Need your help with valuation: low mileage '73 Newport

Snotty, if a scumbag flipper is holding a $25k car hostage for $50k, I would have zero problems offering him 50%.
You can't insult insult those kind of people. They thrive on it.

Depends on the seller.

But Stan, you're assuming that you and I would know the guy selling is a flipper. It would be an assumption.

The "value" of cars today is incredibly out of scale. I read that in the recent issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines that a '71 'Cuda Hemi 'vert sold at an auction for $2.25 million! That's a JOKE!!!! A mass-produced, American car, built on the same assembly line as a 318 or /6 E body should never have gotten above $100,000, in my opinion. But, there it is! "What, you have a E Body that's an original Hemi? I'll give you one million!" Ridiculous!

So, this guy has a '73 low-milage Newport Sedan in very good shape. He sees this nonsense and thinks, "Hey, it's not a Hemi ragtop 'Cuda, but if they're paying that kind of ridiculous dough for one of those, I should be able to get 8 grand for mine, at least?" It's not a bad thought, and it may not be a person's intent to gouge the general public. Now, will he get that amount? Probably not. But a 50% offer id way off base - in my opinion.

If someone offered me 12 grand for my Newport I'd take it in a heartbeat! But, if I were to list my car for 12 grand, in any publication or website, you KNOW I'd be hearing the same type of insult and BS that is being said about this guy's car. Yet, people will list a '75 GM ragtop for 15-20 grand every day, and claim the rarity of owning the last of the GM 'verts. And they GET IT!! I'm going to the Fall Fling in Van Nuys with my son this month. I know I'll see basket-case E Bodys, with a truck full of rust, being sold for 25 grand or more. Yet, if I were to tell one of those sellers, "I'll give you 13 for it," I'll be given his/her middle finger in reply.

Where's the equity in that?

That's my point.

I don't see too much of a Problem for a documented extremely low milage example of such a plain and to most boring four door sedan, if it all works like it should. The 2.5 k Rules of thumb and such don't apply to such time capsules at least for me. I consider them best buy no matter if it's from a flipper, cost 4k, 6k or even 8k.

Leaving the engine/carb issues to a potential buyer in this Price range however isn't right IMHO.

I would go like $55,000 for a Hemi E body. I get people all the time that think I just found my Challenger and think they are going to pry it away for a few thousand I am not insulted just humored. Some that think they are the cats meow may get led on a bit. Thats too much money for a car that does not run right period, its probably a stuck choke but now it is dollars that the buyer needs to keep in there pocket.

Back