Headers. Why?

Explained below that. I've never had a car on the track, I still drive spirited on the street.

They are absolutely 100% unnecessary for any real world non-race application, whatsoever. Does that make you feel better now, Stan? :eek:s_dancing2:

Looks like sarcasm font ;)

No way that statement had any remote possibility of containing sarcasm.

Why Magnum manifolds over the standard log manifolds??? A big expense for a minimal gain.

Why on earth would someone want to build their engine to run strong for what it is?

Who cares if every production car made today will blow your beloved doors off? "Don't even think about it Joe, you'll lose this one, these guys kissing in the car next to us are driving a Prius."

Why have a 440 in your car when a 318 will get you up to the posted speed limit just fine?

Why make a variety of cams with different power ranges? There should be stock cams for the street and race cams for the track/strip.

Why did Chrysler/Mopar offer factory gear ratios for their stock passenger vehicles ranging from 2.76:1 to 4.10:1? Stupid....

All cars that will not be raced at an official race track should remain stock and only cars that will be raced at the track should have performance parts.

AND NEVER try to make a big car fast....

See, it will never work; He only beat that Camaro by about 18 car lengths.

Just build it stock. That wasn't cool at all, whatsoever... not even... Just ridiculous... :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
No way that statement had any remote possibility of containing sarcasm.

Why Magnum manifolds over the standard log manifolds??? A big expense for a minimal gain.

Why on earth would someone want to build their engine to run strong for what it is?

Who cares if every production car made today will blow your beloved doors off? "Don't even think about it Joe, you'll lose this one, these guys kissing in the car next to us are driving a Prius."

Why have a 440 in your car when a 318 will get you up to the posted speed limit just fine?

Why make a variety of cams with different power ranges? There should be stock cams for the street and race cams for the track/strip.

Why did Chrysler/Mopar offer factory gear ratios for their stock passenger vehicles ranging from 2.76:1 to 4.10:1? Stupid....

All cars that will not be raced at an official race track should remain stock and only cars that will be raced at the track should have performance parts.

AND NEVER try to make a big car fast....

See, it will never work; Just build it stock. That wasn't cool at all, whatsoever... not even... Just ridiculous... :yes:

Man I'm really sorry to have mistaken you. You have convinced me where Stan could not

Why headers? Why not? I don't normally bow to peer pressure and don't really GAF what the group opinion is. Tried to pay my bills with someone elses opinion once, bank just laughed at me. Lesson learned.

Thanks for listening and GFY.

Stock manifolds on a 392 hp poly would be just plain wrong.

IMG_20130428_202906.jpg
IMG_20130428_203158.jpg

IMG_20130428_202906.jpg

IMG_20130428_203158.jpg

Man I'm really sorry to have mistaken you. You have convinced me where Stan could not
Thank has2bmopar for that post! Good to see I'm not the only one that can see the potential of one bad C body. That Camaro was probably looking for a left turn off the track somewhere!

I started racing my 65 Fury because it was the only car I had at the time. I kept racing it because I liked the feeling of surprising people with my 'big boat'. I didn't have the fastest car at the track but I was more than a match for a lot of guys doing the snickering.
good times...good times..

Please tell us a little about your car and the mods you have done to get it in the 12 second range. I have a 65 4 speed car I am putting a stroker in, and am interested in what mods your car has. I hate to hijack the thread, maybe start a new one for drag racing C's?

If the argument is that it is not worth putting headers on a C-body because a C-body is heavier than a B-body and the C-body would always be slower, at least on paper, then you could make the same argument about putting headers on a small block B-body, when the same engine in an A-body car should be faster because the A-body is a lighter car.

So, in other words, it's not worth building the Small Block in a B-body. Just leave it stock or swap in a Big Block. A lot of guys do build up their B-body Small Blocks though and get respectable performance from them.

That's the way I'm lookin' at this anyway. :)

I'm not likely going to install headers on my car, but it's nice to know that they are available if I want them.

I have a set of Hooker headers on the 440 in my 66' Coronet. They look cool, sound bad, and add to the personality. Unfortunately, they bang the Power steering box and passenger torsion bar If I rev it up. I got the car this way, and the header is so close to the Steering box I can't hook up a pump. I have to actually pull the engine to get the headers off. They are way too much trouble for me. I will put Manifolds in their place, once I can find a competent fellow to make a Connector pipe to hook up the Manifolds to very nice three Inch exhaust system. All will be good. Anyone want to buy a high Dollar Hooker Competion Header set? Lol
I will buy them pm if you are serious and not in a big hurry but I can use them for my Charger long term project

I'm in the "I like headers because they're cool" (said in a Beavis and Butthead voice) camp. But I probably won't be putting them on my Imperial. It's odd that companies like TTI sell long-tube headers for C-bodies, but don't sell the version that might be a better fit: Shorty headers. They would flow better than logs, be easier to fit, and with a ceramic coating might be a good alternative to HP manifolds.

But funds are not unlimited. If I'm looking at several hundred dollars for a set of headers that are, realistically, of dubious value outside of "cool," there are other ways I could spend it to better effect. They also clash with the aesthetic I'm going for, which is outwardly stock with internal mods. A way better place for me to spend the money would be on a roller cam with really aggressive ramps but short duration.

Please tell us a little about your car and the mods you have done to get it in the 12 second range. I have a 65 4 speed car I am putting a stroker in, and am interested in what mods your car has. I hate to hijack the thread, maybe start a new one for drag racing C's?

He used real big headers

my friend's '66 Newport with open headers. That sound on the highway is the only reason I need for headers.

Here's another one I like... I'm guessing Ross and 67Monaco will be fans.

I'll bet the A-body guy doesn't think it's 2 sizes too big anymore... 10.96 1st run... :grin: ... Sweet

He's a member over at cbodydrydock.com I believe. Or is that you and I haven't realized it yet.....

Back