Critique these brake shoe linings...

Grannys67

Reaction score
On a scale of "they're fine, no big deal" ----to---- "holy crap what the hell" how bad are these, with a crack running down the middle of each lining..
20241021_130315.jpg
20241021_130324.jpg
20241021_130329.jpg

Those are factory style linings. The cracking is the result of overheating. It would be best to replace them. Check the wheel cylinders to be sure that they are free and not leaking.

Dave

Yeah, a new set is definitely in the plans, Getting ready to order, any particular recommendations on brand? Or just go with my gut

Wheel cylinders & hoses have been replaced already, appear to be working/not leaking

Match the width of what you have.

Might aim for a "HD" or "Police" lining, if possible. Raybestos or similar OEM replacement brand. Chk Rock Auto for pricing, in general.

As for the cracks, the shoes on our '66 Newport had cracks in them, though not quite as intense as the pictured ones are. Being the frictions are bonded to the shoes, might never cause any problems with flaking off or similar. Looks like lots of good lining, though. They could last a good while longer as is, from what I've seen over the years. BUT they are not expensive. Your call.

CBODY67

Toast--- put butter or jelly on them.....
Are they Fronts or Rears ???

If they are Fronts --- which should be 11 " x 3 " --- I have *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** for the softest , smooooooothest braking system known to mankind.....
P.M. me , as per forum rules , if interested....
Not advised to use that Chineseum garbage, which will rip up your Brake Drums to smithereens.......
Craig.....

The strange thing is, when I had drums, i feel like linings looked like that all the time in a short period of installing new ones. Even with new drums.

I remember running bonded linings like that for thousands of miles in the 70s. Never had one fail. They stopped fine.
It was always a mystery to me why they didn't peel right on off of there.

If those were on my car, I'd just put the drum back on, run it for another year, and take another look then. Naturally, if you feel something off in the mean time, pull and look then, but, I've run cracked linings before and never had one fail on a bonded shoe. Riveted ones are a different story. There again, if you're worried about them, they're fairly inexpensive if you need the extra peace of mind. There again, I probably would have converted to disc brakes years ago! :lol:

And if you replace the linings, where are you going to get the drums turned? Or new drums that are round right out of the box? They maybe round when they are shipped, probably are, but they ain't round after they get bumped on the edges during shipping.
If they aren't pulsing, I would run them.

While I might be tempted to use the cracked linings on some old beater, I thought I would look at what New York State says for their required annual inspection. They are supposed to pull at least one wheel to check the brakes. Some places, like muffler shops or dealers, will pull every wheel and try to sell you a brake job even if it's not needed but I digress.

The item to inspect is on the left and failure reasons on the right. This is straight off the NYS government website. https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/cr79.pdf

NYS brake inspec.jpg

So, if this was my car, the linings would get changed before they got caught in an annual inspection. Kind of a PITA, but seeing what some people drive, an annual inspection does force some things to happen.

But, do I really think it hurts anything? I don't know... Probably not, but having seen bonded linings come off the shoes, and the fact that they are brakes and shouldn't be compromised, I'd come down on the conservative side and replace them. The rear brakes on my 300L were cracked and I didn't think much about them, I just changed them so no worries.

And here's a guy making new brakes. These will be brought across the border through Mexico in the back packs of some "undocumented immigrants" and then through a system of dealers and finally sold as NOS on eBay.

The strange thing is, when I had drums, i feel like linings looked like that all the time in a short period of installing new ones. Even with new drums.
I have had drums on many of my cars over the years and never had any look like that. Maybe they were adjusted too tight and overheating.

While I might be tempted to use the cracked linings on some old beater, I thought I would look at what New York State says for their required annual inspection. They are supposed to pull at least one wheel to check the brakes. Some places, like muffler shops or dealers, will pull every wheel and try to sell you a brake job even if it's not needed but I digress.

The item to inspect is on the left and failure reasons on the right. This is straight off the NYS government website. https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/cr79.pdf

View attachment 688895

So, if this was my car, the linings would get changed before they got caught in an annual inspection. Kind of a PITA, but seeing what some people drive, an annual inspection does force some things to happen.

But, do I really think it hurts anything? I don't know... Probably not, but having seen bonded linings come off the shoes, and the fact that they are brakes and shouldn't be compromised, I'd come down on the conservative side and replace them. The rear brakes on my 300L were cracked and I didn't think much about them, I just changed them so no worries.

And here's a guy making new brakes. These will be brought across the border through Mexico in the back packs of some "undocumented immigrants" and then through a system of dealers and finally sold as NOS on eBay.

Now if only the China shoes were rebuilt with such loving care.
Actually, that jokes not so funny.

Nice Video although he could have Painted the metal ! Wonder if there's any Asbestos in the air ?

Back