New Member, New Polara

This body shop sounds like when my brother and one of our friends made a lower quarter panel for a 72 Toyota corona. We found an old water heater laying in a field and they stripped the outer shell off of it for the panel. They shaped it by hand and just bent 90s on the panel for flanges and drilled holes and used #8 machine screws and nuts to hold it all together, then slather it down with bondo. It looked surprisingly good, but was 100% butchery. This was 1985 I think. Good times I tell ya!
Travis..
It was a '72 Corona, so no loss at all.

The difference is that these clowns had a welder and knew better. They did the right side okish, if anything welding it too much, and then completely phoned it in on the left. I'm just glad grandpa never knew how badly he was robbed.

Last edited:
Love the wagon!

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9384.jpg

Not much to go on...

Original was 20 gauge or so. I stepped it down to 14 gauge, should hold up better.

Also bought a big ole sparkle plank.

IMG_9362.jpg

Probably too much sparkle plank. Way too much.

Oops.

Last edited:
IMG_9461.JPG

IMG_9463.JPG
IMG_9488.JPG

Borrowed a buddy's plate roller to make the inner quarter and chamfer stock for the 3rd row footwell

Life's easy when you got the right tools.

Ow my knees.

Is that cold-rolled steel that you buy? It has no mill scale but maybe an oil coating that you need to remove for welding? Are you doing tig or mig? What gas do you use?

Is that cold-rolled steel that you buy? It has no mill scale but maybe an oil coating that you need to remove for welding? Are you doing tig or mig? What gas do you use?

It's whatever the local metal fab place uses, they sell to me at a good price.

I use fluxcore mig like a caveman. Works ok.

IMG_9512.JPG

Got this zapped in, clean it up tomorrow. Should come out ok.

Longtubes are now on their way from the distributor. Learned the meaning of "Paid the piper" today. Ow.

I have about three weeks to get this thing roadworthy for the big car show here. It won't be done, i'll be crusing around in bare metal and with a giant hole in the side, but I intend to run it.

Oh boy.

Stev, As I said before, you are an inspiration! I truly look forward to your progress. WRT going to the show with an unfinished car- that will be an inspiration to many!
At our weekly show in the village down the road, we see cars in all stages of repair, and watch the progress as they are improved (or not) as time goes on. Same at the yearly show (The Atlantic Nationals). Seeing cars progress shows the skill and dedication of the owner. Also the owner has the opportunity to find assistance and encouragement from others.
Would be great to see pictures of your Polara as it is today.
Lindsay

It's whatever the local metal fab place uses, they sell to me at a good price.

I use fluxcore mig like a caveman. Works ok.

View attachment 673317

Got this zapped in, clean it up tomorrow. Should come out ok.

Longtubes are now on their way from the distributor. Learned the meaning of "Paid the piper" today. Ow.

I have about three weeks to get this thing roadworthy for the big car show here. It won't be done, i'll be crusing around in bare metal and with a giant hole in the side, but I intend to run it.

Oh boy.
You’re doing absolutely amazing and the right things!

Have you handled the tailgate situation yet?
I’m very curious about what has been challenging you regarding this…

You’re doing absolutely amazing and the right things!

Have you handled the tailgate situation yet?
I’m very curious about what has been challenging you regarding this…

No that's still locked in place. I figured out why it's jammed up though.

IMG_9404.JPG

The bottom corner of the sill here was completely gone, there was nothing structural here, all bondo. So when i cut out the floor, this sagged.

It looked fine beforehand, of course. All nicely painted, but there was nothing there. I really should've dropped the tailgate first and braced the sill up with angle iron, but at that point i still thought i could do this without touching the paint, i had no idea how bad it really was.

1721527699652.jpeg

1721548780244.jpeg

It's the little things that get you, like this little bracket.

I really want the floor in by next sunday. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Back