Door Panel repair

As before, I placed the old panels over the new and traced it out with a pencil and cut it with a utility knife and tin snips. Sorry no pics. The new board came from here: COWLBOARD WATERPROOF OEM NATURAL 32X48 | Miami Corp

The last time, I cut the rectangular clip holes out by hand. This time, I bought a little router attachment for my Dremel tool and 3D printed a template for the router. Much easier!

m7M38Mh.jpg

N0IhNWv.jpg

OjHivEn.jpg

K0dmbUR.jpg

Last edited:
This time, I used a construction adhesive to join the steel top to the board. It was easier although took overnight to setup. A 273 head holds it down.

c7uuJnp.jpg

As before, a strip of aluminum roof tape was added over the joint on both sides.

This time, I fitted the clips on the bare panel. This saved a ton of time later. Once in place, I dabbed a little E-6000 glue on the clips, then ran a strip of aluminum tape over it. This will hold them in place, but still can be adjusted if needed and should make it a little stronger.

z4ClfhE.jpg

sHQQ6ly.jpg

K3HBmlj.jpg

R7Kv97i.jpg

Where the vinyl wrapped around the board was problematic. I had the same issue the last time... This time the vinyl was a little stiffer from age and not as much material to wrap.

After a bit of thinking, I used some vinyl repair cement on the wrap over. More aluminum tape was used to hold it in place until it dried... and then I just left it on there. This worked fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BC4UMC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

GFq9J3F.jpg

Once the vinyl was on, I needed to prepare to get the color right. The pearl white had yellowed and wore.

I scrubbed everything with a brush mounted to my polisher and some Meguiars all purpose cleaner. (I'm doing a seat here)

FdBDHtW.jpg

fkmWW2k.jpg

This was wiped down with SEM vinyl prep and then sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then sprayed with paint from Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint which is a lacquer with flex agent added. Not cheap!!!

First coat was a white base, followed by a pearl coat. Sorry, no pics during the painting.

I wasn't expecting the wrinkles!!!

xBlLFcJ.jpg

A day later and the wrinkles were gone. Whew!

wvKgv3r.png

All finished!

VARZDma.jpg

IzKJnmZ.jpg

Where the vinyl wrapped around the board was problematic. I had the same issue the last time... This time the vinyl was a little stiffer from age and not as much material to wrap.

After a bit of thinking, I used some vinyl repair cement on the wrap over. More aluminum tape was used to hold it in place until it dried... and then I just left it on there. This worked fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BC4UMC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

GFq9J3F.jpg

Once the vinyl was on, I needed to prepare to get the color right. The pearl white had yellowed and wore.

I scrubbed everything with a brush mounted to my polisher and some Meguiars all purpose cleaner. (I'm doing a seat here)

FdBDHtW.jpg

fkmWW2k.jpg

This was wiped down with SEM vinyl prep and then sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then sprayed with paint from Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint which is a lacquer with flex agent added. Not cheap!!!

First coat was a white base, followed by a pearl coat. Sorry, no pics during the painting.

xBlLFcJ.jpg

wvKgv3r.png

All finished!

VARZDma.jpg

IzKJnmZ.jpg

Amazing work, John! How did you re-attach your red door reflectors?

GFq9J3F.jpg

FdBDHtW.jpg

fkmWW2k.jpg

xBlLFcJ.jpg

wvKgv3r.png

All finished!

VARZDma.jpg

IzKJnmZ.jpg
Great job! I am grateful that I have a black interior as white appears to show variances more.

Looks good. How did you detach the vinyl from the metal top piece?

After 60 years, the adhesive is dried out and it comes apart pretty easily. You still have to be careful not to stretch it, but for the most part it peels right off.

After 60 years, the adhesive is dried out and it comes apart pretty easily. You still have to be careful not to stretch it, but for the most part it peels right off.
I had to remove the Masonite from the steel on my car too, and it is not difficult, but you must be patient and take your time.

I replaced the Masonite with abs plastic. You can see it on my project page - Elwood. A 68 Fury II 4 door sedan. Here (post #36):

Elwood - 1968 Fury II 4 door sedan

I had to remove the Masonite from the steel on my car too, and it is not difficult, but you must be patient and take your time.

I replaced the Masonite with abs plastic. You can see it on my project page - Elwood. A 68 Fury II 4 door sedan. Here (post #36):

Elwood - 1968 Fury II 4 door sedan
From reading that thread a while ago, I saw that you used construction adhesive to fasten the steel top to the board and did that myself. Thanks for that!

Back