My 78 NYB was hit by an off shore student driver....

Bob
Really sorry to hear about and see your car. It is so difficult to try and maintain a newer model car in excellent condition and the challenge is huge for classics. I know you have to be highly frustrated and more than a little PSSed.

I talked to my neighbor today that heard the crash and called the police for me. He said he wasn't sure they were going to stick around....they were looking around to see if anybody was watching. The accident happened Saturday....I called his insurance company Sunday and he still didn't report the accident to his insurance company!!!

By the way when dealing with the insurance company be sure to discuss Depreciated Value of your car, especially from a classic stand point. This is the same strategy that rental companies have used for years, it assumes that the value of a repaired car no matter how well repaired is less than that of an original in good condition.

I talked to my neighbor today that heard the crash and called the police for me. He said he wasn't sure they were going to stick around....they were looking around to see if anybody was watching. The accident happened Saturday....I called his insurance company Sunday and he still didn't report the accident to his insurance company!!!
Probably not an auto prompt for anything but English and Spanish.

I'm curious as to the paint on the NYB. Being 78 I am assuming it is not a clear coat. Would that be true? I know out here only water borne + clear coat could be used and if that happened to my car it would have to be transported to Reno Nevada. Nevada can still use single stage to match the finish of my car since clear coat can definitely not match my finish.

Well depending where they are located there may be a little time difference there !

icon_50_years.jpg

contact.png

I'm curious as to the paint on the NYB. Being 78 I am assuming it is not a clear coat.

The first Chrysler product to use basecoat/clearcoat was the silver on the 1978 NYB Salon. It proved to be pretty good quality...of course, this was back when real paint was used!

Sorry to see your car hit. I hope everything works out and glad to see you have a witness which helps in your situation. Best wishes to your situation.

Mix in a little Gamelan and you've got a winner, Boxcar Willie or Zamfir can't hold a candle :)

I hope you are fortunate enough to have a stated value Hagerty policy.

If the paint cannot be matched then they will pay for a complete repaint up to the value of your policy. You do not need to wait for the other insurance to cover it. Hagerty will issue a check and will pursue the issue with them.

Most specialty shops have dealt with Hagerty and will supply an estimate directly to them based on their own estimate, which may include a complete repaint if matching is in doubt.
Good luck.

I agree stated value is the way to go. I have mine through Grundy. I have never had to file a claim but it is reassuring to know it should be hassle free if I need to. These policies are surprisingly affordable especially if you have multiple cars. I have 3 cars on my policy with a stated value of $75k ea. and it is in the mid $500 range annually for all 3.

'59 Coupe Deville with 28k mi is the value driver. The rest are covered at the same level as they are all on the same policy.

Back