'66 Newport 2 Door hardtop

Brake Master cylinder upgrade, part 1:

Using aluminum foil to catch debris as I sanded the booster with a wire wheel mounted to a drill.
IMG_2431.jpeg

The paint came right off, so I took the whole thing down to bare metal. Well, most of it. Didn't do the back half . . . also using foil for masking purposes.
IMG_2432.jpeg

Using Rust Reformer as a primer.
IMG_2433.jpeg

Rust Reformer coat applied. Let it dry in the 85 degree sun for about 15 minutes and it was ready.
IMG_2435.jpeg

For the top coat I'm using Ace Satin Black.
IMG_2442.jpeg

Final coat applied.
IMG_2436.jpeg

Here's the MC mocked up just to see how it will look. I applied 3 coats of clear satin enamel to preserve the cast iron look.
IMG_2437.jpeg

Used foil to mask the distro-blocks bracket.
IMG_2439.jpeg

Distro-block and bracket cleaned up and painted.
IMG_2440.jpeg

Last edited:
Brake master cylinder upgrade, part 2:

Adapters I needed: 1/4” compression cap and union(?) to plug off the unused hole on top of the distribution block. 1/2”M to 3/8”F and 9/16”M to 3/8”F adapters for the MC and a 3/8" union to join the line from the MC to the rear brake line feeder.
IMG_2444.jpeg

2x20" 3/16" brake lines were sufficiently long.
IMG_2445.jpeg

Front brake line bent to fit. Kind of like a large "Z".
IMG_2446.jpeg

Here's the fitting I needed for the rear brake line coming from the MC.
IMG_2447.jpeg

Both brake lines bent and fitted.
IMG_2448.jpeg

Here you see the rear brake line going directly from the MC to the line that runs to the back axle.
IMG_2450.jpeg

MC filled and ready to be bled.
IMG_2451.jpeg

MC all bled, cover fitted. Looking sharp!
IMG_2452.jpeg

View from the side, everything all buttoned up. I'll bleed the wheel cylinders tomorrow and take her for a test drive.
IMG_2453.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my fuel gauge working today. As I suspected, my float was more of a “sink” and it was full of gasoline. I put a new float on and the fuel gauge now works. I paid about $15 for the float I believe on Amazon. The float is made by APC and is part #FM-EF005B.

I’m in need of a new strainer, so I’ll be sourcing one of those soon and I’ll pull the sending unit out again to change that. Figured it’s gone this long - what’s one more tank of gas gonna do right?

The sending unit is a Mopar 258-0624 – I wonder if this could be the original sending unit?

As suspected, the gauge does not read accurately. “Full” is just over a quarter tank, and “half full” is just about an eighth of a tank. But it’s better than nothing, so I’ll go with it!

IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2458.jpeg

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2461.jpeg

Last edited:
It can be adjusted, as far as I know. My old school rad shop guy did as I sat in the car. Not sure what he did, but he did it. Others here may be able to chime in on the process.

Pulled all 4 drums today to rebleed the cylinders and do a visual inspection. The PO did indeed replace all the wheel cylinders, hardware, hard and soft brake lines, and front brakes drums and shoes. He did not replace the rear drums or shoes even the he took it all apart to replace the wheel cylinders and hardware. Slightly disappointed by that, but oh well. It gives me something to do in July.

I was expecting the front drums to have integrated hubs, but nope, they slipped right off without any futzing about with cotter pins and castle nuts. These are 11x2-3/4. Maybe the 11x3 use the integrated hub …

IMG_2465.jpeg

Somebody modified the drum/hub, then. The drums are always affixed to the hub.

Great work on the rest of everything!

This weeks project has three parts: 1) install the water temp sending unit 2) install the correctly angled water neck to fix clearance issues with the AC compressor and air cleaner snorkel 3) replace and/or reroute some spark plug wires that had incorrect boots or placement.

IMG_2510.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

Somebody’s been here before!

I know that the AC system had already been discharged, so upon opening it to take things apart I found a mixture of black and green O-rings.

The new thermostat housing fixed all of my clearance problems between it, the upper hose, the AC compressor, and the air cleaner. And, my water temperature gauge now works. No leaks anywhere. I have a slight Miss now in the engine after changing some spark plug wires out, so I need to find which wire/plug is not firing correctly. Other than that, this was a great success.

IMG_2516.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg

IMG_2520.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

Nice. As you likely know, the green O rings are R134A compatible, and are used whenever a fitting has been opened.

Git'er charged up and enjoy your AC. My 66 T&C has the most ridiculous AC I've EVER experienced... it doesn't seem to matter what refrigerant I used - it just gets killer cold.

Because R12 is nearly impossible to find, and is expensive, and R134A is so regulated now, I have been using the commercially available Butane type stuff you can get at the store.

Check out the vent temperature - and for all you naysayers saying it doesn't work properly, it does, and has been doing so for years with absolutely no issues. Just don't use too much of the refrigerant... it's like a frick'n deep freeze in my car...

20230604_152025.jpg

Nice. As you likely know, the green O rings are R134A compatible, and are used whenever a fitting has been opened.

Git'er charged up and enjoy your AC. My 66 T&C has the most ridiculous AC I've EVER experienced... it doesn't seem to matter what refrigerant I used - it just gets killer cold.

Because R12 is nearly impossible to find, and is expensive, and R134A is so regulated now, I have been using the commercially available Butane type stuff you can get at the store.

Check out the vent temperature - and for all you naysayers saying it doesn't work properly, it does, and has been doing so for years with absolutely no issues. Just don't use too much of the refrigerant... it's like a frick'n deep freeze in my car...

View attachment 605262
Thanks Ross. I don’t think I’m quite ready to get this thing charged up yet. I have no idea what condition the dryer/receiver is in, nor the condenser, and I can see where someone had sort of resealed the evaporator valve area where the little copper tube goes into the big black tube. I also don’t know if the compressor itself is any good. But at least the compressor is not sitting on top of the upper radiator hose any longer!

Welp, it turns out I spoke too soon. Apparently Permatex #2 non-hardening is not right for thermostat housings. Time to do it all over again …

Using PermaTex 22071 water pump and thermostat housing gray RTV.

IMG_2525.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpeg

Last edited:
FWIW, I've always had good luck with a paper gasket and this stuff: for T-stats, 8-3/4" gearsets into the axle housings, and some engine stuff.
I can't think of hte last time I used RTV on the car, but I do use RTV-type stuff around the house.

1688694708024.png

All done. Gonna let it cure over night and then fill her up and test for leaks again; better not be any!

IMG_2527.jpeg

IMG_2528.jpeg

QUARTER WINDOW REGULATOR REPAIR PT. 1

rear seat out
IMG_2558.jpeg

door panel removed
IMG_2559.jpeg

water guard removed
IMG_2560.jpeg

glass removed - two spring circlips and one small bolt held the glass to the regulator assembly
IMG_2561.jpeg

here's where the bolt was
IMG_2562.jpeg

here is where the 2 spring clips were for the nylon rollers
IMG_2563.jpeg

ready to remove the front and rear tracks, plus the parallel adjustment track
IMG_2564.jpeg

here's all of the parts on the bench. new kit is on the bench as well, but doesn't appear to contain all that I need
IMG_2566.jpeg

here are the 2 sliders for the front track and the double roller for the back track
IMG_2565.jpeg

I have a hardtop finally!
IMG_2567.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s the whole thing loosely reassembled on the bench showing what new parts I’ll be using. The rebuild kit I got from Classic Industries was for B Bodies, so I knew it wouldn’t be perfect. Turns out about half the kit won’t work for C bodies.

Luckily some of the parts are salvageable and between the kit and the two sides, I think I can make it all like new again.

More details in a future post.

IMG_2568.jpeg

Back