My 78 NYB was hit by an off shore student driver....

Wow. So sorry. I bet they don't know how expensive of a repair this is going to be.

I had something similar to this happen to me many years ago. I was driving my 1970 Newport Custom 2 door into work, as I did on a daily basis one morning, and an Asian driver in an old Toyota Corolla decided to make a U turn from a curb parking space where there was a newspaper stand, to go back the way he had come. Unfortunately as I was passing by, he darted right into the side of my Newport and took out the door skin and passenger rear quarter all the way back to the bumper, all before I could even react. It was an expensive repair (fortunately the old man had insurance that covered it), but the old Corolla had a beam front bumper guard (under the fascia that was instantly ripped off his car) and that sharp corner ripped my car down the side like a can opener. That was the last time I drove my beautiful Newport into work as a daily driver and then put my Dakota truck into service. It wasn't worth the risk any more since there were an ever increasing number of drivers in the area that had little driving skills or even reasonable awareness and common sense as drivers. I wasn't too surprised that he had little concern about any of it and could have cared less what he did to my car. If he had done that to my 97 Concorde, he would have likely totaled the car.

I just logged on and saw what happened to your car Bob. I hate that. You need to get several estmates from reputable shops to get things settled ASAP.

This weekend is just getting better and better....

I just got home from the trip to Indiana to gt the txsm for the Newport and my neighbors come running up to me and tell me that NYB was smashed yesterday by an off shore student driver driving a mini van. She lives 50 feet from where the NYB was parked. Her Dad Mohammad said she panicked when another car came the other way and she smashed into the NYB and hooked on to the bumper. Then she floored the accelerator instead of the brake pedal and drug the 5000 lb NYB about 8 feet and smashed the NYB in to the curb. The cops had to assist to get the two cars separated. It was probably best that I wasn't home yesterday....

View attachment 49853View attachment 49854View attachment 49855View attachment 49856View attachment 49857View attachment 49858View attachment 49859View attachment 49860
Sorry to here that I think I would have !!!!!!!!!! Her hopefully the body guy can match the paint up to the original It's a lovely motor

Ouch! Sorry for your NYB, Bob. Good work with keeping your head cool, just keep it up!

Sorry that this happened. I too have been a victim of "drivers" that should never have been given a license...but this is not about me.
I hope all turn out for the best.

I don't think it's politics that are being censored here.... I've noticed that we can speak about any, and every official we care to.... but when we mention the current "P" that's when threads get closed, deleted ect......

Make sure you take it to a specialty shop that specializes in Hot Rods and/or Vintage cars, preferably one that does restorations to get quotes for their insurance company.

Alan

Hi Bob,

I feel sorry for you.
Hope it can be fixed without the car being officially totaled

Carsten

Hopefully you have classic insurance. Christmas eve a knucklehead hit my 85 Renault. His insurance tried to total my car out for a few hundred bucks. Since It appraised for 6500.00 they had to pay me full damage to my car and couldnt total it. Funny thing I just grabbed the fender and carefuly pulled it out, some buffing and new trim ring on my wheel, and looks almost perfect which I pocketed 2500.00 bucks! The smug insurance guy (his insurance) tried to say that all I would get (like 500.00) until I told him I will fax the appriasal and then he can stick it (wont use where I told him to). I totally feel your pain. Hope it all works out for you!!!

The other insurance company cannot total your car, yours can but not in a case like this.

A friend of mine is having his 67 Barracuda rebuilt after being rear ended, he didn't have specialty classic car insurance and the other company is taking care of it, no hastles even with adjustments after they openened it up.

Alan

Well the insurance of the guy that hit me thats what he said. Either way I dont care as my insurance took care of everything. I just didnt like being called by the guys insurance trying to tell me my car was worth 500.00.

Bummer Bob, I hope it works out for you. This is a fear I have with my "patina" on my Challenger one that it will be a pissing contest between insurance co. and that the repair will warrant a whole makeover which I don't want to do anytime soon. Good luck!

Sorry that this happened. I too have been a victim of "drivers" that should never have been given a license...but this is not about me.
I hope all turn out for the best.

As Bob said this was a student driver. From what I have seen the issue in these cases is more that they are an inexperienced student driver and that any student driver could do this in my experience. How many first year 17 year old drivers have wrapped their car around a light post? As to illegal vs. legal if both grew up here between the ages of say 1-16 and become student drivers would the legal driver be the better one automatically? Just curious since my wife, who is a legal but an immigrant and never driven a car, got her license after 4 years here. Should I fear for my son's safety in the car with her?

As for Bob I am sorry for your misfortune. Good thing you weren't around as I would hate to see you get in trouble with that howitzer you carry around in the trunk...

Back