Convertible Fury - 1970

Thanks. I left that pin out and one other and it works fine now. Thanks for your help.

I was finally able to remove the homemade tow bar. The thing is huge. I wondered how they managed to attach bolts to nuts that were inside the frame rails until I pulled a wire out that had a nut welded to it. This car spent some time on a farm and it shows.
2016-08-29 20.28.59.jpg
2016-08-29 20.29.10.jpg

I was finally able to remove the homemade tow bar. The thing is huge. I wondered how they managed to attach bolts to nuts that were inside the frame rails until I pulled a wire out that had a nut welded to it. This car spent some time on a farm and it shows.
View attachment 90708 View attachment 90709
I've seen similar things done by pros to mount trailer hitches. Usually they break the wire off.

I'm glad they left it on because it allowed me to remove it. On the other side, I have a nut loose in the frame rail that I need to figure out how to retrieve.

I didn't know about those. I guess there is a tool for every job.

Is this the correct license plate holder for a 1970 Fury (not including the hitch)? Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like behind the plate holder?

Also, I would like to remove the center part of my steering wheel so I can clean behind it, as suggested earlier by someone on this thread. I can't find in the manual how to remove it. How do you do it?
2016-07-28 20.50.46.jpg

I didn't know about those. I guess there is a tool for every job.

Is this the correct license plate holder for a 1970 Fury (not including the hitch)? Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like behind the plate holder?

Also, I would like to remove the center part of my steering wheel so I can clean behind it, as suggested earlier by someone on this thread. I can't find in the manual how to remove it. How do you do it?
View attachment 90804
Hey Jeff, I will take a pic today for you that shows what you want to see regarding the number plate holder. Also the steering wheel comes off with a wheel puller, you can buy them at Harbor Freight for like 14 bucks. there are two holes the bolts go in. Once you have the horn button and assy off you will see them.

Thanks Wollfen. What about the horn button itself? I don't see any fasteners. Does it just pry off?

Hey Jeff, I have attached some pics for you, also, the horn pad on your steering wheel has mount screws behind the triangular part in the center, it clicks in place and can be pried out carefully. It should be easy to see what to do after that.

licence plate.jpg
licence plate1.jpg

Thank you. Mine has two brackets going from behind that sheet metal to the rear wall of the trunk. The license plate hanger bolts go through both the sheet metal and the brackets. I was trying to figure out if the brackets are original or part of the jury-rigged hitch.

Here is a picture of mine. Are the brackets add-ons?
20160831_212256.jpg

Thanks Wollfen, I might do that when I get further along.

Is it true that only four bolts hold the front seat in? That's what it looks like when I crawl around looking at it. I'm thinking about taking it out this weekend, but I don't want to open too big a can of worms.

I found a video of the top retracting on a 1967 Fury. Is the mechanism basically the same on mine? I ask because mine is up and not functioning and I want to lower it manually. In the video it looks like the entire top cantilevers up until nearly vertical and then it accordions up. Thus, you wouldn't start by lifting directly at the front.

Have you determined what is wrong with it? I am not sure, but I think you would have to disconnect the frame from the motor. And I bet it would get heavy as it went down. Might be better off to fix it

I agree it would be preferable to fix it, but I don't know what is wrong with it and it looks like I would have to tear into the dash to diagnose it (to get to the switch). For now, I just want it out of the way. I figured I would have to disconnect the hydraulic pistons but not the motor, but I don't really know. For now, I want to determine how it folds up and whether 1970 is the same as the 1967 video.

You are right about the cylinders. I bet it's the same as the 67. I would recommend two people and keep the finger retractor on full power

Back