Need your help with valuation: low mileage '73 Newport

jtpoltrock

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I just came across a 1973 Newport sedan, black top over metallic brown body, with 3,500 miles. I did a pretty thorough inspection of the car and, while it does not have any documentation to prove it, it seems to be the real deal. It is as about a plain jane Newport as you could find, and as opposite a car could be from my '66 Imperial Lebaron in terms of creature comforts. The only option I could identify was a vinyl top. It is near- immaculate and the underside is clean. Current owner replaced the battery and fuel tank. It does have an obvious carb problem. Given what I saw I'd say the floats are sunk. Very light surface rust on the underside of the passenger side rear quarter, otherwise none found. Engine compartment and trunk dusty, but appear to be a snapshot from 1973. 400 ci engine. The car runs and drives but is running rough and super rich. Seller is looking for $8,000, I offered what I thought was a generous $4,300. What do you guys think this car is worth?

Here are a few pics i took:

Meeme-20150925-00519.jpgMeeme-20150925-00521.jpgMeeme-20150925-00522.jpgIMG-20150925-00518-2.jpg

Meeme-20150925-00519.jpg

Meeme-20150925-00521.jpg

Meeme-20150925-00522.jpg

IMG-20150925-00518-2.jpg

I think you made him a fair offer considering it wasn't running right.

I agree, fair for you. She looks real nice, if the miles are what you actually say they are Id go 6K if I wanted it bad enough. Dont plan on flipping it

That is looking good. Do you have a close up picture of the speedo? There's a few tell tale signs if its turned over if we see a picture.

Price increase to $3500 so far. A lot more pictures would be nice.

I think $4,300 is a fair enough offer based on all this info.

If you are really keen offer a little more.

I would hang tight for a couple of weeks and then call back to check in.

Unfortunately I only took these 4 pictures, so none of the speedo. Numbers looked aligned... what should I have looked for there?

Funny story-- my brother-in-law spotted it sitting in the front yard for sale. He thought it was a Chevy at first. When he sent me a picture I new right away it was a Newport or New Yorker C body, but looking straight on at the front end I can see the resemblance. And the grill ornament from a distance does look like a bow tie.

Funny story-- my brother-in-law spotted it sitting in the front yard for sale. He thought it was a Chevy at first. When he sent me a picture I new right away it was a Newport or New Yorker C body, but looking straight on at the front end I can see the resemblance. And the grill ornament from a distance does look like a bow tie.

:icon_hang: ..............:elmer:

I agree, fair for you. She looks real nice, if the miles are what you actually say they are Id go 6K if I wanted it bad enough. Dont plan on flipping it
It is a '73 sedan.

It is a '73 sedan.

I know what it is BUT sometimes if you really want a certain car and you find one in premium condition and in a not Green color then you may pay higher than expected but not asking
I've never been afraid to pay high for the right car, after all, I ain't selling. The longevity in the garage speaks for itself.

Wow! You offer the guy 53% of his asking price and you're wondering why he didn't take it? Whether or not you think it's worth that, or less, such an offer is an insult.

I can't believe how some of you are suggesting even a lower price? I think all of us have complained about the lack of respect of C Bodies receive, yet this car is being put down because it's a sedan?

If you think the seller is asking too much, walk away, don't insult the guy!

I kinda feel like you do. Honestly the car is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. I have politely passed on making an offer on vehicles if I fear I will insult the owner.

Wow! You offer the guy 53% of his asking price and you're wondering why he didn't take it? Whether or not you think it's worth that, or less, such an offer is an insult.

I can't believe how some of you are suggesting even a lower price? I think all of us have complained about the lack of respect of C Bodies receive, yet this car is being put down because it's a sedan?

Well, I've never been afraid of insulting anyone AND if I can get a deal on something why not? After all, I'm never going to see him again regardless of the outcome.

If the price isn't near right or what it's really worth, I've always just said "I can make you an offer but it's going to be quite a bit lower than what you are asking". If they reply negatively, I go away. If you are polite about it, you don't insult.... You just state the fact.

Heck if that upsets you, the Formal mantra here is $2500 for some nice cars. I think they're worth more, but I am really in the minority for liking Formals to begin with.

Heck if that upsets you, the Formal mantra here is $2500 for some nice cars. I think they're worth more, but I am really in the minority for liking Formals to begin with.

I think my Newport is worth more than I could get for it to, but that's not my point. It seems to me the whole context of this thread is a seeking of justification for an offer of 53% of the asking price. I had the same happen to me once; I was selling a '79 360 Cordoba for 2 grand, and some guy offered me $1,000, and tried to convince me it was a good price. I told him no, 50% of my asking price is an insult, and wished him a good day. I ended up getting the 2 grand that I was asking, but I still remember that insult.

Would any of us imagine ourselves looking at a $50,000 priced car and then offering 25? What would that be? An insult! That's my point. Imagined values and worth has nothing to do with it.

Back