Headers. Why?

Why not? But better money spent getting 2 1/2" pipes all the way up to manifolds 2 1/4 at the very least, and a x pipe.

That was the other thing I was going to mention about Accurate Ltd. exhaust, for my LP exhaust they only had 2 1/4" pipes. Might have been good enough for my 77 low compression smog engine, but not for future upgrades, and I didn't want to do the exhaust twice.

Allpar states the 69' Polara 440 magnum test results with the 3:23 ratio were 6.3 in the 0-60, 14.3 In the Quarter, and a top speed of 147 MPH. I believe those times definitely meet the criteria of 99% of muscle cars back then. The Police loved them, as 85% of all police cars sold in the time frame was a Mopar .

And, the Fury was faster yet.

Are you guys using the shipping weights on paper or did you actually weigh these cars. The shipping weights are a guess and always to the low side. Anyone in the transportation industry will tell you don't believe a weight that the shipper gives you until you weigh it yourself.

It's tough to fit 2 1/2" exhaust with all the bends needed. Not impossible if you really want it. I'am using stock manifolds running 2 1/4 true duals from manifolds back on my built 440 with an H pipe. I don't have any exhaust restrictions.

That was the other thing I was going to mention about Accurate Ltd. exhaust, for my LP exhaust they only had 2 1/4" pipes. Might have been good enough for my 77 low compression smog engine, but not for future upgrades, and I didn't want to do the exhaust twice.

Those 0-60 times...
Full or empty tank.
Thin or fat driver.
Hot or cold day.
Humid or dry.
Factory tire psi or deflated.
Stock or altered tune?
Track pavement.
Driver experience.
I could go on forever how any one of the above wil change a 0-60 time by a second or more.

Are you guys using the shipping weights on paper or did you actually weigh these cars. The shipping weights are a guess and always to the low side. Anyone in the transportation industry will tell you don't believe a weight that the shipper gives you until you weigh it yourself.
I have weighed my cars at a local scale here, and the numbers advertised by Mopar are very close. sometimes, the advertised Mopar weight was slightly higher than actual.

I've weighed my car, but on a sketchy scale the first time, and I never saw the scale numbers at the second scale, the gal just told me the number. I'm going to go to a certified scale sometime soon after the weather permits.

Just don't get sucked into the BS story about needing back pressure for torque and let a exhaust shop put 2" pipes on your car. Matter of fact just leave that shop because you will be arguing with laziness.

The available mopar literature serves best as a comparative weight to other models made. A VS B, etc. The local scales are a good place to verify. I know that my 2012 ram 3500 estimate of weight VS the scale was off by 20 lbs. So I believe Chrysler's numbers are accurate. As far as performance numbers, theses are easily verified in any number of places. It would be Interesting to put up a 69' Fury 440 Magnum next to a Charger R/T, just for fun. The worst that could happen is a nice looking Charger would have a Homely Plymouth fender next to the driver door after 1280 feet. . HA HA HA

I would take headers or factory HP manifolds any day over the OE log style manifolds. The log style are just too restrictive, even on a street engine. All you 'purists' can rag me all you want. I have fun with my 65 Fury, headers and all. (yes, I do have time slips to the tune of 12.35 in the 1/4).
I just don't think that guys should be snobbish about modified cars, even C-bodies. To each his own.

I would take headers or factory HP manifolds any day over the OE log style manifolds. The log style are just too restrictive, even on a street engine. All you 'purists' can rag me all you want. I have fun with my 65 Fury, headers and all. (yes, I do have time slips to the tune of 12.35 in the 1/4).
I just don't think that guys should be snobbish about modified cars, even C-bodies. To each his own.

At last... someone with an honest to **** time slip.

I don't think anyone here is condemning or being snobbish about someone modifying a C-body.

The bottom line is that most headers are installed as a cool factor, most of these cars will never be driven in a manner to take advantage of what little gain headers may add.

The reality there is more to gain with a simple cam swap but the average backyard mechanic is afraid to do that, headers seem to be a simple upgrade.

I had a 318 going 140+ with a cam and headers, still had the factory carter 2bbl carb (in a 73 Barracuda). The point is the cam probably did more for the speed than the headers.

No time slip although a ticket was more likely.

I don't think anybody is criticizing headers because they are not original but the effectiveness or practical aspect.

As I always say "effort:gain" what sort of gain (speed, time, wow factor, coolness...) at what effort (cost, physical installation issues, maintenance...)

Headers are not for me (at this time on my current projects).

Alan

The available mopar literature serves best as a comparative weight to other models made. A VS B, etc. The local scales are a good place to verify. I know that my 2012 ram 3500 estimate of weight VS the scale was off by 20 lbs. So I believe Chrysler's numbers are accurate. As far as performance numbers, theses are easily verified in any number of places. It would be Interesting to put up a 69' Fury 440 Magnum next to a Charger R/T, just for fun. The worst that could happen is a nice looking Charger would have a Homely Plymouth fender next to the driver door after 1280 feet. . HA HA HA

You know 98% of platform vehicle scales weigh in 20 lb increments

I would put headers on a stroker like this one...... 905 cubes with 5 stages of nitrous.

Since I'm not....i'm sticking with exhaust manifolds.

10917087_1052764211416232_3614628826773748117_n.jpg

You know 98% of platform vehicle scales weigh in 20 lb increments

I do know the scale guy is a cheap ***, and won't give me credit for an ounce over what I bring in across his scale. So his scale is on the nose. Weighed me in, then When I departed. my exit weight was within 20 lbs of the weight listed for my truck, Not Including me of course, and I had a full tank. And every time I leave there, the exit weight is the same.

I like a nice set of headers. The 413 I've got came with a set of shorty headers and a set of long tube 70's dodge truck headers. Are the shorty headers worth using? Or should I go with hp manifolds? The main reason Im concidering headers is I already have them. No out of pocket cost. Like my daughter dating, I have a problem with replacing stock parts with more stock parts. Its a force of habit to upgrade!

I once put Hooker headers on a 400 that I had in a 71 Polara, that was in 1984. They had no fitment issues but they did bottom out frequently, spark plug wires always fried and I did tear starters up every few months and the floor was always excessively hot. I have no idea weather or not they helped that puppy breath but I can tell you they looked cool under the hood.
I couldnt care less if someone puts headers under the hood..... makes no difference but they still look cool

I have a set of Hooker headers on the 440 in my 66' Coronet. They look cool, sound bad, and add to the personality. Unfortunately, they bang the Power steering box and passenger torsion bar If I rev it up. I got the car this way, and the header is so close to the Steering box I can't hook up a pump. I have to actually pull the engine to get the headers off. They are way too much trouble for me. I will put Manifolds in their place, once I can find a competent fellow to make a Connector pipe to hook up the Manifolds to very nice three Inch exhaust system. All will be good. Anyone want to buy a high Dollar Hooker Competion Header set? Lol

Back