Guilty Pleasures

Skeeball at Cedar Point .. havent been in a decade. Still would play if I ever found it anywhere else .. becoming shuffleboard for an oldtimer like me.

View attachment 609921

They have a bunch of Skeeball machines at an amusement park not too far from here at Sylvan Beach on the end of Oneida Lake.

2023-08-03.jpg

These bar/arcade bowling games are kinda along the same lines as skeeball. I've only seen one in my life, at Harvey's Wine Burger, (awesome s-hole dive bar with delicious greasy burgers) in central Phoenix. I dropped more than my fair share of quarters on that machine during company happy hour events back in the day.

3aa849f1e59e3e8d6b10f1f6115ff20e--bowling-games-pinball-games.jpg

one more game category ... my earliest memory was being TOO YOUNG to play carnival games.

this one below is the one SIMILAR to where you shoot a water gun, into a hole, a balloon inflated, and first player's balloon to burst wins a prize.

this one below i think has a water column fills and raises a plastic ball as your gun shoots a stream -- first one to top the yellow light flashes, bells ring, and get a stuffed animal almost as big as you.

not really a minimum age .. i was too young to hold the water gun steady for long enough.

f93bc87d4d5db20dcdf82692d34f6baa.jpg

then it became a way to pick up girls .. show skill by knocking over metal milk bottles (ala Redford's character in The Natural - "Roy Hobbs" with a baseball,

or just pure luck by a wooden ring dropped over a coca cola bottle, etc. and win a giant stuffed poodle.

Either way, you could get the girl! Stuff animals were chick magnets in the old days.

Anyway, nowadays, i should be taking my grandkids on the Merry-Go-Round (which I STILL LIKE even as a old coot) . Instead "Grandpa" cant wait to get to skill games.

All's forgiven IF I win them something though :)

1691455979251.png

aw, what a rook IF this is all the space they give you to throw at the metal milk bottles. at my height, i'd have to go sidearm (inaccurate) or underhand (weak).

I can see the next suitor is trying to figure out what kinda evening he's in for... she's like "ooh, i want that one". he's like "what a rook! theres no room to throw."

then he spends $50 for ten throws cuz that's the way it works with your gal at the Midway. :)
1691456549560.png

Last edited:
Holy crap. One of TWO left in the US?

I first rode this one as a lad iin 1968, with my kids in 1992 (ages 6 and 4 then), and plan to do it with youngest grandkid in 2024 (she'll be 2 - hopefully she'lll dig it.).

This is a specialized merry-go-round, apparently never that many to begin with. .. the racing derby style (mechanism patented first in 1917). The horses move ahead/fall back as the ride turns at 15 mph (fun but NOT too scary fast for most little ones riding with parents/older sibs, or alone).

Then ride ends, horses mechanically wind up "ahead" of the others and therefore "win" the derby. They used to let parents stand next to their younger kids while the ride was running .. duuno if they do that now.

My oldest daughter, when she was 3, didn't understand it was all random and was inconsolable at "losing" until she had it figured out the following summer -- coincided with finally being TALL enough to ride by herself. First time solo, her horse "won".

Anyway, getting big, heavy, old Dad off her horse made all the difference in her young mind. Never seen her happier in her whole life and we have the pics to prove it. :)

Those were the days... I freely admit to STILL enjoying any Merry-go-round even (perhaps especially because I am) now knocking on Medicare's door :poke:

Racing Derby Ride – One of Only 2 Left in US! Cedar Point

1691498228378.png

1691499054759.png
1691501299006.png

Last edited:
Heh... Speaking of Moonshine, Michael Ballad of Sturgis 'Full Throttle Saloon' fame has gone 'Full Bore' with the moonshine I seen when I was watching a Tube Live Stream from there. Let me see if I can grab some screenshot of his store. Oh lookee there Utube found fit to bookmark the stream right where I quit and moved onto something else (bikes). sweet!

Store view:

08-04-23.Sturgis 2023 Live From Full Throttle Saloon.005.FULL.SHOP.jpg

08-04-23.Sturgis 2023 Live From Full Throttle Saloon.004.PRODUCTS.jpg

Sippin Cream:

08-04-23.Sturgis 2023 Live From Full Throttle Saloon.002.SIPPIN.CREAM.jpg

Even Gee'tars & Vodka:

08-04-23.Sturgis 2023 Live From Full Throttle Saloon.001.GEETAR.jpg

08-04-23.Sturgis 2023 Live From Full Throttle Saloon.003.VODKA.jpg

Notes on the dialog from the salesperson: Cookies & Cream Sippin Cream 36% proof $33.39 and includes tax, can even put it on Ice Cream! Kinda a poo poo along the kiddie flavored low alcohol starter beverages that stores were promoting and selling years ago ya'think?

My experience with 'shine is very limited as the Georgia Boyz are very tight with the stuff years ago. But the one time I got a swig from the last inch or so of a plastic gallon milk jug... well lets just say 'turpentine' and leave it at that.

We had some Georgia Boyz in a space next to us decades ago at the Turkey run, they had a chopper that looked like it was created on one of these wanna'bee chopper shows and the way the small gas tank was positioned vertically I commented to them that you won't get many highway riding miles out of that tank. He responded to me with a statement "Boy you don't wanna ride that thing for more than one gas station to the next". heh They were a lively crowd but come Sunday I guess the 'shine had all run out and they appeared to be dragging anchor so to say.

I have tried several of the throttle moonshine flavors.
They are ok. I"m not a moon shine guy though, even though I remember tasting shine in Louisiana at 6 Y.O. Fire.
I usually pick up a jar of tractor fuel when I go to Alabama, Georgia and or Florida. Once a year. I sip it and offer it to my friends. Real shine.
Ballard has indeed gone full commercial. The full throttle saloon is ok for the party. But, no bikes in the crowd for the shows. No burn outs after the shows. Pretty, family friendly, if I must say.
Sturgis has become slightly lame as it is more and more regulated and everything is sponsored by lawyers or insurances. Very unfortunate.
One of my pleasures is riding for sure.

GOPR0146 - frame at 0m12s.jpg

That stuff is quite dangerous. Although I don't drink anymore, there was a jar of that at my wedding. No one got out of hand but it did sneak up on a couple people.
Not dangerous at all. What is in those jars is federally regulated like Jack Daniels or any other juice.

Dangerous in that it tastes like apple pie as opposed to gasoline (JD).
My wife thinks it tastes like gasoline. The flavored"moonshine is just flavored ethanol. Moonshine is mostly corn and sugar (to give the yeast something to eat) little rye and usually no malted barley. ANd of course it is distilled and jar'd and not finished in a oak barrel like whiskey or bourbon.

Why I love fall ... Only time of year they are available. Granny Smith's are best to me with caramel and nuts.

1695928008546.png

These bar/arcade bowling games are kinda along the same lines as skeeball. I've only seen one in my life, at Harvey's Wine Burger, (awesome s-hole dive bar with delicious greasy burgers) in central Phoenix. I dropped more than my fair share of quarters on that machine during company happy hour events back in the day.

View attachment 610046
We had one of those at Beef Eaters Bar n Grill in downtown Hanover square in horseheads ny. The growing up days!

We make Queens Apples. Sliced and cored apples in a circle. melted caramel drizzled all over, topped with ground nuts with whip cream and a cherry.

queen's apple.jpg

Ballard has indeed gone full commercial. The full throttle saloon is ok for the party. But, no bikes in the crowd for the shows. No burn outs after the shows. Pretty, family friendly,
HA! Maybe so but it wasn't that long ago (Season 6) that I saw he was scrapping the bottom of the barrel for new bizarre circus/carnival attractions to excite (shock?) his patrons... the episode where he was having the 'Suspension Artists' perform pretty much sealed the deal on me ever watching the show again (plus the place burned down).
If you don't know what a "Suspension Artist' is google it.

I loved the episode where he was bitching about the 'Freeloaders' going way back to Season 2... his southern Kentucky/Tennessee dialect was so hard to decipher that I had to listen to it a dozen times and write it down to get the gist of it... LAFF.

Full.Throttle.Saloon.S02-E06

Jesse: "The signs on the road says... free, it don't say buy a drink."

Michael Ballard:
"There was so many frick'in people in that line that didn't even have five dollars to pay to git in that door, two dollars, three dollars, they already drunk for they come here didn't have no money wad'int gonna ever spend a dime in my bar. But yet what they do is get up at the bar where all the girls are dancing an take up space where my damn people can't git... that have money wanna git to the bar."

Plus the (not) *FREE* tattoo sign... NO TIP NO TAT $20 Minimums.

Anytime I'm in a Sturgis live chat and someone brings up the FTS I have to inject the 'Where's Fajita Mike' question and you would be surprised at the Sturgis newcomers and youngsters that have no clue as to who he is.

Aw geez... I had to google it.

One more thing I don't understand why someone would do it for fun... or watch for that matter...
Yea it's just the bizarre circus/carnival that these 'Bike Rallies' have turned into these days John.
It use to be ride your motorcycle to a motorcycle race, the bigger more famous race, the longer you would ride and the antic's & sideshow via by the fans while racing wasn't happening (Laconia/Daytona) was just bikers letting off steam (or getting back at 'The Man').

I just saw a video of a bike show out in the 'State of Redoubt' where all these new tatted out 'Hipsters' were showing off there custom creations aka bobbers, rat bikes, converted Sportster hardtails, retro hardcore is what you would call it I guess. It was held in a old Idaho historical Jail and they even had a professional photographer there to take glam shots and wannabee tough guy shots of them behind the bars so they could post up Instagram pictures. OMG

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Yea it's just the bizarre circus/carnival that these 'Bike Rallies' have turned into these days John.
It use to be ride your motorcycle to a motorcycle race, the bigger more famous race, the longer you would ride and the antic's & sideshow via by the fans while racing wasn't happening (Laconia/Daytona) was just bikers letting off steam (or getting back at 'The Man').

I just saw a video of a bike show out in the 'State of Redoubt' where all these new tatted out 'Hipsters' were showing off there custom creations aka bobbers, rat bikes, converted Sportster hardtails, retro hardcore is what you would call it I guess. It was held in a old Idaho historical Jail and they even had a professional photographer there to take glam shots and wannabee tough guy shots of them behind the bars so they could post up Instagram pictures. OMG

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

While I'm not a biker, I've known a few. Some went to the larger bike rallies, but most didn't.

When my ex-business partner got his 120th anniversary Harley, his first real motorcycle, he and his wife started attending some of the larger rallies... Both of them are freaking posers... Had to have all the correct jackets and hats etc. I knew then that the rallies must be just places to go for them and their fellow posers and then wear the t-shirt(s) when they get home.

Back