For Sale 70 Monaco 500 FK5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ignores his reality. He is a forward look guy, and not a fuselage guy. And he does what his customers pay him to do, not what he would necessarily like to do.

Would you go out of your way to save a 1957 Dodge Coronet that you had bought when in his position, and take an even heavier loss by putting it all back together, or would you buy the Polara of your dreams when it made its unexpected appearance at the precisely wrong time and cut your losses otherwise? I think we all know the answer car guy.

I am not so full of myself that I can't see another person's perspective. Its too limiting. The stuff we all here like a lot is viewed by the general population as "old mens' cars" and think we are daffy - and couldn't care less if they were all crushed - but it doesn't matter to me. Its my life and I can see why they think I am nuts too. I just don't care what they think. These are just old cars in reality, not something that really matters, and you won't be able to take them with you when you are gone.
It seems he did it very light-heartedly, got a car he really wanted (I get that 100%) and gave up on the Monaco. He could have slapped some parts back on to make it more attractive, would've taken a day. He presented a mess and wanted money for a complete car, one that's put together, not in boxes.

I don't think $3500 was out of line, but any potential buyer would have to LOVE the car, not just like it. A friend did this puzzle putting together with his '69 Super Bee,took him a year and a half, two years, and he has a sweet car that he couldn't afford otherwise. But he had always wanted a '69 Bee, so he did what he had to to get it. There's only so many of us C Body goofballs willing to tackle that big a project halfway across the country.

And no, they don't go with you when you die, that's why I want to finish my fleet and drive them as much as I can. I have a car that's going to make it to Carlisle someday.

You nailed the real problem here - no one really liked the car that much, or they would have gone for it (and I am not even that keen on my FK5 because I am not a big fan of that color - but I do think it is a cool car with a lot of visual features that make it really attractive nonetheless). He made the deal as sweet as he felt he could, and no one sprung for it. If it had been a black 71 300, I sure wouldn't have let it go if I didn't already have one. So he will likely recoup his money on the parts alone. Besides me, there are some guys I know that actually like 70 Monacos that would like a lot of those parts too. I don't like the outcome, but he did what he felt he could reasonably do, and no one jumped. He waited some 5 weeks reaching out to primarily the faithful, and the result was this. Like I also said, were this a real GT, it would not have met this fate, I believe.

Alternatively, if this Monaco at issue had been this color to begin with, and which is also well loaded with options (and not the dreaded Auto Temp 1 system), I believe it would have had a much better chance of being snapped up. The example below was owned by Tim on this site until recently, when it was sold to a new owner here in the good old USA:

Fullscreen-capture-10202012-23355-PM.bmp.jpg

Just pure class................................

Last edited:
That ignores his reality. He is a forward look guy, and not a fuselage guy. And he does what his customers pay him to do, not what he would necessarily like to do.

Would you go out of your way to save a 1957 Dodge Coronet that you had bought when in his position, and take an even heavier loss by putting it all back together, or would you buy the Polara of your dreams when it made its unexpected appearance at the precisely wrong time and cut your losses otherwise? I think we all know the answer car guy.

I am not so full of myself that I can't see another person's perspective. Its too limiting. The stuff we all here like a lot is viewed by the general population as "old mens' cars" and think we are daffy - and couldn't care less if they were all crushed - but it doesn't matter to me. Its my life and I can see why they think I am nuts too. I just don't care what they think. These are just old cars in reality, not something that really matters, and you won't be able to take them with you when you are gone.

I give up......... I really don't care. He's the non car guy parting rare cars. I do what I can to save them ...

Next

You nailed the real problem here - no one really liked the car that much, or they would have gone for it (and I am not even that keen on my FK5 because I am not a big fan of that color - but I do think it is a cool car with a lot of visual features that make it really attractive nonetheless). He made the deal as sweet as he felt he could, and no one sprung for it. If it had been a black 71 300, I sure wouldn't have let it go if I didn't already have one. So he will likely recoup his money on the parts alone. Besides me, there are some guys I know that actually like 70 Monacos that would like a lot of those parts too. I don't like the outcome, but he did what he felt he could reasonably do, and no one jumped. He waited some 5 weeks reaching out to primarily the faithful, and the result was this. Like I also said, were this a real GT, it would not have met this fate, I believe.

Alternatively, if this Monaco at issue had been this color to begin with, and which is also well loaded with options (and not the dreaded Auto Temp 1 system), I believe it would have had a much better chance of being snapped up. The example below was owned by Tim on this site until recently, when it was sold to a new owner here in the good old USA:

View attachment 234646

Facebook is not the faithful. It is the exact opposite of faithful.

I made a 1800 offer without the NOS stuff

Facebook is not the faithful.
I get pissed most times I chase a car off FB, and the quality of the cars I find, is lower than my standards will allow for the money they ask. They all seem to think everything is worth it's weight in gold.

View attachment 234646

I passed on that car when it was in Michigan before the restorer bought it. She sat in a garage for 17 years with out seeing the outside. . . The right guy bought it twice...

Sure for 3500. Then shipping costs ...

I eat shipping costs like candy. Just shipped a 2013 T&C from Florida. Someone has to keep Bangladeshi refugees unfamilar with mechanized transportation in decent paying jobs!

There was a bunch of parts from this car listed up on Facebook this morning. I would say its safe to say that it is in fact being parted out. That really is a shame. Cool car that almost made it to its 50th Birthday but crossed paths with the wrong owner.

Dave

Maybe a lesson to take away from this tragedy is this;

If you are not sure if you can start and then finish a restoration/project, it's better to leave the car alone, don't start the disassembly process. Its better for you as a seller, and the car its self.

Disassembled and abandoned restoration projects are financial losers.

That is a truism,just like many bad owners of cars who refuse to start or sell the car for decades.The car rots itself from the inside when it isn,t run.B.B

This should end this discussion. It's gone

View attachment 235963
There must be a special room for this in hell... if I ever get the chance, I'll stop by and kick him in the nuts one more time for this...

I do kinda understand the problem, but this car could have been handled way better to save/preserve her... rough it back together so it could be shipped would have helped a bunch.

Again, I offered 1800 here without the NOS stuff, but since he didn't shop for a buyer he didn't see it. So let me twist this the way he did, he didn't step up to look for a buyer.
This discussion will be brought up for the next several decades as the A hole that parted a 440 rust free monaco because he got in over his head.

Again, I offered 1800 here without the NOS stuff, but since he didn't shop for a buyer he didn't see it. So let me twist this the way he did, he didn't step up to look for a buyer.
This discussion will be brought up for the next several decades as the A hole that parted a 440 rust free monaco because he got in over his head.

But nobody stepped up to the plate.

When I talked with him he claimed one of the factors that made him decide to divest himself of this car was that it had significant rust and other body damage/poor repairs that were not that obvious until he took it all apart. When he calculated the potential for making any profit, he decided to go the way he did. Since he had little interest from anyone in the car even at a good price, after multiple weeks for sale to targeted sites/people, he considered it a loser to go further with. He didn't have the time to try to find more buyers he claimed.

I bought some of the NOS parts for myself and for a good friend of mine also with a very nice 70 Monaco, so they will go to some good use. I was unable to see the shell of the car since it was at a friend's house being temporarily stored in the back yard, and that couldn't go on for long either he said.

I also saw his working conditions at his shop and they were miserable. He had two bays, and there were some 5 other shops in this single building complex, and most of them were also car related, mostly mechanical. There was no room for parking, even for the proprieters of the shops (this series of shops was on a very small parcel of land behind a Circle K convenience shop). The cars he was working on in his two bays were behind schedule and they were very disassembled when I was there.

The Monaco NOS parts and take-off parts were in a small garage in a large central storage unit complex about 4 miles away, that he was renting for $500/month, which seems very high for so little space.

It seems most body/paint guys can't get more than $50/hour these days, and their work is hard and tedious, and then they have difficulty staying in business at all or have to work in poor conditions. That is why so many have gotten out of the business/closed down. And the really good body/paint guys either have too many customers wanting their work or too many that don't pay past the down payment when it comes time to go further. Hence they are hard to find anymore unless you have the big bucks and are willing to wait your turn in line. And this fellow, Lee, is one of the few around Southern California that even knows something about Mopars anymore.

Just some background to close this out and provide perspective for those who need to trash the guy further. Stan is correct is my bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back