Headers. Why?

When the guy Put on the Headers, he ran three Inch all the way back. They are expensive, And Money is too tight to just rip it all out and buy What I prefer, which is the 2 1/2 you prefer. But, your suggestion has merit, why don't I just sell the whole exhaust? I could then get what I think would be more practical. I am 95% sure it is three Inch, as it looks like the TTI's I bought for a Hemi ten years ago. My only other choice is to remove the Power steering box and go manual, so the headers don't hit both sides. I believe these headers were made for a Manual steering car. But my steering column Is a beautiful unrestored original and I don't want a manual Box. Not with a 440 engine.

Just asking why you would put a 3" system on 2 1/2" in dumps but since they are already hanging there it makes sense.......

I don't want to, but the alternative is to replace it all. It is nice, just not for me. I bought the car based on it's superb body, and the 440 six Barrel. But I would be happy with just looking at the HP manifolds. Hell they worked great in 1969-71. I am not out to beat everybody. if not TTi, or accurate exhaust, who makes a good 2 1/2 system to fit the original manifolds? I do have the 68-69's here already, so I don't have to search. I hate a lot of noise. I remember the sound of the original 71' GTX, and That would be good for me. Keeping in mind the sleeper look, this a four door sedan.HA HA

Are you guys using the shipping weights on paper or did you actually weigh these cars. The shipping weights are a guess and always to the low side. Anyone in the transportation industry will tell you don't believe a weight that the shipper gives you until you weigh it yourself.

I have weighed my cars at a local scale here, and the numbers advertised by Mopar are very close. sometimes, the advertised Mopar weight was slightly higher than actual.

I have weighed some of my cars and the title weight was always quite low.

My '68 Chrysler 300 2dr ht 440/727 with A/C but no power windows or seats... Title weight is 3,985 and on the scale it was 4,500 with no occupants and less than a 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm certain the Chryslers were a good chunk heavier than a Fury. I think just the grille assembly in a '68 300 is over 100 lbs.

My '70 Road Runner 440/833 title weight is 3,500, but has a 727 now; it weighs 3,880 on the scale on it's own with about a 1/4 tank of fuel.

I am getting sad. Don't let the origiinal poster be sad.
The topic is about headers on C-bodies.
Now everyone is drifting off about headers on this, headers on that, justifying headers.
Well I can justify murder selecting unique situations.
So tell me how headers can be relevent on a C-body seeing only street use. Other than the pure mental masturbation of the visual aspect.

Headers are headers, regardless if they are on A, B, or C body cars. The problems and advantages of them exist on all three.
If somebody on this site is considering headers on a C body, I'm sure they would like to know the ups and downs. The C body is about a three inch wider track, and three to five inch longer wheel base. Besides that, it is just another car. People race these cars, and if we want them to Interact, we share. A 440 with headers on a B body will perform the same on a C Body. Personally a C body that is upgraded the same as a B body can be a Interesting exhibit. A 68' Fury 440 hopped up would be a fun ride, as the arrogance of B Body guys would be challenged. That in itself would make it fun. C Body Cars don't have to be overweight sleds of the sterotype, unable to get out of their own way, to the Social Security office. And I'm 63 by the way.

I am getting sad. Don't let the origiinal poster be sad.
The topic is about headers on C-bodies.

Good grief... Can't have that....

'67 NewYorker Apr-May 2006 (49).jpg

Heavy or not, a good breathing 440 will move these things and shock the hell out of people.

This is a moderate 440... Low to mid 220's @ .050" with 906s that I ported. It has full 3" exhaust and sounds really good.

Magnum manifolds are bringing more and more money as we type, and the driver's side is C-body only also; Not?

A 383 may not have the need as much, but a moderate to strong running 440 will definitely utilize the ability to breath properly.

'67 NewYorker Apr-May 2006 (49).jpg

So, you are saying c-bodies benefit by headers when racing.
Yes they would, and in a wider car Like a C Body the Disadvantages decrease. I would actually consider a nice set of TTI'S in say a 68 coupe, build that 440 up and go look for the smart *** B body guys that think The sun rises and falls on B and E body cars. I have several nice B bodies, but some of the people I run into irritate me when they sneer at the "Boats" There is an elderly gentleman in Phoenix with a 58 Chrysler 392 Dual quad that to this day races and Humiliates more than a few of the younger whippersnappers with A and b body cars. I enjoy the nice Sedans, But I have owned a few C bodies that I definitely embarrassed a few B body guys with back in the 80's. I would tell them that they LOOK big, but is all AIR! HA HA That 68' new Yorker four speed will show up some day. I am Patient!

I have only one car that does have headers which is my Cougar. The headers went on when the engine was rebuilt/modified back in 1974 from carb, to heads, to cam, and to exhaust. Wouldn't bother with them on the Mustang, Polara and Park Lane. However, am toying with the idea on the F100. Cam dyno programs show the biggest improvement in an FE engine is by opening up the very restrictive exhaust system. One could go from 375 ft-lbs @ 2000 rpm to 417 ft-lbs @ 2000 rpm with headers. An extra 35-40 ft-lbs of torque, down low, couldn't hurt.

Headers are headers, regardless if they are on A, B, or C body cars. The problems and advantages of them exist on all three.
If somebody on this site is considering headers on a C body, I'm sure they would like to know the ups and downs. The C body is about a three inch wider track, and three to five inch longer wheel base. Besides that, it is just another car. People race these cars, and if we want them to Interact, we share. A 440 with headers on a B body will perform the same on a C Body. Personally a C body that is upgraded the same as a B body can be a Interesting exhibit. A 68' Fury 440 hopped up would be a fun ride, as the arrogance of B Body guys would be challenged. That in itself would make it fun. C Body Cars don't have to be overweight sleds of the sterotype, unable to get out of their own way, to the Social Security office. And I'm 63 by the way.

You mention the wider track, and such. When installing my headers, it felt smaller in the engine compartment than the 69 Charger I helped install a set in. That was 15 years ago though. It sure felt tight to me.

, build that 440 up and go look for the smart *** B body guys that think The sun rises and falls on B and E body cars. I have several nice B bodies, but some of the people I run into irritate me when they sneer at the "Boats" There is an elderly gentleman in Phoenix with a 58 Chrysler 392 Dual quad that to this day races and Humiliates more than a few of the younger whippersnappers with A and b body cars. I enjoy the nice Sedans, But I have owned a few C bodies that I definitely embarrassed a few B body guys with back in the 80's. I would tell them that they LOOK big, but is all AIR! HA HA That 68' new Yorker four speed will show up some day. I am Patient!
I started racing my 65 Fury because it was the only car I had at the time. I kept racing it because I liked the feeling of surprising people with my 'big boat'. I didn't have the fastest car at the track but I was more than a match for a lot of guys doing the snickering.
good times...good times..

I started racing my 65 Fury because it was the only car I had at the time. I kept racing it because I liked the feeling of surprising people with my 'big boat'. I didn't have the fastest car at the track but I was more than a match for a lot of guys doing the snickering.
good times...good times..

That doesn't look like the average race car. I bet you surprised a lot of people!

I'd love to take mine to a track, just none near me. 2 1/2-3 hours to the 1/8 mile, 3 and 4 hours 1/4 mile south and north, respectively. I'm sure it will get there someday. I still run it through at least one 1/4 mile romp every time I take it out. I was going to get a G-tech just to get an approximate idea of what it will run. And yes I know the G-tech uses a little different formula to get the time and mph.

Explained below that. I've never had a car on the track, I still drive spirited on the street.

They are absolutely 100% unnecessary for any real world non-race application, whatsoever. Does that make you feel better now, Stan? :eek:s_dancing2:

Back