Door Panel repair

As before, I placed the old panels over the new and traced it out with a pencil and cut it with a utility knife and tin snips. Sorry no pics. The new board came from here: COWLBOARD WATERPROOF OEM NATURAL 32X48 | Miami Corp

The last time, I cut the rectangular clip holes out by hand. This time, I bought a little router attachment for my Dremel tool and 3D printed a template for the router. Much easier!

m7M38Mh.jpg

N0IhNWv.jpg

OjHivEn.jpg

K0dmbUR.jpg

Last edited:
This time, I used a construction adhesive to join the steel top to the board. It was easier although took overnight to setup. A 273 head holds it down.

c7uuJnp.jpg

As before, a strip of aluminum roof tape was added over the joint on both sides.

This time, I fitted the clips on the bare panel. This saved a ton of time later. Once in place, I dabbed a little E-6000 glue on the clips, then ran a strip of aluminum tape over it. This will hold them in place, but still can be adjusted if needed and should make it a little stronger.

z4ClfhE.jpg

sHQQ6ly.jpg

K3HBmlj.jpg

R7Kv97i.jpg

Where the vinyl wrapped around the board was problematic. I had the same issue the last time... This time the vinyl was a little stiffer from age and not as much material to wrap.

After a bit of thinking, I used some vinyl repair cement on the wrap over. More aluminum tape was used to hold it in place until it dried... and then I just left it on there. This worked fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BC4UMC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

GFq9J3F.jpg

Once the vinyl was on, I needed to prepare to get the color right. The pearl white had yellowed and wore.

I scrubbed everything with a brush mounted to my polisher and some Meguiars all purpose cleaner. (I'm doing a seat here)

FdBDHtW.jpg

fkmWW2k.jpg

This was wiped down with SEM vinyl prep and then sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then sprayed with paint from Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint which is a lacquer with flex agent added. Not cheap!!!

First coat was a white base, followed by a pearl coat. Sorry, no pics during the painting.

I wasn't expecting the wrinkles!!!

xBlLFcJ.jpg

A day later and the wrinkles were gone. Whew!

wvKgv3r.png

All finished!

VARZDma.jpg

IzKJnmZ.jpg

Where the vinyl wrapped around the board was problematic. I had the same issue the last time... This time the vinyl was a little stiffer from age and not as much material to wrap.

After a bit of thinking, I used some vinyl repair cement on the wrap over. More aluminum tape was used to hold it in place until it dried... and then I just left it on there. This worked fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BC4UMC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

GFq9J3F.jpg

Once the vinyl was on, I needed to prepare to get the color right. The pearl white had yellowed and wore.

I scrubbed everything with a brush mounted to my polisher and some Meguiars all purpose cleaner. (I'm doing a seat here)

FdBDHtW.jpg

fkmWW2k.jpg

This was wiped down with SEM vinyl prep and then sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then sprayed with paint from Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint which is a lacquer with flex agent added. Not cheap!!!

First coat was a white base, followed by a pearl coat. Sorry, no pics during the painting.

xBlLFcJ.jpg

wvKgv3r.png

All finished!

VARZDma.jpg

IzKJnmZ.jpg

Amazing work, John! How did you re-attach your red door reflectors?

GFq9J3F.jpg

FdBDHtW.jpg

fkmWW2k.jpg

xBlLFcJ.jpg

wvKgv3r.png

All finished!

VARZDma.jpg

IzKJnmZ.jpg
Great job! I am grateful that I have a black interior as white appears to show variances more.

Back