Fiberglass scoop install on metal hood

bigfury3

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice or experience on installing fiberglass scoop on metal hood? My plan is to bolt it on, but I'm open to any ideas

IMG_20240703_155311.jpg

IMG_20240703_163025.jpg

logon to craigslist, sell the scoop and dont hack up your fury hood! Looks better without the scoop anyways!

logon to craigslist, sell the scoop and dont hack up your fury hood! Looks better without the scoop anyways!
Idk man I'm going to paint the scoop flatblack and also black out the grill. It will give it a meaner look in my opinion.

With the greatest of respect, if I were you, I wouldn't install it. However, it's your car, and you can do whatever floats your boat.

Sometimes we get major regrets when we do something in such a way as makes it nearly impossible to undo it - and in this regard, if you hack up your hood you might regret it and not be able to return it to the way it was before. Make it so that you can change your mind later.

I suggest that you use industrial adhesive like Panel Bond ( https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/structural-adhesives/ ) which would keep it there, but allow you to take it off (albeit with some major work) and not have a killed hood with gaping holes in it.

First I would check out some videos on You Tube, most use a two part epoxy with self tapping screws to hold the scoop in place until the epoxy dries. I would get another hood, strip off the paint, install the scoop and paint the whole thing satin black, that way you still have your original hood that matches the car. What ever you decide best of luck and keep us informed.

Your hood looks cherry. Why would you do this?
It's all a matter of person preference at this point. All power to him, however, the guidance he seeks might serve him better if we tell him how to do it in a non-destructive and reversible way.

If truth be known, I'm actually thinking of putting scoops on my Monaco, using the long thin 67 GTX scoops.

I have bought another hood to do that with so that I don't wreck my original hood.

There was a time when I was younger that hot rodding a car in this manner with a big aggressive hood scoop would have been something I thought was neato - along with big and little wheels and a rear wing and trumpet exhaust tips or side pipes. Not so much now, as I have moved more towards originality with more subtle mods.

I get where he's trying to go with his car and I truly hope that he personalizes his car in the way that makes him happy. However, all I want him to be able to do is to make changes in the future if his tastes change, and not regret his original decisions.

The second hood isn't a bad idea.
My uncle spent dozens of hours on the one for my charger with fiberglass and other materials. 15yrs and there's a couple bubbles starting.
My Coronet I used cheap fiberglass more like bondo in 1994 and it cracked within a couple years.
I found it difficult to get it perfectly smooth in the transition.
I would consider an exposed riveted style and not try to make the transition smooth.

I bond them and then fiberglass over the lip. Feather it in. Minor bondo to take out imperfections. My race car hood is now 23 years old and no cracks. Its sees 140 mph+.

Put it on the there. Plenty of flat hoods on those cars. I would not put a pro stock style hood scoop on, but period scoop is fine.

Add an inside metal flange and bolt it on from the bottom inside like the original max wedge scoops were.
My two cents?
This one is metal made by a skilled A/C duct builder and sheet metal guy.

IMG_2659.png

The second hood isn't a bad idea.
My uncle spent dozens of hours on the one for my charger with fiberglass and other materials. 15yrs and there's a couple bubbles starting.
My Coronet I used cheap fiberglass more like bondo in 1994 and it cracked within a couple years.
I found it difficult to get it perfectly smooth in the transition.
I would consider an exposed riveted style and not try to make the transition smooth.
Yes I'm planning on bolting it down.for now the car was in a garage since 78 so it's all stock and clean so I can't really do much as far as customization so that's why im going for the scoop and blacked out grill. Thanks for the advice

If you are going to use that scoop make sure you make a center support stand for the front. See first picture below. I have seen those types of scoops lift in the center and break. Also the last scoop I did like this on my 63 I spent a little more money and bought the one with the flange on the inside. See second picture below. It makes for a super clean look.

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

Back