cant find brake parts

Tfin

Reaction score
I'm looking for brake parts for the 1966 fury 3. The front drums are 11" with it looks like 2 1/4 shoes. The rears are 11" with 2" shoes, I found shoes for the rear but know drums. I don't know if I can use drums that use 2 1/2 shoes? I can not find and parts for the front. Can I change them all to 2 1/2 shoes and drums? Thanks

Look in RockAuto. Their drum listings usually have some illustrations in the "Info" icon section. 11" drums were all these cars came with, except the optional power front disc/rr drum system. The fronts usually start at 11x2.5, then 11x2.75, and then 11x3 shoes. Drums need to match, pretty much, but make sure how wide the shoes are first. Then look at the drums for that size shoes in the RockAuto illustrations. Front shoes should be wider than the rear shoes.

The max size spec for the drums is stamped on the outside surface. If they are close, get NEW drums, period. Finned is best.

CBODY67

Thanks, I have looked at rock auto. I just did know it I could change to bigger shoes and drums

check to make sure your wheel cylinders will work as well , new shoes and drums may need to relocate the centers of the wheel cylinders as well .

Last edited:
Thanks, I have looked at rock auto. I just did know it I could change to bigger shoes and drums

Backing plates and mounting hardware could be an issue going to the larger brake drums. Might want to check on this before you order parts. Front spindles and rear axles are going to be the same, but if memory serves me correctly, they used different backing plates on the larger drums.

Dave

That’s right for different width shoes the correct backing plate must be used. The backing plate keeps the brake shoe in the proper location in relationship to the wheel cylinder and the drum. You can’t put 3” wide shoes on a backing plate designed for 2 1/2” shoes or vice versa. To think of it the front hubs may even be different. I was going to try and use hubs from a Newport on my New Yorker. They were not the same. The Newport had 2 3/4” wide front brakes the New Yorker 3” wide front brakes. Probably the best way to get the correct brake shoes is to measure the drum width where the shoe would make contact. You could also look for a part number cast into the drum and do a search on that.

Last edited:
According to the 1966 Factory Plymouth Service Manual shows the Fury having 11x2-3/4 front and 11x2 in the rear.

Alan

I'm looking for brake parts for the 1966 fury 3. The front drums are 11" with it looks like 2 1/4 shoes. The rears are 11" with 2" shoes, I found shoes for the rear but know drums. I don't know if I can use drums that use 2 1/2 shoes? I can not find and parts for the front. Can I change them all to 2 1/2 shoes and drums? Thanks
www.carid.com still shows all of the brake options in stock for 66 Fury 3.

Dave

Back