Brake light stop switch location- Please Help.

Captainfury

Reaction score
My 72 Fury is undergoing a minor restoration so I can drive her on the road again which will be so so exciting. I took the bumper bar off, cleaned everything up, did a new paint job, reworked lights, fixed bulb holders etc etc.
Al that’s left is to put the brake light stop switch back in. Many have commented on the difficulty of this and I see what they mean. The FSM has some useful pictures but doesn’t actually show precise holes to use. I know it goes between the two outer steel plates, but bolting into a hole and having the adjustment lug fit into a groove is where I’m stuck. I have included photos, and if anybody is familiar with this I would be forever grateful for knowledge about which holes are appropriate.
I’m using the original NOS Chrysler switch as I can see that it originally went up agains the bracket from the mild corrosion present. That allows the speed control to be used when I overhaul the speed control unit down the track. Any feedback is so very much appreciated.
IMG_2232.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg

It goes in these two slots. The bolt goes in the top one and the tab goes in the other. I can try to get a picture of it install.

IMG_0976.jpeg

Thanks Monc440.
So the bolt doesn’t go into a circular hole, but rather an elongated slot??
Strange, but if that’s the case, and I trust what you say, I’ll give it a go. Your help and knowledge is so valuable. Really makes me happy knowing that I can try it once the sun comes up/ it’s pitch black in Sydney as I write this.
I’m also restoring a 1971 New Yorker with the good old 440 RB motor. It runs, and has been on a hoist at the local mechanics shop for last 5 months. So far I’ve put a new radiator, carby, shocks, tank, calipers and pads, drum brakes and tyres on it. But there’s plenty more to do.
72203556606__0160621E-067F-4D4E-84DD-42F3F4F15D01.jpeg
72203550717__F307D8BB-957E-4127-AB18-FB3105D6AB66.jpeg
72203556606__0160621E-067F-4D4E-84DD-42F3F4F15D01.jpeg
72203550717__F307D8BB-957E-4127-AB18-FB3105D6AB66.jpeg
01F6EBA3-.jpeg
72203564648__DF813E5D-E7C6-4AEE-A097-7EC33E5FF779.jpeg
72203564648__DF813E5D-E7C6-4AEE-A097-7EC33E5FF779.jpeg
72203582988__768AECA6-D46E-4BA4-90FC-C65E06CD6293.jpeg

Sorry I don't have a better picture.

View attachment 676247
View attachment 676248

Alan
Thanks Alan
You are so kind and helpful.
Once I’ve completed some Olympic acrobatics this morning by wriggling under and into the footwell to gain access to install the switch, and then extracating myself from the awkward position, I will be so pleased.
The restored bumper bar will be able to go back onto the Fury 400 hardtop and then it’s time for the inspection so she can get registered annd impress people on the road. After 2 years of working on her it will be absolutely sensational.

Found another.
This has the HD switch but it mounts the same.
Both of these are 69s, should be the same.
View attachment 676249

Alan
Also Alan, obviously you have taken the entire brake holding bracket/housing out of the vehicle. Are the advantages of placing the stop light switch much greater this way than trying to mount the switch with the brake housing/assembly left in the car?
Because I’m sure you know that inserting the switch with the entire brake housing in the footwell is a feat requiring 4 hands and superhuman patience !!!

Here is a picture of mine in the car. Sorry the bolt is in the lower slot and the tab is in the upper slot. The bolt is circled in red and the tab in blue. Hope this helps. My switch is aftermarket so it looks different.

IMG_0982.jpeg

Alan, my friend, you have made a very happy and grateful person in the “ C body” Mopar community. At one point a fewd I was on the verge of cutting off the damn tab.
You’re a legend mate and I will always remember your help. W
If you ever come to Sydney, send me a txt and I’ll buy you lunch or dinner and we can enjoy a few beers!!

The only reason the assembly was out of the car is that the car was a total teardown.
Makes sense. For a moment I thought of removing the entire assembly. However after looking at what was going to be required and the corresponding access difficulties, it quickly went into the “no thank you” drawer.

Hello again Alan, or other members with information on this subject.
I have spent hours doing gymnastics with my hands to get the bracket installed.
Additionally I have an original NOS brake light stop switch and another one that seems to be used quite often, as per photos.
My main query is how does the original Mopar switch stay in place?
One end has the spring plunger against the brake pedal plunger, and if then seems to just go through the hole in the mounting plate, but it’s not a tight fit. What stops the stop light/speed control switch from simply falling down? Somebody will have done this before I should think.obviously the first pic is an original switch( is it missing anything?). The 2nd pic is the common stop switch many owners use, but has no ability to connect to the constant speed wires.
IMG_2243.jpeg
IMG_2244.jpeg

Back