'69 Fury III Convertible Build Thread- Project IVY

"but someone put two plugs in the bottom of this rad and even with heating I can't get them out."

Take it to a rad shop and have them swap on a different bottom tank. You need to run the cooler properly otherwise the trans is not going to be happy with you.

"but someone put two plugs in the bottom of this rad and even with heating I can't get them out."

Take it to a rad shop and have them swap on a different bottom tank. You need to run the cooler properly otherwise the trans is not going to be happy with you.
Already plan on taking it to a buddy of mine at Barrie Rad.

Nick

Picked up some stuff for the Fury. I buy the cheap Wire wheels because well I care less about them. Gonna give the Royal Purple a try.
GEDC0290.jpgGEDC0291.jpg

Nick

GEDC0291.jpg

GEDC0290.jpg

Just doing my... quarterly?... forum check and it looks like things are really coming together, slowly but surely...

You made a good call getting your knee checked out, I was always one of those push through the pain guys and the results are two differently fubar-ed shoulders, several blown discs in my lower back, ALL the discs in my neck, one bad hip, both knees blown out, two fubar-ed ankles, and one badly healed foot. and it only took 4 years of abuse.

Oh, and your old lady is right, cameras steal your soul...

The NHL was so watered down by the time our boy from Brantford showed up, that it wasn't hard for him to be "Great". If he'd been around 20 years earlier, he'd have been on the high side of average.
and I don't think the Canadians had a body guard on the ice for Rocket Richard.

Glad to hear you're going to get that rad sorted out.

As for the Princess Auto wire wheels, make sure you're wearing damn good googles, and keep that pretty lady of yours well away when you're using them. Those suckers shed shrapnel like crazy.

The Royal Purple will do the job, but it's a really co$tly way to get it done. Living in Whitby, you probably can't turn around without seeing a GM dealer. Go in to the parts counter and ask for 992869 Engine Oil Supplement. The stuff is less than $7/bottle and it works really well. It's a 500ml bottle, and one bottle does me for 5 oil changes.

Kevin I assume the supplement contains zinc?

Yep, and phosphate.

Reading the label is rather interesting. Mentions using the stuff as break-in oil on a rebuild, dipping tappets into it before installing them in the block and pouring on the cam lobes as well. Mentions that it should be used with SF,SG and SH API class oils. But we're up to SM and SN now which are fine for roller tappet engines but bad news for us neanderthal flat tappet types.

And no, I don't think the Canadiens had a body guard for Rocket Richard. He hardly needed one. Maybe up against Gordie Howe.

Just doing my... quarterly?... forum check and it looks like things are really coming together, slowly but surely... You made a good call getting your knee checked out, I was always one of those push through the pain guys
To be honest, I still haven't gone to get checked out.........I'm stubborn and stupid like that.
Nick I'm just doing my semi-annual check. Glad to see you are sticking to it. Nice job BTW.
Thanks Fred, Maybe I'll have it a Moparfest 2015.
Glad to hear you're going to get that rad sorted out. As for the Princess Auto wire wheels, make sure you're wearing damn good googles, and keep that pretty lady of yours well away when you're using them. Those suckers shed shrapnel like crazy. The Royal Purple will do the job, but it's a really costly way to get it done. Living in Whitby, you probably can't turn around without seeing a GM dealer. Go in to the parts counter and ask for 992869 Engine Oil Supplement. The stuff is less than $7/bottle and it works really well. It's a 500ml bottle, and one bottle does me for 5 oil changes.
I know they shred, I generally work alone and they do their job good enough to warrant their cost. When it comes to my oil, I'm not worried about cost, I'm worried about effectiveness, however I will buy that supplement from now on. Anyway, we got a fair bit done, we also believe my car had a sway bar at some point. We are going to finish the motor this weekend.

GEDC0324.jpg

GEDC0309.jpg

GEDC0317.jpg

GEDC0316.jpg

To be honest, I still haven't gone to get checked out.........I'm stubborn and stupid like that. Thanks Fred, Maybe I'll have it a Moparfest 2015. I know they shred, I generally work alone and they do their job good enough to warrant their cost. When it comes to my oil, I'm not worried about cost, I'm worried about effectiveness, however I will buy that supplement from now on. Anyway, we got a fair bit done, we also believe my car had a sway bar at some point. We are going to finish the motor this weekend.

Anything with any V8 had a sway bar. You will NOT be impressed with how your car drives without one. The good news is, any Cbody sway bar will fit, and the bigger the car/engine combo, the bigger the bar will be. (Probably go up by 1/8" at a time, so bring a mic with you to measure what you find). And regardless of what bar you put in, use polyurethane bushings with it. Unlike control arm bushings, they're not going to squeak and carry on and the improvement they make to the job the bar does will very much be worth the $$ you spend on them.

Don't.run without a bar new radial tires even cheap ones will quickly show how bad it is without the bar. The urethane bushings are a must on the bar and end links.

I'm gonna try and get the bar from a '68 Fury 318 car, It'll be free and do for now.

I only use Urethane bushings, I do front end work frequently and know the advantages and disadvantages, advantages outweigh the few disadvantages.

Nice NICE cleanup of the stub frame.

I try, it's getting a coat of paint soon.........literally a matter of hours.

Anyway, Leaving shortly to go up, I figured out I have 4 weekends left this year, no matter how much I beg, plea, kick and scream thats how it is, so I'm stuck really.

I'll spend the winter doing some small stuff for the car. I can at least hunt parts and buy everything I need to attack the car in the spring, I'm actually now not sure about the cam I chose, I think I may have gone too aggressive.

I'm starting to second guess some of my choices.

:BangHead:

Not much to report fella's. I got my back looked at and they've got me taking the worst tasting pill I've ever had the displeasure of taking, with a side affect of eating holes in my stomach and well............my girls favorite thing for me to do................flatulence........

So I've tinkered. Got my intake back from being blasted. Pulled the rivets and cover to clean it out. Gave the bottom side a coat of paint to seal the cast. Girlfriends dad helped me get the rivets out, he also taught me how to fix the broken off bracket for the rad, and we managed to get the plugs out.

I cleaned a few things up and such. Removed a bracket someone welded on after breaking off a bolt.

10675728_10204547414342766_8452559801540385268_n.jpgGEDC0327.jpgGEDC0328.jpgGEDC0329.jpgGEDC0330.jpgGEDC0331.jpgGEDC0332.jpg10659390_10204547414382767_8590591771223471116_n.jpg

Turns out some one has gasket matched and polished the intake.

Nick

10675728_10204547414342766_8452559801540385268_n.jpg

GEDC0327.jpg

GEDC0328.jpg

GEDC0329.jpg

GEDC0330.jpg

GEDC0331.jpg

GEDC0332.jpg

10659390_10204547414382767_8590591771223471116_n.jpg

In other words,you've been farting around.

Posted via Topify on Android
Everyone's a comedian.............Don't make me hide your arthritis meds ;)

Ahhh I'm guessing Methocarbinol. Tastes like old rubber bands, right?

I don't know it's called Arthrotec..........girlfriends mom has had it before and she agree's that it's not for those with a weak stomach. That is why I'm taking another pill that lines my stomach to protect it from the first pill :yuk:I'm 95% sure that the old sway bar bushings would taste better........

Anyway 46 Years ago today my Angel was built...........Today some more of my payche.......I mean parts for the car appeared.

NickGEDC0336.jpg

GEDC0336.jpg

"I'm gonna try and get the bar from a '68 Fury 318 car, It'll be free and do for now."

Learned from experience that two steps up on the torsion bars does wonders for the handling of a car, and I believe the same will apply to the front sway bar as well. So if you can find yourself a bar from a 383 or 440 car, I highly recommend swapping that in. You will be pleasantly impressed at the results.

Back