on forever. He was trying to talk me into buying an old mechanics garage in the neighborhood. I for one don't plan on redoing another car relatively soon.

Here is a quick intro. I am a total newb to car restoring. I have always wanted a classic car and finally found too good a deal to pass up. A guy selling his 66 Fury III just happened to rear end a truck in my neighborhood. It smashed in everything above the front bumper. It has a brand new 383 with a 30 overbore and a 391 in it.

I need a new front clip for it.

1. 65 and 66 fury III's sheet metal is interchangeable?
2. I have a lead on a 4 door Fury to use for parts. Will the front end of the 4 door fit on the 2 door?
3. Currently it has drum breaks and I would like to move to disc brakes. Has anyone ever done this and what kind of pain is it?
4. The guy that restored the car left the windshield washers unfinished. I want to get those working again.
5. The front hood smashed the windshield. Is glass easy to come by?

Here are the parts I need:
1. Hood
2. Front fenders
3. Grille and headlight bezels
4. Vent cowl
5. 2 headlights
6. Radiator
7. Radiator support

Any gotchas in there that might be a pain to find?

Thanks for the help in advance.
know of a complete rust free car less than a mile from my house. 66 fury II. grille is missing but think my neighbor who I sold my 66 sport fury too has it.let me know if I can help.

Here is a quick intro. I am a total newb to car restoring. I have always wanted a classic car and finally found too good a deal to pass up. A guy selling his 66 Fury III just happened to rear end a truck in my neighborhood. It smashed in everything above the front bumper. It has a brand new 383 with a 30 overbore and a 391 in it.

I need a new front clip for it.

1. 65 and 66 fury III's sheet metal is interchangeable?
2. I have a lead on a 4 door Fury to use for parts. Will the front end of the 4 door fit on the 2 door?
3. Currently it has drum breaks and I would like to move to disc brakes. Has anyone ever done this and what kind of pain is it?
4. The guy that restored the car left the windshield washers unfinished. I want to get those working again.
5. The front hood smashed the windshield. Is glass easy to come by?

Here are the parts I need:
1. Hood
2. Front fenders
3. Grille and headlight bezels
4. Vent cowl
5. 2 headlights
6. Radiator
7. Radiator support

Any gotchas in there that might be a pain to find?

Thanks for the help in advance.
know of a complete rust free car less than a mile from my house. 66 fury II. grille is missing but think my neighbor who I sold my 66 sport fury too has it.let me know if I can help.

Back