71' plymouth fury 440, what rear gear?

3.23s would make for good hyway car....personaly would go 3.73 for all around preformance

I'm curious what you think of that specific cam. I went with a purple shaft and Mopar did not machine the threads that hold the cam sprocket on, so I just sent it back. I think I'm going the roller route with the Lunati as well, just have not settled on the grind. 3.23 is the gear set to pick. Your car should be running 15" tires also. You will probably need a higher stall convertor, but not to high. Around 1800 looks like what I need fwiw, if I'm being realistic.

Just my 2 cents... I'm building a 383 with a 3.55 SG for my 65 and called Jim Dowell and Racer Brown. Gave him all my specs on my car... Ground me a nice cam for my goals. I'd strongly suggest at least calling him and getting his thoughts. He's a great guy who knows his stuff..esp about Mopar.

My cam 214@50 (262 adv) 450" \450" on a 110 lsa single pattern hyd. He grinds càms for Jim Kramer also

Last edited:
3.23s would make for good hyway car....personaly would go 3.73 for all around preformance

I had one in a 69 Fury, that car pulled incredibly hard but it lost its top end. Your engine will working a lot harder rolling at cruising speeds.

Great gear, phone pole to phone pole

I think 3.23s are the answer. If i am ever able to obtain a gear vendors overdrive, I'll put a lower gear set in her.
Thanks fellas

I liked the 3.55s in mine but I tend to like to "sprint" around town more. It would still bury the needle past 125 and maintain that as needed.
If your new 440 can't spin the tires - it needs to be properly tuned. It should have no trouble spinning one or both from a dead stop.

Let me rephrase then... being a East coast police 440.

The 71 CHP 440 cars I have seen over the last 20 years were all sure grip equipped. But you would know better I guess

let me rephrase then... Being a east coast police 440.

The 71 chp 440 cars i have seen over the last 20 years were all sure grip equipped. But you would know better i guess
dont you just jack up the rear and spin a wheel and if the opposite wheel turns in the same direction it is a sure grip? If it turns the opposite way it is not.

Let me rephrase then... being a East coast police 440.

The 71 CHP 440 cars I have seen over the last 20 years were all sure grip equipped. But you would know better I guess

To the best of my knowledge and research CHP cars never had Sure Grip, not to say an area office or later owner didn't swap it out.

Some of these car were purchased from the CHP by other agencies and there is no idea what they may have done.

I have only been at this about 6 years so my CHP knowledge is limited.

Alan

My T code 71 Polara wont spin the wheels either but it sure does pull hard .

I imagine the engine in there is a bit worn also and perhaps not 100 percent in tune?

Dave,

do you have a sure grip in your Polara from the factory?

Carsten

Yes, the 71 440 is a sure grip, the 383-2 70 is a sure grip and the 1970 383-4 is not.....

Digging around and found this really old thread. Turns out my car was an open 3.23 rear. Now a 3.23 w/ dr diff suregrip. And instead of changing the rear ratio, i replaced the front planetary and sungear in the torqueflite for 2.77 1st gear. Essentially like swapping to a 3.6:1 ratio in the rear in 1st gear. Haven't ran it yet but i expect it to be a good setup.

Digging around and found this really old thread. Turns out my car was an open 3.23 rear. Now a 3.23 w/ dr diff suregrip. And instead of changing the rear ratio, i replaced the front planetary and sungear in the torqueflite for 2.77 1st gear. Essentially like swapping to a 3.6:1 ratio in the rear in 1st gear. Haven't ran it yet but i expect it to be a good setup.
Great to see an update! Do you have photos of the car?

Back