CATL 2024: C-bodies At The Lake on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 ("hub-and-spoke" to the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN)

Lodging: a quick look shows that lodging around South Bend to be between 2-600 (!?)
Have no idea why other than it is a Holiday (Labor Day) weekend. Have not checked anywhere else.
Notre Dame is playing in town that weekend, which is (I think) why in my OP I recommended to book soon. The same is true of the rainy day.

I would have preferred weekend 2, rather than 1 or 3, of September for this reason — but I can’t due to work travel.

Before setting the date, I did a quick check and there were (hopefully still are) hotels outside of town with better prices.

Good Afternoon
Just got off the phone with the Hampton Inn & Suites in Michigan City (approx 33 miles from South Bend.
They have approx a dozen room available for 7-8 Sept.
Rates are a little south of $200 (depending on taste). I'm sure that taxes are NOT included.
Hope this helps.
I have already reserved.
Phone # to the Hotel (not some booking outfit) is 216-814-4164

Omni

Good Afternoon
Just got off the phone with the Hampton Inn & Suites in Michigan City (approx 33 miles from South Bend.
They have approx a dozen room available for 7-8 Sept.
Rates are a little south of $200 (depending on taste). I'm sure that taxes are NOT included.
Hope this helps.
I have already reserved.
Phone # to the Hotel (not some booking outfit) is 216-814-4164

Omni
Thank you for the info! FWIW, as part of the Hilton chain of hotels, the Hampton Inn offers a (small) AAA discount.

It's a home football weekend at Notre Dame, so lodging in South Bend will be at a premium

@DocGonzo -- might you be interested in joining the 2024 CATL and bring your gorgeous 1969 T&C from Columbus through Fort Wayne? @Omni

We are now 2 weeks away from the CATL drive, so it is time to finalize the specifics. I will be in touch later today with folks who have indicated their willingness to lead from various places (IL, IN, MI, OH), and then post the times along the various routes.

Meeting time for everyone: 1PM at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN.

Cheers!

I'm late in responding, but sorry, won't be able to attend..next year after I retire, I'm doing as many of these as I can!!

Just to verify, since we have folks in 2 time zones, that is 1 pm Eastern Daylight Time, correct?
Indeed, and thank you for alerting folks to the dual time zones: Meeting at 1PM Eastern / noon Central at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN.

Well, folks, we are only ten days away from the CATL, so it is time to post some more logistical details. There have been a few changes, here goes:

1. Illinois spoke: the starting point has moved from Rockford to the NW suburbs of Chicago, as @71Polara383 will not be able to join this year. The good news is that @sixpkrt plans to drive to South Bend, possibly with @St.John -- meeting points/times along the way could be posted by this coming Sunday.

2. Ohio spoke: the Columbus/Fort Wayne leg is out, as the two members who had hoped to join unfortunately cannot do so. As a result, the Toledo leg has been rerouted. @Omni will leave from just west of Toledo, OH and drive north on RT-127 to meet with Michigan folks at their starting point -- see item 3 below.

3. Michigan spoke: the meeting spot/starting point is the Citgo station in Cement City (SE corner of RT-127 and RT-12). @MONC440 and several other members will depart from Citgo at 10AM, heading west on RT-12 to Sturgis, MI. They should arrive at the Sunoco station there (704 W Chicago Rd, Sturgis, MI 49091) at 11:15AM and will leave (with anyone else who wants to join them there) at 11:45, heading for the Studebaker Museum.

4. Indiana spoke: @david hill and I will leave the McDonald's on RT-267 (just south of the BP gas station) in Brownsburg at 8:30AM. We will head north to Lebanon on IN-267 (plus a few miles on I-65), hoping to meet up with @RWCearley in Lebanon. From there, we will head east to Carmel, where we will meet up with @fury fan at Rivet Coffee. We will then head straight north on IN-31 to the Museum.

It is of course not too late to join! Paging:

Illinois: @Xenon @BLIMP @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Sport Fury 67 @Asleep at the Meal @furyusvip @B to C @70 Droptop @blue88 @haywire 440 @chilsam @moparblake @Shamu70 @Clutch Carnage @SGVert @Davews @The_Eagles’_Nest @Sport Fury 67 @B to C @tallhair @John Kelly @volaredon @AJC

(and also IL members who have not recently been active, such as @swartzed @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats @Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @Grizzly's Garage @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm @plum360415 @The Captain @arkmorris @badvs3vil @Casey @gregory cotten @Georges77 @300Hconvert @Ram50V8 @BobbyJ67 @william @Steven E Hiatt @Skins69 @sgtmac1 etc.)

Indiana: @traintech55 @Stoney 65 Fury @SportFury @j_anderson @jct @Steven Jones @familee @Rexer @atticusfinch95 etc.

(and also IN members who have not recently been active, such as @streetmachine @ksc @74newport @Jeremy Hunter @John Boy 434j @bigandtall @Patinad70Polara @Superlite1969 @Tizz78 @Penske3 @73Gold @74newport @Jeffrey Cowell @jlcowell etc.)

Michigan: @amazinblue82 @DetroitBorn @Carmine @69PolaraSW @65 Sporty @customsportsman @Blusmbl @66l78rat @72DL41 @Moparmania @moparwagon @D Cluley @michiganhotrod1 @garyh @Clover

(and also MI members who have not recently been active, such as @tntnewport @frankthetank81 @Mikahthegreek etc.)

Ohio: @imperialguy7175 @67newport @Dana (and @JJ300 @Zymurgy even though they sadly cannot make it this year)

(and also OH members who have not recently been active, such as @MAGNUM77 @dude69300 @Stormer etc.)

Missouri: @Stanj @Imperialist @cruisinwithsusan @marty koirtyohann @Mingo @Grannys67 @Slap Stick etc.

Wisconsin: @70 Sport Suburban @JPMODL @Don Stolfi @Owen11x @69Polara383 @glennb49 @GOLDMYN @Pete Kaczmarski @loveshack etc.

Unfortunately I'm out. I have my kids that weekend and have some appointments I have to take them to. Sorry all.

Can I suggest we wear stickers with our screen name on them? (before we go into the museum, anyway)
Then once we're all together, can we do a solid round of introductions?
I know there will be at least one person there who doesn't know everybody...

We need a frowny face icon for statements like that.
I'm sure you love your kids and all, but we love you too.
Lol. I appreciate the sentiment. I also still have the charger out here so I would have been a B body in the crowd again.

@ayilar
My CTRL-F says @detmatt has not been pinged in this. Anywhere?
He would be a good addition to the trip if he's available.
Especially if he doesn't mind being beckoned from afar.
Thanks but I’m out. It will be fun to join in on this in the future but it’s just not in the cards this year.

Back