My 78 NYB was hit by an off shore student driver....

Sorry about your NewYorker can't imagine how your feeling. Hope the cost to repair it isn't to pricey. If that happened to my car somebody's *** would be getting kicked. Best of luck to you.

I'm sorry to see what happened to your car. That would be horrible to come home and find that.

I guess we all worry a bit every time we go out for a cruise, but to have it happen while parked at home. Wow!

There seems to be a lot of drivers here lately from other places who don't seem to understand our rules of the road and some who don't seem to be very skilled drivers either, to put it mildly. The thing that happens to me a lot lately is people suddenly making left turns from the right lane of a one-way street. I've been in the left lane and had to hit my brakes because they turned directly in front of me.

Damn, that sucks Bob. Probably good thing you weren't around to see them thinking about running. Now comes the fun part. Feel for ya.

Well, I've come to a decision. It is going to cost too much to get the whole car painted and the rust fixed. I'm going to get whatever the insurance will fix done now and the NYB will just be a DD. Long term...my plan is to get a rust free car from out west. I want to get the Newport roadworthy so I can bring to Carlisle in July. I pretty much have everything now to do that. I just need to find the time and to introduce my new girlfriend to 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches.

What "new" girlfriend?

I really feel crappy about all this. It seems that idiot really deflated your sails about the NYB. You put so much into it.

Ya that really is a crying shame. We all know how much TLC you put into the NYB, and deservedly so.

This weekend is just getting better and better....

I just got home from the trip to Indiana to gt the txsm for the Newport and my neighbors come running up to me and tell me that NYB was smashed yesterday by an off shore student driver driving a mini van. She lives 50 feet from where the NYB was parked. Her Dad Mohammad said she panicked when another car came the other way and she smashed into the NYB and hooked on to the bumper. Then she floored the accelerator instead of the brake pedal and drug the 5000 lb NYB about 8 feet and smashed the NYB in to the curb. The cops had to assist to get the two cars separated. It was probably best that I wasn't home yesterday....

View attachment 49853View attachment 49854View attachment 49855View attachment 49856View attachment 49857View attachment 49858View attachment 49859View attachment 49860
Sheezus H Christ Bob! Sorry to hear and see this! I hope that every thing works out for you. I know everyone is pulling for you and that you keep your cool...even though you would like to beat the stuffing out of someone. I'm sure it will be OK

Bob, I don't know why this is is bothering me so much as well. Probably because we both share a particular passion for all things Formal.
But I was thinking that if I was in this situation I would bite the bullet, maybe sell the NYB, and just buy one of those rediculously low mileage Formals. It would be turnkey (except for the mandatory Edelbrock conversion and maybe a wiper linkage repair).
I dunno, just a thought. Turn a crap situation into a golden opportunity.

You can buy my Salon!!!
car-salesman.jpg

Lol

What "new" girlfriend?

I really feel crappy about all this. It seems that idiot really deflated your sails about the NYB. You put so much into it.

The girlfriend I brought to Carlisle last year is history. I have a new girlfriend now and I told her about Carlisle. She didn't seem overly impressed with a giant car show. If she wants to go that's fine......if she doesn't want to go that's fine too.

The NYB is still a well running Formal. I'll never get rid of it and I'll continue to drive it cross country.

Bob, I don't know why this is is bothering me so much as well. Probably because we both share a particular passion for all things Formal.
But I was thinking that if I was in this situation I would bite the bullet, maybe sell the NYB, and just buy one of those rediculously low mileage Formals. It would be turnkey (except for the mandatory Edelbrock conversion and maybe a wiper linkage repair).
I dunno, just a thought. Turn a crap situation into a golden opportunity.

This has been bothering me too. My long term plan is to buy a low mileage, turn key Formal from out west. I'm in no hurry....

Definitely you're changing Girl friends faster than cars, Bob. ;)

Back