Ivy my 68 Sport Fury gets a 440 swap!

BAD69FURY

Reaction score
I scored an opportunity over the summer to get my hands on a fresh rebuilt 440 and 727 trans through a good friend. It’s a G440 1971 RB 440 with 906 heads, 4 barrel 750 cfm Eddie carb with a Eddie performer intake. It’s got silvolite pistons, shorty headmen headers and a Clay Smith custom grind cam. We pulled the 318 and wasted no time getting the 440 in there.

IMG_5052.jpeg

Great looking car! I love the color and the old school Torque Thrust wheels and the newly installed 440. Nice job!

Cool, removing the hood is the only thing I’m not looking forward to on mine since it weighs about 85,000 pounds, lol.

Good to know it might work with the hood still on the car! Enjoy the 440 in there, looks like it’ll be a strong runner!

Very nice.!!
So this settles the question once and for all. There's no difference between a SB stub frame and a BB stub frame. The 440 bolted right in.

Nice, looks like it went in pretty easy from the top with the trans attached!
yes, surprisingly it went in fairly easy. The hood tilts up nearly vertically and we did remove the radiator for more clearance.
Cool, removing the hood is the only thing I’m not looking forward to on mine since it weighs about 85,000 pounds, lol.

Good to know it might work with the hood still on the car! Enjoy the 440 in there, looks like it’ll be a strong runner!
yeah, correction I think we tried to install with the hood on and the cherry picker arm got in the way so we removed the hood. It was way easier to install without the hood which gave us more natural light in the engine bay to see what we were doing. Very happy with the 440, definitely a strong runner!

Very nice.!!
So this settles the question once and for all. There's no difference between a SB stub frame and a BB stub frame. The 440 bolted right in.
Exactly right in this case with this particular car it was the same. All I needed for the swap was the 440 engine mounts and it bolted right into the car. No modifications were made to the stub frame.

Yes on stub frame. It was optioned with the 318, 383, 400 and 440. So makes sense either would work. Only difference is the 318 did not come standard with a sway bar. It could be added. The others did. Happy it all worked out and you definitely have a nice runner. I don’t recall what you had for gears in the diff. 3.55?

Back