Driveshaft hurdles!

take the one you have that you put the 727 yoke on that came out of yours and just cut 3" out of it. cut it right behind the welded place on the joint end. mesure up 3" and put a hose clamp there and then cut arond the clamp to have a straight cut then line the ujoints up push it in to make leaval and start wielding. fixed at least 10 and never had a vib. under 120 mph.

Last edited:
Ypsiew's a lil over an hr away. Not too bad but after a little research today I found 2 shops locally. I'm gonna give them a try. It still doesn't explain why there's a 57.75" driveshaft in car that requires a 54.13. Gotta love starting on someone else's puzzle! Thanks for the offer Jer. If I have to beat these guys for screwin up my shaft, I'll be P.M.en you for sure!
Didn't it have a 4 SPD in the NY?

take the one you have that you put the 727 yoke on that came out of yours and just cut 3" out of it. cut it right behind the welded place on the joint end. mesure up 3" and put a hose clamp there and then cut arond the clamp to have a straight cut then line the ujoints up push it in to make leaval and start wielding. fixed at least 10 and never had a vib. under 120 mph.
That's the way I have always done it, also keep the yokes clocked the same. I usually scribe a lengthwise line longer than what I am taking out so this position remains the same.
If you only cut down though the first layer by the weld( cutoff wheel) you can save the yokes insert section and it makes radial alignment a little easier. Measure 2-3 places around hose clamp, remember measure twice cut once.

A good formula to determine drive shaft length is the measure center of diff yoke cap to center of the slip yoke cap, (inserted into the trans to its full depth), and subtract 1/2" to allow for slip yoke travel.
A completely new tube is best.

I should have mentioned that this measurement needs to be taken at ride height.

I don't doubt that I could do it. I've done worse. I would still want it balanced tho. $100 isn't bad for cut and balance! I'm prolly gonna go that route. Thanks for all the input gentleman!

I don't doubt that I could do it. I've done worse. I would still want it balanced tho. $100 isn't bad for cut and balance! I'm prolly gonna go that route. Thanks for all the input gentleman!
So which route are you taking. I got lost.

a 727 is 3" longer than a 904 so you don't have to do all that trick math. just have 3" cut out of your old shaft or just measure your shaft and subtract 3" and you know how long of a shaft to look for. they make offset joints so that won't be a problem

Last edited:
a 727 is 3" longer than a 904 so you don't have to do all that trick math. just have 3" cut out of your old shaft or just measure your shaft and subtract 3" and you know how long of a shaft to look for. they make offset joints so that won't be a problem
I've got the factory measurements do a 440/727,I'm just going to use those.

You talking about these?

image.jpg

Back